Frankford Arsenal universal micrometer seating die

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
I bought one of these last year, and have been working with it lately. I really like how easy it is to set up, and it seems to give very accurate and repeatable results. I don't have a way to check runout, so I can only assume that it's at least as good as any other non-competition seater.

For those who aren't familiar, it has a set of bullet guide inserts, covering the common calibers from .22 to .338, I believe, plus 3 different VLD seating stems (so it doesn't touch the bullet tip). You insert the correct bullet guide and stem, screw the die into the press until the seated depth is getting close, and then adjust the micrometer from there. Easy-peasy, for less than $70 (at least, when I bought mine).

Anyone else have any experience with it?

1116715_Universal_Bullet_Seating_Die.jpg

We've been using it on a variety of calibers and loads over the last year or so, and it seems to work well. Once you get it set for your cartridge/bullet combo, the CBTO is repeatable, within .001-.002" in most cases. I'm satisfied with it.

I was looking for it in 2020, but here (on the wrong side of the ocean) it was simply an illusion.
Then I did go for the similar Rcbs for an higher price but above all it come with only one caliber specific insert. The quality is high as usually Rcbs is, but one die only for each caliber.

I would like to add to what you said by pointing out the ease and comfort of the side opening in the die to properly insert the bullet. This did avoid me to buy a larger press to reload a magnum caliber as .338 Lapua.

Here Frankford is not usual as Rcbs or Reddings but i think that you are confirming its quality too.

Back