Trail Camera

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I bought 4 trail cameras yesterday.

A pleasant surprise when I opened the box.

I bought 2 moultrie A900i bundles.
30 mega pixel, 0.4 second trigger time.
In the box was a coupon for a free cellular modem. Actually it was 9.99 for shipping and handling. Limit, 1 cellular modem per moultrie trail camera purchased.

So for $79.99 + 9.99+ sales tax per camera, I have a couple cellular cameras.

I did buy two XB6000’s which have built in cellular.

I’ll test them and let you know why I think.

The XV6000 is 16 mega pixel and 0.9sec trigger speed, while that spec is not impressive, it does know the difference between a Turkey, a buck, a doe and a person. So you can use meta data to filter what you look at on your phone.

Two are on Verizon and two are on AT&T.

I’ll probably use Moultrie’s plan as it’s affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So one difference in the units, one pair is a camera modem single unit, and the other is a separate modem and camera.

I speculated there would be an advantage to having two parts.

For my father in laws bear hunt, I was able to get the two part units to connect and work. The single units were facing north and the cell towers were south of us.

Another difference. The VX-6000,
I can adjust the sensitivity PIR, resolution, camera mode etc. maybe all the settings?
e1c2b8cf1f9bc9f14b25a8c78585e002.jpg

The other I can’t adjust sensitivity over the air, but I can change delays and some other modes
cd2a26abddf0b855b1a3c4a40d9a122c.jpg

Finally, camera 3 which is also in a cellular compromised location. I can see picture counts and when the camera last successfully connected.
I don’t always get the pictures. I find the thumb nail photos are adequate for determining shooter or not shooter.
Camera 3 has been there 5 days and I’ve got maybe 50 of 500 pictures.
The other cameras which have good signals, I get all the pictures and the AI seems to work. I get a text for a buck, and email for does. Text for a person in the picture too.

You can see battery status for the modem and camera. Number of pictures taken, memory card space etc. I do have a big battery with a solar charger, so I expect I can not attend the cameras until it’s time to retrieve them.
1c691cb739372a5f0a4c34236f520681.jpg

The tech has really improved. 5G might be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that you have secured a great system for surveying your AO. That is pretty impressive.

Back