.224 75g Hornady BTHP vs 65g Sierra GK vs wet newspaper

Hey guys, new to this forum; however, I called Hornady about a month ago looking for a accurate..."almost" match grade bullet, that MAY possibly still be good for hunting.
The tech at Hornady INSTANTLY stated part #2279 and #22796 was THE bullet of choice. These are the 75 gr BTHP you all are discussing I believe.
I asked if another weight in this style could also be used and his response was basically as follows....
"The #2279 and #22796 is made with small serrations on the inside to cause controlled expansion whereas the other BTHP MATCH in their line do not have the serrations. Therefore, it is recommended as a very good match and small to medium game bullet."
I am just relaying what the Hornady tech told me. I did find some 2279's....was hoping for the 22796's..(600 count)... to get same lot number...; I have yet to work up a load, but have everything ready to do so. A 5.56 NATO chamber, 1-8 twist with a 16 to 18 inch barrel was suggested when using the AR versions and a charge of 8208 XBR powder. Again, just relaying what Hornady tech stated to me.....

Just an added note....I know that "accurate" and "NATO Chamber" may not always go together, but my wife purchased an AR as a Christmas present to me. I have never owned one but I wanted one since my last Military service. That's been a long time ago.....
Not being familiar with the 1-8 twist rate in that caliber, I called Hornady for assistance.

It's a great bullet RF. I have run a bunch from a 8 twist 223 and an 8 twist 22-250. Pretty easy to find accuracy with it and man, they are explosive at 22-250 speeds but much tamer when slowed a few 100 FPS. Great bullet though.

I am glad to see a lot of good responses to the 75 Hornady. I was hoping the tech at Hornady didn't give me bad info.
I am working brass up now and hope to find the right load soon. Outdoor temps here are hanging in the single digits and I just am not up to testing in such cold weather. Maybe I can just work up some different charges and have them ready when decent weather comes, and test then. I hope to use these on coyote, and may try the 55 SP from Hornady.
I use the 55gr SP and the 55gr SPSX in my T/C .223 with a 1 in 12 with great results. However, it's obvious I shouldn't use the SPSX in the 1 in 8.
Take care everyone!

Well, the forecast is calling for a warm front this weekend here in Va. and temps should be in the mid 50's.
I am gonna try the 8208XBR powder; it is advertised as being extremely temperature insensitive.
Believe I will load today for some testing and try them out this weekend. I didn't see the 8208XBR being tested in above posts so I will post some chrony and group results if anyone may be curious....Maybe I can at least hit the side of a barn....

Well, didn't get to test until yesterday...but for what it's worth, here are my results with the 75gr Hornady BTHP #2279 and 8208XBR powder.
Rifle was a Ruger 556 chambered in 5.56 NATO...16.1" with a 1 in 8 twist.
All LC brass...weighed and separated in 5 shot groups..trimmed to 1.751...flash holes deburred and uniformed...primer pockets uniformed...chamfered case mouths. COAL 2.250 No crimp, neck tension .003-.004.
All shots @ 100 yds.
Using 8208XBR,... powder was measured in 0.2gr increments starting @ 21.0gr and proceeding up to 23.2gr, again, in 5 shot increments.
Group size measured outside to inside of widest bullet holes, no fliers deleted.

21.0gr-2224fps .839 no chrono for SD/ES
21.2gr-2260fps .912 no chrono for SD/ES
21.4gr-2242fps .661 SD 15.88 ES42
21.6gr-2319fps 1.190 SD 26.90 ES 73
21.8gr-2353fps 1.192 SD 27.54 ES 68
22.0gr-2388fps .884 SD 22.70 ES 59
22.2gr-2452fps .985 SD 29.94 ES 72
22.4gr-2458fps .940 SD 18.06 ES 46
22.6gr-2514fps 1.027 chrono data error
22.8gr-2558fps .956 chrono data error
23.0gr-2560fps .649 SD12.42 ES 23
23.2gr-2565fps 1.036 SD13.08 ES 29

I had some problem with sunlight on chrono...however....
What do you all see/think of the results? I don't understand the MOA average being less than 1?? Never observed this before over this range of powder....do I have a lucky barrel....a good bullet...does 8208XBR appear to be a decent powder..etc?

Please give me your input...I have only been reloading a few years and would greatly appreciate others analysis, opinions, etc.

It looks like as your pressure came up things are getting more consistent from what I am reading here. I think you having a great looking load around the 23-23.2 mark.. Pretty consistent for the rifle.

Thanks for the response SJB.
I don't feel bad of the results for this powder, looks like it is somewhat forgiving....but has a narrow range in needed velocity then it hits a pressure spike.

There are some other powders that show a higher velocity capability without any pressure problems, but the factory tested barrel is 20" length and mine is only 16.1". I wanted to post this in the reloading section but also wanted to keep it in the original post comparing the two rounds mentioned earlier.
I think I will try a couple different powders that list a higher velocity and check the results, but I am mainly searching for decent accuracy and not wanting to push velocity to the max if not needed. Most all my shooting is less than 150 yards in real world hunting and varment situations.
If you have any advice or suggestions, feel free to help me out.
Again, thanks for the comment.

Can't speak to the 75gr Hornady, but the old 65 gr SGK launched from a 22/250 is a guaranteed coyote killer
and there are an awful lot of folks been using that combo for many years, sorta like a 90gr SBK outta a 25/06
or 264WM............ coyotes absolute worst nitemare !IMG_1977.JPG

RF, I have run a bunch of H4895 with the 223 and 75 HPBT's and 77 TMK's. I would get around 2900 for both of them pretty easily but that was with a 22" barrel.

I would think you'll probably be in the 2600 range with the 16" barrel. I actually don't see too much wrong with your 23-23.2 loads.. They will still whack coyotes.

Thanks for the input guys..Whelen... SJB....
I feel pretty good about the testing...but ALWAYS willing to listen to others thoughts, advice, etc. Lord knows I need it!!!
If anyone has a different powder they prefer, let me know and I will surely give it a try.
I am still using an older batch of powder for my .223 T/C....AA1680....using an older AA manual AND powder from several years ago. I don't think it's even listed in the newer manuals. But hey guys...again...THANKS for your time and input!

I’d certainly give TAC a try as well. Another great powder for heavier 224 Bullets.

I load (depending on lot to lot differences) between 23.7 and 24.3 grains of H4895 with that Hdy 75g HP as well as the Amax.

About 2780 to 2820fps with those bullets in the 18” barrel of my RAR Compact. Sub MOA well and truly.

Would be happy to try 8208 but I’d not look further than 4895.

Scotty is on the money with TAC powder. After trying a number of different powders with a 65 grain Sierra gameking I settled on TAC. Excellent velocity, uniformity, (runs great through the powder measure) and accuracy is excellent, moa at 100 yards. Twenty five grains appears to be a perfect fit for my AR.

diverdown":3ny55r6v said:
Scotty is on the money with TAC powder. After trying a number of different powders with a 65 grain Sierra gameking I settled on TAC. Excellent velocity, uniformity, (runs great through the powder measure) and accuracy is excellent, moa at 100 yards. Twenty five grains appears to be a perfect fit for my AR.

Has anybody run TAC with the 75 grain BTHP? I have a little TAC and a slew of H4895.

Thanks again, for the input. I will give the Tac and the 4895 a try and see what it does for me. Just wanting to try different powders.
The 8208XBR seems pretty good to me, but the 23 and 23.2 gr loads are above Hornady's specs. (I "think" it is commonly accepted that Hornady is a little conservative)???
4895 and Tac are found easily in my area whereas the 8208XBR hasn't caught on yet and I have to make a couple calls to find it.

Again, very good and well received info from you guys!
Thanks again!!

Oh, one more thing,
I want to try the 65 SGK very much so and I think it would be a better game getter than the Hornady 70BTHP??
The only reason I haven't yet, is around my area, the cost of the SMK's have been driven up so high!
Does anyone have a suggestion where one can get them at a reasonable price??

SJB358":1m1r186m said:
diverdown":1m1r186m said:

Has anybody run TAC with the 75 grain BTHP? I have a little TAC and a slew of H4895.

I see I'm a little late to this party. Usually only look to bullet tests every couple of months or so. Have a lot of experience personal and second hand with this bullet from service rifle shooting to 600 yards. It is fairly popular and gaining ground rapidly on the Sierra and Nosler 77s for OTC. It is cheap, easy to load, and it performs as well or better than the more expensive options.

I have successfully used Varget, R15 and Bl-C2. Haven't clocked velocities, but based on trajectory at range they were all close to book values (Hornady). A couple of shooters have demonstrated good results with ARcomp, Tac and CFE223. The "standard" load among service rifle shooters with bullets of this weight is +/- 24 grains of Varget, R15, H4895, VN140, in approximate order of occurrence in my matches locally. High master and distinguished shooters have used one of these 4 on the line with this bullet at matches I've competed in. These would be the "easiest" options. Barring any local shortages of these, I wouldn't go out to re-invent the wheel with this load, just use a version of what guys who fire thousands of rounds a season trying to split a line are firing. They've done the testing for you.

I’m late to rejoin however I’d reiterate, for bullets 55g and up in the .223, the readily available H4895 is tough to beat for speeds and accuracy.

The ONLY reason I’d look elsewhere is if H4895 became hard to get. I can’t see that happening.

8208 is an excellent powder but in this application I can’t see where it provides any advantage.

(I must qualify the above by stating powders like TAC and others from Ramshot cannot be obtained here, nor can the new Enduron powders and similar. Here we are basically stuck with Hodgdon/ ADI, Winchester and a selection of Reloder powders.)

Back