Any requests for milk jug testing?

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
It's going to be awhile before I can get enough milk jugs to go another round, but I'm already starting to think about which bullets to try next. This stuff is fun!

I have on hand:

.243 87 Hornady hpbt, 90 AB, 100 grain Hornady btsp, and 105 a-max
6.5x55 142 SMK and 140 CC
7mm-08 or 7mm RM 120 NBT, 140 Berger, 140 NPT, 150 and 168 ABLR, 162 a-max, or 175 NPT
30-06 130 TTSX 165 Speer BTSP, or 168 NBT
.338WM 185 TTSX, 210 NPT, 210 TSX, 210 TTSX, 215 Sierra BTSP, or 250 AB

It looks like several of these have already been shot into jugs. Anything that someone hasn't seen before and would like to see?

It is fun :)

The three 30-06 bullets would be interesting, they are all quite different in construction. The 243 105 gr A Max is an interesting one, some say it is too light for game others are very happy with them.

Not on your list...but three I'd like see tested are the .224 Bonded Solid Base, 60 grain Ballistic Tip, and Nosler Partition....fired from a 16" AR15.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Any of the TTSX's at 1800 fps or less to establish minimum required velocity for expansion.

FOTIS":3ba4y728 said:
Any of the TTSX's at 1800 fps or less to establish minimum required velocity for expansion.

That too...again, .224 bullets....well specifically the 62 grain TTSX (the 70 is too long)

I've resumed my AR15 reloading project...I have everything but bullets, and I'm sorta stuck there.

Ridgerunner665":36j53a6r said:
Not on your list...but three I'd like see tested are the .224 Bonded Solid Base,

Not from a 16" AR platform, but was fired from a Ruger mini-14 in .223 at 25 yards. It was just a guess/estimate on the velocity as it was not chronographed. I'll see if I can shoot some across the screens to get a real velocity. I guessed 3000-3100 but might be high with that. Maybe closer to 2673 fps or thereabouts.

Pretty good performance for that little Nosler bullet.

6mm Remington":33w652re said:
Ridgerunner665":33w652re said:
Not on your list...but three I'd like see tested are the .224 Bonded Solid Base,

Not from a 16" AR platform, but was fired from a Ruger mini-14 in .223 at 25 yards

Close enough....are these results in a thread of their own here?

I looked but did not find it if they are...and Thank You for posting it.

I don't remember. They might be in the bullet testing section under the .224 group. Found it under the .224 HSM 64 gr bullet testing. Shows a few more pictures there too!

Sorry guys for the S.W.A.G. on the fps. I chronographed it today. The little Ruger only has an 18.5" barrel and it was 33 degrees F here today.

2673 fps for the average of 13 shots. My guess was really off.

There were some dots on the target at 100 yards so I shot 5 shots at those. The other shots were at the 300 yards where they had some steel hanging. I was ringing steel consistently. There were a couple round plates about 12" in diameter and some hanging gas bottles that are I guess about 6" in diameter.

The 5 shots at 100 yards I used a front rest but nothing on the rear and just snugged it into my shoulder and used my left hand underneath for support. I didn't take a ton of time and just plunked them down range one after the other. Always surprises me how well that Mini-14 shoots with the pretty heavy front blade. The little dot at 100 yards was tough to see as my sights covered it up pretty good.

So that's it. HSM 64gr. bonded bullets (Nosler) at 2673 fps.

It would be interesting to see the 7mm 168 gr ABLR out of the 7mm-08. Maybe a starting load to simulate expansion at a longer distance.

JD338

I thought it might be interesting to see how a 120 nbt or 162 a-max does out of both the 7RM and the 7mm-08. A difference of 350 fps might be a neat variable to examine. Also, I have a can of trail boss, if anyone wants to see a really low velocity impact...

Jason

The low velocity expansion tests would be very interesting to stt what the ABLR will do at
the slower impact speeds.
That k you fro all your efforts, it is greatly appreciated.

JD338

Yeah, no problem. You guys have always been more than helpful. If I can do anything to return the favor, especially when it's so much fun, then I'd call it a win.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm aaallllll out of milk jugs. So it will be awhile...

jason miller":2r5ukmi6 said:
Yeah, no problem. You guys have always been more than helpful. If I can do anything to return the favor, especially when it's so much fun, then I'd call it a win.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm aaallllll out of milk jugs. So it will be awhile...

More fun Jason!! Take em out to 400 & 500 like I did where things slow down a bit and see how they look there. It's a kick in the pants. You really have to line them up though and it doesn't hurt to put three rows of jugs out in case it slips out the side and might get caught in another row of jugs. I caught one that way and lost a couple but you couldn't keep the smile off my face especially when you drill a 6x6" milk jug first shot!!

I don't have access to the 105 hpbt. And I looked in the 6mm forum- someone has already done a 105 a-max at pretty much the same velocity I have been running them. That one seems redundant.

On a side note, my boss has informed me that we're not working tomorrow, and he has about 30 milk jugs for me. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Known loads I'm considering and can do on short notice are:

7mm-08 120 nbt, 140 npt, 150 or 168 ablr, and 162 a-max
7RM 162 a-max
30-06 130 TTSX, 165 Speer btsp, and 168 nbt

Anything else, I either still need to work up a load, wouldn't know the velocity, or am out of powder.

Back