This area is working out really well...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Looking back from the start of this section last August, there have been a tremendous amount of contributions from members of the Nosler Reloading forum.

Or as described by Mason: "a tribe of nocturnal, expanded bullet obsessed, elves."

I loved that description! :grin:

Time to time I find myself poking around here, looking for results of this bullet or that - really guys - a pat on our collective backs is due - we've done a good job of this. Results have been compiled from various test material, as well as accounts of taking game with various bullets. I think this area of the forum has become one heck of a valuable resource.

THANKS to all who've contributed, and also to Nosler for giving us this forum to use.

Guy

I find bullet performance quite fascinating as well Guy, there is some real good data collected already. Bullet testing is a lot of fun that's for sure :)

I enjoy the heck out of doing it, and the results from all of this testing is compiling quite a data resource for us to fall back on and to look at how this bullet or that bullet performs. Is this what I want to be hunting with? It's just good stuff from good people.
David

Without a doubt the best way to recycle plastic milk jugs. I should have a ton of them by the time I get home. Should be game on then. Not much of any real load work to do, so blasting jugs is going to be done with enthusiasm!

Great forum topic for sure. I love seeing all of the data we come up with and the different way folks test them.. We do need someone to do some tests with the 416's though. We are a little lacking there!

I don't have any AB's in .416 (oh that's right, they still haven't made them yet :lol: ) but I have some X bullets and Speer 350gr Mag Tip bullets. I think I have a pretty good supply of phone books but not very many milk jugs. I'll have to save some milk jugs up sling some lead (or copper in the case of X bullets). It's pretty hard to get any of the critters around here to stop a .416 bullet.

I'll have to post a picture of the bronze bullets a friend of mine made for me to shoot a bear with. He took some 500gr .458 Barnes solids and drilled a hole in them, then tapered the nose, and finally made some tips out of aluminum and plastic. They weigh about 390grs and should be just the ticket on a bear. I also took some .458 500gr Hornady round nose bullets and drilled the lead out to the edge of the jacket and about 2/3 of the bullet deep. They weigh about 380grs.

Let's see em Nathan! I like to see all the bullets! Those sound like some cool bullets you guys fabbed up.

Here are the 4 bullets he made me. I'll probably use 1 or 2 to check zero and the others will go through a bear.

Attachments

• Brass 458 bullets 002.jpg
    Brass 458 bullets 002.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,635
  • Brass 458 bullets 003.jpg
    Brass 458 bullets 003.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,635
  • Brass 458 bullets 004.jpg
    Brass 458 bullets 004.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4,635
Those bullets look pretty sleek! You gotta run one into a batch of phone books or something. You'll never keep one in a bear!

SJB358":2hhvw117 said:
Those bullets look pretty sleek! You gotta run one into a batch of phone books or something. You'll never keep one in a bear!

If I get a chance I want to run one stem to stern but I still don't think it will stop it. My buddy tried a test similar but didn't have enough phone books to stop them with his Lott.

IdahoCTD":3v53rqbp said:
SJB358":3v53rqbp said:

If I get a chance I want to run one stem to stern but I still don't think it will stop it. My buddy tried a test similar but didn't have enough phone books to stop them with his Lott.

Yeah, I am thinking you won't stop it either. I ran a 225 TSX out of my Whelen (2750FPS) into an Idaho Black Bear at about 50 yards. Full on quartering, took out the front leg, broke the hip and rear leg. Bullet was "just" caught in the skin. I don't think there is a chance in heck you'll keep one of them monsters in a bear!

Back