Jug test rig.

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I've found myself shooting a lot of jugs as of late. I was placing them on a 3/4" sheet of plywood that I had laying around. The water displaced in the first couple jugs has destroyed the plywood. I found myself with some spare time at work tonight, so I scrounged up some scrap materials and built a rig to hold water jugs for bullet testing. I started with two pressure treated 4x4's that are 5' long. I put a layer of 1/2" plywood on BOTH sides to hold the posts together. I had a little bit of plywood left so I put short rails on the last 3 feet. I expect the exploding jugs would break 1/2" plywood rails next to the first 2-3 jugs. I measured a milk jug and found they are about 6" square, so I should be able to fit 10 jugs if necessary.

I made this in about 30 minutes out of scrap... I'm not sure how well it will work either. I'm curious, do any of you have a purpose built jug shooting table?

DSC_0703.JPG

DSC_0707.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

DSC_0709.JPG

Nice! How many jugs will it hold. 8-9 jugs will stop most big bore partitions.
It looks like you have enough room for several more jugs, maybe enough to stop a solid
or a heavy weight hard cast lead bullet from a 45-70.
Pretty cool set up.

JD338

That's nice. I too found they are tough on lumber! Pretty amazing actually how much hydraulic force is generated.

JD338":2shmqx3x said:
Nice! How many jugs will it hold. 8-9
JD338

Most jugs are 6" square.. and the base boards are 5' long.. So I should be able to set 10 jugs if needed. The side rails are only 3'.

My thoughts are I will normally set up 8 jugs and the first 2 will not be inside the side rails. I do not think the thin plywood can handle the expansion of the first 2 jugs.

I currently have never had a bullet exit jug 6. Scotty is sending me a few 310 grain .358's, so I expect to need a few extra jugs for them.

Looks great and should do nicely. Very interested in seeing how those big 310 gr Woodleigh's do......

Looks great Dano.. Found myself a weekend project now..

Can't wait to see it in action... We may have to start raiding the neighbor's recycling bin's. :grin:

A couple of quick coats of polyurethane should help your project last much longer before water gets the best of it.

Excellent penetration. That should comfort anyone carrying a Whelen against big, toothy critters.

Consider some kind of relief slots or holes in the bottom.

I broke a board, can't remember now how thick it was, that was under the jugs once. The ol' .45/70 slammed into the jugs and in the resulting chaos my support board was badly mangled by the water & shock.

I ended up mostly using a pair of 4x4's after that, leaving a gap between the two 4x4's.

I'm thinking the board I broke was an older chunk of 3/4" plywood. Sun baked, and likely weak. Not sure on that. Been a while.

I dunno - your setup is so stout - it probably needs no relief slots.

Guy

curious as to why you don't do the jug tests at 100 yds or more or are they some times done at longer ranges.

Looks good. Makes you wonder how any animal can with stand that much impact and walk away from it.

stew":16pfm5mb said:
curious as to why you don't do the jug tests at 100 yds or more or are they some times done at longer ranges.

I don't have a place to set the rig up at 100 yards or longer.

Back