Best test medium

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
Have any of u used soil/sand to test bullet preformance? water seems to lack the tendency to "grab" the the outer perimeter of the jacket the way bone and muscle do. this, as u all know,tends to cause the core to slip from the jacket. firewood seems to have its own special issues. what do u use and why?

I settled on the water-filled jugs several years ago - because it's inexpensive, easy to clean up, and the results are easy to replicate. For instance Scotty in Virginia can run the exact same test as I run here in Washington and we can compare notes. Water is water - same consistency time after time.

Haven't used soil much - except to occasionally dig a bullet out of a berm.

Have used wet newsprint - very heavy and a mess to clean up.

Have used dry newsprint - tougher than wet. Easier to clean up.

Have used dry catalogs & magazines - a very tough test medium. That stuff tore apart some well respected hunting bullets. Jacket-core separations on .375" 270 gr Hornady SP's.

Thought about that "Bullet Test Tube" device - interesting - and likely very good, repeatable results. Expensive though.

Soil could be good - but I think it's going to be hard to ensure consistency. Different soils have different compositions. Clay, sand, gravel, just plain ol' dirt... How do we pack it the same time after time? I don't know. Still, there's no question, shooting into soil can cause a bullet to mushroom, and the penetration results can be measured. It will work.

So, the water jugs aren't perfect, but they'll continue to be my choice.

Regards, Guy

gerry":1qoo3whs said:
The odd time I have used soil to do it but usually use 4 liter milk jugs. Soil seems to be much tougher on a bullet than a game animal would be.

Would like to buy one of these some day.

http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

This is fun for one shot. After that you have to remelt it and pour it into a new tube. It gets messy really fast! And if you spill any, say on your moms concreat porch, or picnic table, you will not hear the end of it till it is gone. And that was eight years ago!

Yes, you wouldn't want to make your mom mad :)
I'm pretty happy with the milk jugs, just like Guy said we can all compare results easily.

Guy Miner":1je2tbyj said:
But Gerry - you're using that Canadian water.... :grin:

That's true our Canadian water just might be a bit tougher :lol:

Water may not grab jackets but the plastic between the jugs will tear at them. Hard to beat the jugs, low clean up and darned near free. Plus, like Guy said, it's really repeatable. At least enough for us bullet grunts.

I have had great luck with the 2.5 gal chemical jugs. Tripple rinsed of course :wink: The plastic is a bit tougher, and it doesn't take as many to stop a bullet if you turn them side ways and shoot through the side.

"but the plastic between the jugs will tear at them"

Thanks Scotty - I forgot that I recovered a "petal" from a Barnes TSX, stuck in the plastic of a jug. The rest of the bullet was recovered from a different jug, farther down the row. The plastic did tear at the bullet, and tore a chunk off.

IMG_0505.jpg

Guy Miner":3pxohiuq said:
I settled on the water-filled jugs several years ago - because it's inexpensive, easy to clean up, and the results are easy to replicate. For instance Scotty in Virginia can run the exact same test as I run here in Washington and we can compare notes. Water is water - same consistency time after time.

Haven't used soil much - except to occasionally dig a bullet out of a berm.

Have used wet newsprint - very heavy and a mess to clean up.

Have used dry newsprint - tougher than wet. Easier to clean up.

Have used dry catalogs & magazines - a very tough test medium. That stuff tore apart some well respected hunting bullets. Jacket-core separations on .375" 270 gr Hornady SP's.

Thought about that "Bullet Test Tube" device - interesting - and likely very good, repeatable results. Expensive though.

Soil could be good - but I think it's going to be hard to ensure consistency. Different soils have different compositions. Clay, sand, gravel, just plain ol' dirt... How do we pack it the same time after time? I don't know. Still, there's no question, shooting into soil can cause a bullet to mushroom, and the penetration results can be measured. It will work.

So, the water jugs aren't perfect, but they'll continue to be my choice.

Regards, Guy

Same here as Guy.
I think Guy and myself are the milk jug pioneers. :grin:

JD338

u all make some good points. i've found water jugs to be very easy to use/clean up. BUT, i have also found bullets that didn't hold together so well on game to do great in the jug test.if a bullets slips it's core from the jacket in water, it tells u a great deal! glad to see all the replys.

lhsako":2zo2pjc5 said:
u all make some good points. i've found water jugs to be very easy to use/clean up. BUT, i have also found bullets that didn't hold together so well on game to do great in the jug test.if a bullets slips it's core from the jacket in water, it tells u a great deal! glad to see all the replys.

Yes indeed! That's a very good point you made here!

I have a new theory that I'll have to test... Boxes of drywall (mud) compund. Probably a bit messy, but might make a fine medium. Even better, push a beef or pork bone into it. :mrgreen:

What about adding a far amount of saw dust to the frist jug, just keep it satuated more water than dust.

All kinds of good ideas here. Dry wall mix eh? Messy perhaps, but fun! I always wanted to try the Bullet Test Tube - but then I'd look at my wallet, and go back to the milk jugs.

Bullet Test Tube link: http://www.thebullettesttube.com/

Another victim of the plastic water jugs, a 300 gr Remington from my .45/70 Marlin:

IMG_0506.jpg

Back