25-06 Big Whitetails/Coyotes

Harv6

Beginner
Feb 9, 2015
Just curious to see what bullet you guys would recommend for pulling double duty. Where I hunt in western PA it's not unusual for bucks to field dress around 200 lbs. A couple of my spots are on the edge of the woods overlooking fields. Shots could be short or long. I'd like to find a bullet that is sturdy enough for big deer at close range but still be really flat for yotes. I was thinking the 100 grain bullets might be the ticket.... BAL tips maybe too lite... Partition maybe not great for yotes? What are your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The Partition is not too tough for coyotes if the bullet is placed in the vitals; it will still mean a dead yodel dog. To be certain, with a high stepping cartridge, I tend to like some mass to ensure integrity. However, I've watched, for instance, Berger bullets toppled some very big mule deer in recent years. My views on cup-and-core bullets is being modified. Thus, I would not be overly concerned at using a Ballistic Tip for big deer. I've certainly used them (and Hornady Interlocks) launched from a .280 to harvest a fairly large number of whitetails and mule deer. My sole caveat is that the muzzle velocity on my .280 was ~2800 to ~2900 fps, whereas the muzzle velocity on a 25-06 launching a 100 grain BT can easily exceed 3300 fps. Should impact velocity be above 3100 fps, it is asking a lot of that design to maintain integrity. With a smaller animal such as a coyote, there will be sufficient mass and energy to kill. With a largish whitetail...

The 115 gr BT is your bullet. It will work quite well for big deer and coyotes.

JD338

JD338":2z8uf3o0 said:
The 115 gr BT is your bullet. It will work quite well for big deer and coyotes.

JD338

Indeed it does. (y) My experience with it on big deer, has been with mule deer, and the 115 Ballistic Tip did well.

Regards, Guy

I've shot quite a few northern Michigan whitetails with the 100gr partitions in my 25-06, closet was about 50yds, farthest around 125yds, it works very well, if it has a fault, it would be loosing the front half of the bullet inside 100yds, like its disigned to do at high impact volocities, still unless your shooting length wise, it will exit leaving a good blood trail, from 100yds and farther its more of a bang flop for the critter it hits, no tracking needed. Might be a little rough on coyotes unless your just killing and not trying to save the pelt. All and all the 100 gr Partition is a outstands bullet for whitetails..

Guy Miner":x0dl8g23 said:
I'd be happy to share any handloading tips. The .25-06 is capable of superb accuracy, and is one heck of a lethal hunting round for deer size game.

Ill take any info ya got.

When I first bought the rifle I picked up a box each of Barnes ammo with the 100 TTSX, and Federal Premium with the 115 Partition. Figured Id see which shot best and try to duplicate it. Barnes ammo shot consistently into the smallest groups I've ever had. They were however 200fps slower than advertised, and $42 a box. The first few groups I shot with Federal ammo were under and inch, but in trying to duplicate that with handloads Ive struck out so far. I first tried Retumbo using the OAL from the factory ammo. Twelve different powder charges between 55.5 and 60.5 gave me velocities from 2950 to 3240... no repeatable groups under 2" though.

I had no luck with IMR4350 either. I worked up from 49.0 grains, and found what I considered a velocity max (quickload) with it at 51.0 grains and 3124 FPS. Still nothing under two inches.

Long story short, hunting season rolled around, and I took more reliable rifles into the woods. Havent touched that rifle since late last summer. I sure would like to find a good dual purpose load. From what ive read and seen from posts like above, the 25-06 is a great blend of speed and power.

You have a 24" barrel?

I used H4350 for the 100 gr bullets (various, including the Barnes TSX, getting 3340 fps.

And Retumbo for the 115's, getting 3190 fps from the Partitions, and backing the charge off a bit for the Ballistic Tips to 3120 fps.

With both H4350, and Retumbo, I found good accuracy right up there near or at max book loads.

Normally I just trim, chamfer & neck size the cases. Nosler cases are superb, but I've also happily used Remington cases. Am loading on Wilson dies for the most part, which helps ensure straight case necks and straight bullet seating.

Have always used Federal match grade large rifle primers for this rifle/cartridge. Saw no need for the magnum primers.

Play with the overall length, my .25-06's are rather long, but that works fine through the Rem action. Not sure where I am off the lands at this point. The BT's have always tolerated a good jump to the rifling for me, in this and other cartridges. I'm not sure that the 115's are a big improvement over the 100's, but for some reason I chose them, and they have worked well.

Best of luck!

Guy

yes 24".... Ive still got some Reloder 19 left to try, but Ill see what moving that OAL around does too, thanks.

For years my load was with IMR4831 and a 120 gr Speer. After having poor service with that bullet on two different axis does, I started playing with the 110 AB. The IMR and H 4831 that I tried didn't work too well on either of my rifles (both Rem 700's w/ 22" tubes).
I found a good load with RL 19 but when the weather warmed up I started getting extractor marks and the bolts got hard to open. So, back to the search.
I tried some H1000 to no luck as well as IMR 4350 with dismal groups.
Then I tried some 7977, one of the new Enduron powders. BOTH of my rifles now print the 110 AB into sub-.75" groups at 100 and carry that out to 500 yards. Velocity in the one is just over 3000 fps and in the second one is a touch over 3100 so I'm now a happy camper.

I can't answer your loading questions but can offer an observation. I had a client shoot a big cow elk at 100 yards last fall. Do not recall if the bullet was a 115 or 120 gr. pt. that elk was really dead. Unbelievable damage internally. There are many here with much more experience with the .25, but if it will hammer a 500 pound cow elk, ought to work pretty good on big deer.

I'm working with the 100 Etip and RL26 right. Getting pretty close to 3400 easily and the accuracy seems really decent. That same rifle loves RL25 and 115 BTs at 3250. That load rocks.

Sure some fine loads, Scotty. That load built with the 115 grain BT is well within bragging territory. The load built with the 115 grain PT isn't bad, either.

110 gr. AccuBond might be your huckleberry! Fantastic bullet and would work for both of the targets you list. Hard to go wrong with the 100 gr. or 115 gr. Partition either.

I did not play with it a whole lot, but H4831SC seemed to show some potential with the 120 gr. Partitions I was shooing in my wife's 25-06. I had a great load with IMR4350 but tried some just for fun. IMR7828 might also be a good one for the 110 and heavier bullets.

Old thread, but I'm in the middle of this right now. My 25-06 also liked the Barnes factory 100TTSX loads but they chronographed 3007fps instead of 3225 as advertised. After several handloading attempts I settled on 100gr Swift Sirocco II bullets over 54.5gr of H4831SC. They are running 3187fps. Any attempt I've made to increase speed with that bullet has decreased accuracy. The coyotes I've shot with them have dropped in their tracks with a pinky tip size exit wound. I haven't taken a deer yet with them but expect great performance. They are like a slightly tougher AccuBond and in a lighter weight with a higher BC, hard to beat for what you want.

mcseal2":1uqw42jl said:
Old thread, but I'm in the middle of this right now. My 25-06 also liked the Barnes factory 100TTSX loads but they chronographed 3007fps instead of 3225 as advertised. After several handloading attempts I settled on 100gr Swift Sirocco II bullets over 54.5gr of H4831SC. They are running 3187fps. Any attempt I've made to increase speed with that bullet has decreased accuracy. The coyotes I've shot with them have dropped in their tracks with a pinky tip size exit wound. I haven't taken a deer yet with them but expect great performance. They are like a slightly tougher AccuBond and in a lighter weight with a higher BC, hard to beat for what you want.

I like it. I've got some ready for my 25-06. The Scirocco is a wicked bullet.

Back