7mm Ballistic tips and Accubonds

seokladuckin

Beginner
Mar 21, 2021
Had a doe shoot one day , was shooting my trusty 7mm-08 .
Had 140 Accubonds and 140 Ballistic tips loaded on top od same grains of Varget.

Shot 2 does 75 yards in about 30 minutes a part, shot in exactly same spot behind shoulder, both standing in exactly same position and spot .

One ran 250 yards before expiring with AccuBond

One 30 yards with Ballistic tip .

As a meat hunter I refuse to shoot a deer in shoulder unless it's a nice buck .

For deer size game I would recommend staying away from Accubonds, now elk , big mule deer yep Accubonds all the way

IMHO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

While I think the BT is an awesome deer bullet I’ve seen the 140 AB work amazing as well. I’d almost wonder what the outcome would be with 10 deer shot with each and averaged out.

For does, I go with cup and core bullets. A recent favorite is a 243 SGK 85 gn HPBT because the farmer who owns the land is very sensitive to bullets that get off his property. First time I made a white tail load under 100 gns. Results: 5 of 6 were DRT. The one that ran made 45 yards. The 5 that were DRT, no exit wound.. the one that ran a little had an exit hole.

For sure AB is a tougher bullet. The BT is dynamite on most White Tails.

Glad you were able to recover both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SJB358":1wiyq6nt said:
While I think the BT is an awesome deer bullet I’ve seen the 140 AB work amazing as well. I’d almost wonder what the outcome would be with 10 deer shot with each and averaged out.
our deer are on the smallish side , the best doe killer was 100 grain 6.5 ~3300 fps , rarely seen one make another track ,friends of mine shoot them

I like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 7mag.I've shot deer with the 160gr AccuBond too.The Ballistic Tip gives me a little larger wound channel and very quick kills.The AccuBond wound channel is a little tighter,much like other bonded bullets I've shot.I get exits with both bullets,but I'd much rather be shooting a bullet that gives me a DRT kill than ones that kills after a run,so for deer it defiantly the 150gr Ballistic Tip for me.

TXbaldhunter":22ci0tke said:
I like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 7mag.I've shot deer with the 160gr AccuBond too.The Ballistic Tip gives me a little larger wound channel and very quick kills.The AccuBond wound channel is a little tighter,much like other bonded bullets I've shot.I get exits with both bullets,but I'd much rather be shooting a bullet that gives me a DRT kill than ones that kills after a run,so for deer it defiantly the 150gr Ballistic Tip for me.
Want to have a little fun??

Try that 7mag with 120 Ballistic tips. Right behind the shoulder.

Coyote will turn inside out

Holy sh!+ LOL

seokladuckin":2q5iwh2w said:
Had 140 Accubonds and 140 Ballistic tips loaded on top od same grains of Varget.

Shot 2 does 75 yards in about 30 minutes a part, shot in exactly same spot behind shoulder, both standing in exactly same position and spot .

For deer size game I would recommend staying away from Accubonds, now elk , big mule deer yep Accubonds all the way

IMHO

Were both deer at the same angle ? Did the accubod exit opposite of where it went in ? Never have I seen a deer go 250 yards with both lungs destroyed .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs":r9ufn1vd said:
seokladuckin":r9ufn1vd said:

IMHO

Were both deer at the same angle ? Did the accubod exit opposite of where it went in ? Never have I seen a deer go 250 yards with both lungs destroyed .

Yes exactly,

AccuBond didn't make a nearly large of exit wound as did the Ballistic tip did , I watched the AccuBond deer run for 150 yards , didn't even think i hit it ,

Really thought that when i shot 2nd deer and it didn't go anywhere.

I used to have deer run a 100yds or so sometimes when shot through the lungs.I think the lungs being spongy,really dampen the shock from a bullet once it is inside the chest cavity.I found a good lung shot below mid point of the chest cavity usually resulted in a run.Bonded bullets where even worse with this shot.Now I go for tight against the shoulder,an inch or two above mid point of the body puts the wound channel high enough in the lungs that it doesn't dampen the shock and sends shock to the spine and will also many times burst the large thoracic artery that runs just below the spine.You shock the central nervous system as well as the circulatory system.This shot gives me 100% DRT kills.This deer was shot with my 7mag with a 150gr Ballistic Tip.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,887
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 3,887
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 3,887
I use the same high lung shot with the same results.
I taken over a 100 deer crop damage hunting with the AccuBond and only a handful have run. Same results with BT and PT bullets too.

JD338

JD338":3tpzifzb said:
I use the same high lung shot with the same results.
I taken over a 100 deer crop damage hunting with the AccuBond and only a handful have run. Same results with BT and PT bullets too.

JD338

It's a very fine line.If you shoot just a little low below mid point of the body they run,just a little above they drop,with bonded or cup and core bullets.You can get totally different results with the same bullet with a shot placed just mere inches different.I've done some guiding on a ranch.Most of the hunters will hit the heart a lot of the time.That shot,although lethal,results in a run sometimes as far a hundred yards.

Also if a bullet hits after a deer exhales it has low oxygen level and can't run far but right after inhale the blood in the brain is oxygen rich and can run farther before passing out

This is the shot that puts them down hard.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20201231_140749443.jpg
    IMG_20201231_140749443.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3,903
On the heart shots, I can vouch they’ll run. The most impressive was the heart blown into Two halves.. almost exactly. At 85yards it ran into a tree head on. Left an 18” blood splat on the tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs":1b5yu6u8 said:
Also if a bullet hits after a deer exhales it has low oxygen level and can't run far but right after inhale the blood in the brain is oxygen rich and can run farther before passing out

I bow hunt 99% of the time.

I shoot swacker in a xbow , they rarely run 50 yards with a double lung shot ,,,,BUT a 2 1/4 hole in both rib cages lets a lot of air out.

The absolute worse big game rifle and bullet combo I ever saw was a 7mag with core locks I think 160 or 170 , watched a guy shoot several deer over the years , track and track , one swam and found next day double lung shot ,,
I still scratch my head about that one

seokladuckin":33b0wgwl said:
ozarkpugs":33b0wgwl said:

I shoot swacker in a xbow , they rarely run 50 yards with a double lung shot ,,,,BUT a 2 1/4 hole in both rib cages lets a lot of air out.

The absolute worse big game rifle and bullet combo I ever saw was a 7mag with core locks I think 160 or 170 , watched a guy shoot several deer over the years , track and track , one swam and found next day double lung shot ,,

Shooting an arrow through a deer is different.Low in the chest and quartering away is probably the best.Those little wild deer I've killed with a bow were really high strung.They would take off like their tail was on fire and usually wouldn't stop running until they were dead on their feet.They would often go around 200yds.That's the thing about whitetails,they have a very strong will to live.

TXbaldhunter":2gpnjshj said:
seokladuckin":2gpnjshj said:
ozarkpugs":2gpnjshj said:

Shooting an arrow through a deer is different.Low in the chest and quartering away is probably the best.Those little wild deer I've killed with a bow were really high strung.They would take off like their tail was on fire and usually wouldn't stop running until they were dead on their feet.They would often go around 200yds.That's the thing about whitetails,they have a very strong will to live.
Since I went to swacker only 1 deer ran over 100 yards ,

It really lets blood and air out of them

I used the 165 AB in a 30-06 and shot a brother pair of our small roe deer two weeks apart. Some spot, same distance, almost exactly same hit (lung shot).
One drt, the other one ran a circle of about 70 y with a credit card sized part of the lung hanging out.
They simply react differently every time.
Can't say it was the bullet's fault. It opened up and delivered the punch.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Back