Nosler 180 Partition vs 1/4" Steel Plate @ 400 yds

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
The attached photo shows the exit hole in a 1/4" steel plate created by a Nosler 180 grain Partition launched from my 30-06 at about 2,650 fps muzzle velocity. The plate was suspended on chains between two trees so that it would swing when impacted. I was totally surprised by the pass through as I only expected a big dent... :)

The 140 grain AccuBond from NYDan's 270 Winchester factory loads yielded similar results, just a slightly smaller diameter hole due to the smaller caliber bullet.

We found one '06 Partition on the back side of an 8" Ash tree behind the steel plate. We dug it out with a hatchet and pocket knife. No telling if it went through the steel before penetrating the tree or if it was a miss on the steel that just did a number on the Ash.

There is no doubt in my mind that the '06 with the 180 Partition @ 2,650 fps will be very effective if I do my part to place one in the vitals of a bull elk or Mulie buck next month. photo(1).JPG

That would get the attention of about any game you'd ever want to tackle here in North America.

Very nice! That 180 PT is about as good as it gets for hunting in any 30 caliber rifle. It is the total package. Old Bill has a film canister of them recovered from elk. They all look just about the same.

Back