Recovered Bullets .30 Carbine, 150 and 165 Gr AB's 12GA Sl's

Hamour

Beginner
Dec 23, 2010
These recovered bullets are from my "Treasures Box" at home. Wife thinks it's funny that I have a nice carved / lined wooden box to put my recovered bullets in. She just doesn't know how rare it is to get bullets back from the deer.

First up

We have three recovered 110 gr M1 Carbine bullets from deer.They are 110 gr Remington soft nose bought in bulk and loaded on top of a max charge of 2400 powder. Chronographed just under 2100 fps. Gun is a Surplus Winchester Carbine bought from the NRA in 1968

The two bullets on the left were recovered from a doe and yearling shot at about 35 to 45 yds. Both shots went through both shoulders of the deer.

The third bullet (on the right) went through the back bone at an angle that penetrated from the last rib to center of off side shoulder at about 100 yds.

The two bullets on the left were recovered from these two deer

Second set is of .30 cal Accubonds, 150 gr and 165 gr. The 150 gr is always on the left in the pictures.

The 150 gr was recovered from a young buck, using Mexican Matched German Ball ammo from an M1A at 90 to 100 yds. (MENN I think) I simply collet pulled the ball, resized the neck and seated the 150 gr AccuBond. Makes for wonderfully accurate M1A ammo and turns my cheap berdan primed surplus into great hunting ammo.
The recovered bullet was a secondary shot as the first broke the deers back but he was still struggling. This bullet traveled from the big knuckle of the leg to the top of the shoulder, breaking or more exactly "pulping" the entire bone structure of the leg/shoulder.

The 165 gr bullet was recovered from a doe shot at 125yds, entered center of neck and logged by the anus, penetrated entire length of deer. She of course did not wiggle after the shot.

Chronographed velocity, 150 gr AccuBond = 2750 FPS / 165 gr AccuBond = 2700 FPS

This is the deer the 150 Gr AccuBond was recovered from. You can see the first shots exit hole and the pulped leg under neath the deer. Do not know why we posed with the Garand, but we shot it with an M1A.

Here is another buck killed with the same rifle ammo combination. Again you can see the excellent exit hole

The last bunch of bullets from the "Treasure Box" are recovered 12 Ga Slugs. Nothing fancy, Remington 7/8 ounce slugs. The highly deformed slogs on the right were shot into deer at very close range (15yds or so) and the rest from 40 yds to 80 yds.

The slug on the left was recovered from this deers fore head!

Well I hope y'all find the examples helpful. I know that the Accubonds are working wonderfully for me and my M1a and M1 Garands!

Take care

Hank

That is a good collection of recovered bullets and slugs from WT deer.

JD338

That is quite a collection you've amassed. Thanks for posting. What would be your average distance at which deer are shot? It is difficult to get a sense of the density of the environment.

When using the .30 carbine we try to hunt in thick cover and look for 25 to 75 yd shots
Same with the slugs

The bigger rifles of course are going to be used for longer range and we seem to kill them from 50 to 150 yds most of the time.
If a stand offers the possibility of a very long shot, we will break out a 300 mag or 257 Weatherby.

Back