New Bullets for 25-06?

gam5300

Beginner
Feb 1, 2018
My favorite round is the 25-06, with all the advances and new bullets available will this round ever progress past the max of 121 grain bullet?

Only with faster-twist barrels to stabilize longer bullets.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, from one of many 25-06 fans here. (y)

Guy

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully, like the .277 there are a couple long Bullets made in the future.

Guy Miner":3juti9pq said:
Only with faster-twist barrels to stabilize longer bullets.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, from one of many 25-06 fans here. (y)

Guy

Guy nailed the appropriate answer for this question. As others have stated, welcome to the forum. Hope to see you posting, contributing questions, observations and answers.

The 25-06 is a sweet round. I sure like it. I used nothing but 120 gr. Partitions in it but the 110 gr. AccuBond looks like it would be a great one in the 25-06. Now maybe they could make a 115 or 110 gr. AccuBond LR! That would be something.

6mm Remington":2l6evpbt said:
The 25-06 is a sweet round. I sure like it. I used nothing but 120 gr. Partitions in it but the 110 gr. AccuBond looks like it would be a great one in the 25-06. Now maybe they could make a 115 or 110 gr. AccuBond LR! That would be something.

I honestly believe that there are a number of "just one" bullets for the 25-06 and typical game for it.

If we're talking deer & pronghorn antelope, just from Nosler I'd consider:

Ballistic Tip: 100, 115

AccuBond: 110

Partition: 100, 115, 120

E-Tip: 100

So there's seven bullets that seem to me like they'd be perfectly acceptable for hunting medium game; whitetail, blacktail, mule deer, pronghorn antelope. Likely other species as well.

But - none of them were particularly designed for long-range as we call it now. In days past, 300 yards was considered a long shot at game. I still think it is! :grin:

Guy

While I have never personally owned a 25-06, one of my brothers has owned a few. I have shot all of his on many occasions, and I’m a huge fan of that round. If I did own one that 110 AB seems like it would be a great bullet for it. Maybe one day I’ll finally own one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 25 WSSM, pretty much duplicates the 25/06. The 100gr bullets seem pretty well suited to that niche. The 25/06 would be better suited to longer 25 cal bullets but there are few fast twist options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if we are putting out a .25 "wish list" then a 90 Gr AB (or BT) would be nice! Cant find 87's anymore... Not that I could ever get them to shoot decent....CL

Guy Miner":3gdlqw9i said:
6mm Remington":3gdlqw9i said:

I honestly believe that there are a number of "just one" bullets for the 25-06 and typical game for it.

If we're talking deer & pronghorn antelope, just from Nosler I'd consider:

Ballistic Tip: 100, 115

AccuBond: 110

Partition: 100, 115, 120

E-Tip: 100

So there's seven bullets that seem to me like they'd be perfectly acceptable for hunting medium game; whitetail, blacktail, mule deer, pronghorn antelope. Likely other species as well.

But - none of them were particularly designed for long-range as we call it now. In days past, 300 yards was considered a long shot at game. I still think it is! :grin:

Guy

This.... Years ago the supposed advantage of the 25-06 was a flatter trajectory than the .30. I cant quote the numbers well enough to give you facts, just know what I "heard around the fire" as a kid. .25's "shot flatter" and had less drift than the .243. or slower .30's How much of that was theoretical rather than fact I cannot say, but back then range finders were different size circles in the reticle of your scope if you were lucky (unlucky???) Flatter was better and the 25-06 earned a good reputation. Deservedly so IMHO. And 300 yards is a long ways away. CL

Better grab yourself a box ( of 100) Speer 120 BTSP bullets, they are .485BC long range missles! There is likely nothing available; that is better on deer sized game, out to 600. If Nosler would build the ABLR as a 123/129gr, with a 550 BC; I think they could mop up the high end market; but they apparently have no interest, So I would watch Hornady to Make that move for Nosler with their ELD-X bullet shortly, right after they do: Nosler will attempt to follow suit, with the ABLR! And try to play " catch up" once again. :cry:
As soon as the .257 crowd rush at these new "nuclear missles" that had finally broken that barrier of
a 25 cal bullet with over a .500 BC, and it was all the buzz, one of the rifle manufactures would pick
up on that momentum, and you would see them add a turn of twist in their 25/06 offerings, then push on all that; with "1/100th of the advertising" that's has been exerted on the Creedmore, and you would
notice a lot of old 25 calibers, getting the dust blown off them! (y)

35 W would you be willing to share what loading with the 120 Speers your rifle likes?
Thanks,
Duane

Absolutely however this is likely over book figures, using RL 25 I used up to 60grs and was over 3200 from memory out of a 24" barreled R700, but my groups had opened up over MOA so backed down to 59 grs and it came in just under so settled on 58.5 and it shoots .75 @100 all day long and seams to avg 3125/3150 for fps.
No pressure in MY gun might be high in another I don't know???
Anyway be careful and be safe, but that's what I am using. A friend shot a big cow
Moose with my rifle right @ 600 lbs with this loading last fall , one shot instant kill!
He has the bullet, looks text book perfect. So no doubt about it this thing would easily
Dispatch Bull Elk without a doubt!

Thanks much. Appreciate you sharing. Will start low and work-up to see if/what my rifle likes.
Duane

Your most certainly welcome:
Sounds like a plan Duane! Keep us posted how your gun does, and if you are not impressed with the RL25/ Speer 120 gr bullets; then I will eat my hat on the church steps, and give you a half hour to draw a crowd! :wink:
PS
I can't really take credit for this great RL 25 load; as a certain Marine that lurks around on here, actually was the orchestra of this loading, he is a pretty smart cookie, I think he goes by " Scootie" or something like that, he soposedly hates enclosed triggers and two piece bolts so be careful!
:lol: (you gotta really watch these fellas; that only go for an open trigger! :grin:

Will do.
Thanks for the “heads-up”. Will be wary of those “open trigger” creatures. LOL
Duane

Back