Hornady 20 Gauge SST's

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here is a slug I found in my son's buck from last weekend. This slug drilled a front leg and also hit also nicked the corner of the other leg bone. Shot was about 65 yards.

Here is the buck it came from.

We have taken 6 deer so far with these. I am not super impressed with them. Deer hit in the neck have all been instant kills, but rib shots, with no bone hit have been runners. Most have died fairly quick, but my son whale'ed a button buck last weekend, that ran about 250 yards, leaving me crawling on my hands and knee's trying to find pin sized drops of blood. We recovered it, but man, there was only one spot in the trail where the deer shot pink lung blood. Before that, I was afraid he had only made a leg or other non vital hit.

After that good bunch of blood, it went back to pin drops.. Either way, just wanted to throw it up. They do work, but I am not sure how I like them. I really like bigger holes with the shotguns, and we don't shoot much over a 100 yards down here, so I may experiment with some full sized slugs for this next Fall.

Although it did the job, the expansion is rather disappointing.

JD338

JD338":1mbe4voz said:
Although it did the job, the expansion is rather disappointing.

JD338

HA! There in lies the problem! Us bullet heads can't let that sorta stuff be.. I know they work, and have worked decent, I know there has to be better out there..

The expansion isn't much, but there is a lot of frontal area to begin with. Also, there is a lot of mass to ensure that the slug just pushes deep. That doesn't worry me quite as much as it would were in a smaller calibre bullet. Then, I would be worried.

DrMike":3txeka2m said:
The expansion isn't much, but there is a lot of frontal area to begin with. Also, there is a lot of mass to ensure that the slug just pushes deep. That doesn't worry me quite as much as it would were in a smaller calibre bullet. Then, I would be worried.

Good point Mike. I would feel better if it were a flat point with some meplat there. Seems like the pointed bullet doesn't actually open tissue up very well, just kinda pushes through.. I know, I am crying about bullets that are obviously killing deer, but I think the 20 gauge would be much more effective with a proper bullet. Might try the PT's again, those shot just as well, and I know they will at least open up.

I agree with your sentiment, Scotty. I want to see some expansion. However, I console myself in these instances with the knowledge that it is a lot of frontal area to create a lot of hydrostatic shock.

I have shot several deer with 12 Ga Hornady SST's. One took three "killing" shots. I have yet to recover a slug. All were runners or worse. Now Im not the best of shots so we will call it operator error. I have a recovered Fed premium Barnes exapnder, petaled open perfectly, the buck turned and walked 50 yards before laying down. This years button buck went down with a new Federal Trophy through both shoulders. Destroyed lots of meat and he ran 20-30 yards too. At least we had a blood trail. Dr Mike is probably right, with a hole that big they are gonna die, but I would like to see a slug come apart and send some shrapnel around in the boiler room. If I find one I'll let you know.... CL

Having a deer run 250 yards doesn't sound good, I would look elsewhere too. Congrats to Brandon on slaying those deer, nice to see him filling the freezer for your family.

I am with you CL.. I have EXCELLENT results with the Remington Buckhammer's. Those open deer up real well, leave massive amounts of blood (more light a dirt road than a trail :evil: ).

Remington no longer makes the Buckhammer's, as they didn't fit the bill as a 200 yard cartridge, but man, 150 and under, they are AWESOME stuff. Down where I hunt, 75 yards and under is more the norm.. I have enough of the Buckhammer's to finish up this year and probably next year as well, but I am sorta on the search for a replacement.

Gerry, the boy is doing real good this Fall. He has really put in some time hunting and it has paid off. Very proud of him.

Scotty,

The Winchester Rack Master is offered in 20 ga, 2 3/4" 7/8 oz slug.

JD338

JD338":13rt95e2 said:
Scotty,

The Winchester Rack Master is offered in 20 ga, 2 3/4" 7/8 oz slug.

JD338

It's on my list for the 20 gauge JD. It shoots as well as the Buckhammers, so I have a backup for the 12 gauge. Hoping they shoot well from the 20 gauge as well. I think 7/8oz full sized slugs would solve my problems. They sound pretty speedy as well.

Heck, I will probably just sell the 20 and get my son a 12 gauge anyhow.. He's big enough now to handle one.

Have you tried the accu-tips, hear a lot of good with them. Used them in 12 gauge and shot really well and seem to open good on deer. They are supposed to be a good combo with the savage 220.

CatskillCrawler":2l7z4trr said:
Lightfield. That's all I'll say.

I have heard nothing but good about Lightfield slugs.

JD338

Back