Jon A":2o69ir6n said:
ABPT1.JPG

ABPT2.JPG

From left to right:

308 Cal 200 AB, 3170 fps: Penetration 11". Retained weight 133.6, 67%
338 Cal 225 AB, 3100 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 145.2, 65%
375 Cal 260 AB, 2700 fps: Penetration 12". Retained weight 203.6, 78%
375 Cal 260 PT, 2700 fps: Penetration 10". Retained weight 219.0, 84%

It was nothing too scientific, but I thought some might enjoy seeing the results. The medium was firewood:

ABPT3.JPG

Over the years I've found it to give results very close to what one can expect on game (depending upon where you hit the game, of course--no medium contains all the variables a big game animal does). This wood was greener and wetter (and of course, frozen) than what I've usually used in the past and penetration was about 35% less compared with past tests with the 200 & 225 which I've tested quite a bit. I feel it was a pretty tough test at full muzzle velocity.

Of note, the 260 Partition was the only bullet that failed to exit the first log:

ABPT4.JPG

The 200 AccuBond exited the first but bounced off the second. Both the 225 AB and 260 AB made it 1" into the second log.

All outstanding bullets IMHO. Sorry, I haven't recovered any of these bullets from game yet. Maybe someday I will, but I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

Wow, you aren't kidding Jim. Wood is brutal on bullets! Great test! Scotty

That is a cool media to test Mike. Talk about brutal, frozen wood! :shock: Nice pictures and results as usual sir!
This forum is going to see a lot activity me thinks. I feel it will give us some good information on various bullets and how they work, plus it's just plain old fun. I personally cannot wait to see more recovered from game, but as we often find out, it's hard to keep them inside animals at times. Good job there Dr.Mike.
David

I have also found that firewood is good test medium to find out what to expect terminally on game. i worked backwards. i had recovered several 225 gr. partions from elk just under the hide. i then tested the same load into dry cherry. penetration was 9". MZ vel 2,930 fps. it was a good starting point for future testing.

Always nice to see a tester using a medium that all of us have access to!!!! Great report on this bullet .

WOW !!!!

Great test report!

And that "old" 260 gr. .375 Partition held 84% of its original wt. Thru the years, some 60 of them tryin' to dig spent bullets from big-game carcuses, I also have found that the Partition will do just that. Shot after shot, from .338s/.340s using 210-250 grainers. And the 300 gr. from most .375s.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a few boxes of those very good ABs settin' on the shelf also.

Jim

I haven't tried the 260 gr. PT yet in the .375 JDJ, but intend to. Not a powerhouse, but it was purchased to use in timber with the longer shot possible, to 200 or so. I've always been a PT fan.

Back