2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Well I picked one of these up fought the dealer over putting a real set of tires on it. So now I'm stuck and we will see how it works out for me.

6spd manual has lots of fancy things I don't know how to use yet lots of stuff I must turn off when I start it up. Maybe will upgrade it in the future. Camper shell? One of the big points that sold me on it was a real first gear. Let the clutch out and goodbye. Then it has a selectable E-locker in the rear.

Heard many good things about Tacomas for years so here we go.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 5,543
Nice looking truck Jake. What kind of fuel mileage
are you getting?

JD338

They are great vehicles, Jake. I believe you're going to enjoy it.

I have a 2017 SR5 and I really like it. Had a 2010 but a trunk ran over us and totaled it. They are good trucks.

I especially like the idea of a standard transmission. I know that automatics are great, but the control (first gear, especially) given by a standard is most satisfying for this dinosaur.

Tacoma's are fantastic trucks and I would also be quite happy with a standard transmission especially a 6 speed.

Mike yes indeed I guess that makes me older than the dinosaurs as well. It has a real first gear in it too. Let the clutch out and your gone none of this Reving up or touching the throttle.

Jim no idea. I have 388 miles on it. I'm think I can push 22. The gearing in the manual is shorter than the auto. Claim 20 on the window for manual 22 for auto.

It has lots of creature features and all these idiot protection devices in it.

Those are very popular with my buddies who venture far into remote areas for days at a time. I lead some of those trips and am always happy to see one of the newer Tacomas or other Toyota 4x4's show up.

Excellent reputation. And my goodness - if you want to spend money on accessories... Winches, bumpers, tires, racks, lights... :) You certainly can. But it's an awfully nice vehicle, just as built by Toyota.

This nicely set up Tacoma belongs to a good friend. It's awesome!
4MQeiGVh.jpg

Enjoy!

Nice buy Jake! What kind of tires do you have on it?? I suspect you brow beat them until you got 10 ply all terrains of some type!! You start listening to Guy here and pretty soon you will have all sorts of extra gadgets for that thing!! I guess that applies to pretty much the rest of us also though.

Suggestion for the very first thing that you do. Take it in on the very first oil change at the dealer and when you do request they shut off the seat belt warning alarm so you can get in the darn thing and creep down a mountain road or in the fields at your ranch without the stupid thing going crazy. It only takes them a few minutes to deprogram it and it's worth it!!

Great looking truck Jake! Seems like a nice rig. I like those little Toyotas. Pretty handy little rigs!

Nice looking truck. I would be ecstatic if my GMC Sierra would get 20 mpg. Ran a Ford F-150 for years with a manual transmission nothing wrong with them. Enjoy your new ride.

I have a 2010 standard cab, and I caught some flack from my buddies with their full size trucks, but the little "Taco" very soon gained their respect with its off road capabilities, fuel mileage, and amenities...It has 98K miles on it now, and aside from preventative maintenance, tires and replacing a tail light, it hasn't seen a mechanic. I think you'l be quite pleased with your purchase.

I think they're a nice truck . I like the ones I've had . I just bought another one in June . I've had an 2008 , 2013 , and now a 2018 . no problems with any of them . they really hold their value at trade in time .

With the way GMC is pulling out of North America after taking billions of bail out money from the U.S. and Canada my current truck will be the last one I own. We took a couple of used trucks for a test drive back to back, a Tundra and Tacoma and they both were very nice. We are looking at a Tacoma because of their better gas mileage and more compact design. Probably later this summer or early fall, got to save up since they hold their value so well ;)

Jake taking the Tacoma was a wise investment :wink: here in Saskatchewan and I even believe western Canada they are the top resell vehicle on the market.
That truck will take you basically anywhere you want to go and will do it with better gas mileage as well (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Last summer my son bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma, replacing his 20 year old Subaru. He's been through hunting season and one winter with it and still loves it.

His is the TRD package also, with the 6-speed manual transmission. Once in a while I even get to drive it! So much smoother and nicer than my Jeep.

nACR2L8h.jpg

I'm happy for him, he drove that old Subaru Outback for ten years, and now a friend has it.

Guy

The Tacoma is a pretty sharp vehicle, that's for sure. I do like the idea of the manual transmission.

They are nice trucks. And man are they capable as well! That’s a great color as well.

Jake it's sure hard to beat a manual transmission for hunting and outdoor activities. Give us an update on what you are getting at Interstate speeds say around 75 mph.

I had a 1999 4WD Tacoma and still driving a 2012 4WD Tacoma both with the manual transmissions.
Had a hard time finding one with manual trans. in 2012 - Glad to see you can still get one.
Was disappointed with original tires for off-road,
so bought a set of steel take-off rims and mounted a set of mud hogs.
Put them on for hunting season. But use highway tires on original rims 9-10 months a yr.
Truck drives completely different between those tires. Much better on road with highway tires!!!
Only wear out 1 set of mud tires over life of truck - Wear out bunch of highway tires.
Those mud tires cost almost 3 times the cost of highway tires.

Back