65 gr gameking-jugs etc

Firebird

Handloader
Jun 22, 2013
Been testing the Sierra 65 gr gameking in my .223 savage. After some brass issues I ended up using new rp brass and multiple fired LC brass. Cannot tell you any difference-they shot very much the same. Used h335, cfe223, varget and tac. Most accurate was max load of h335 but all would shoot five shots under an inch at 100 yards. 335 also fastest and all bullets loaded at 2.250 coal although I cannot remember how I came up witht that depth. Bullets load super easy into the case mouth and no problems with deformed tips during loading. Used cci 400 primers and tried some fed 205's at one point, always great results.
I had eight jugs and since the bullets penetrated three jugs I got to try it twice. First round fired penetrated three and jacket and core separated but both inside the jug. Second round did not separate and also found inside third jug. One retained 34, the other 38 grains.
I know guys who shoot deer and antelope with them but I want it for a coyote thumper and it looks to me like it will do well in that capacity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,926
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 4,926
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 4,926
Very nice Firebird! That is one of my favorite bullets in a 22 caliber that'll handle them.

It should plow through any coyote walking that is FOR SURE!

Nice work FB. That would make for a great coyote load.

JD338

That is a fine load that will serve you well for your stated purpose. Congratulations, Firebird.

Thanks for the report. I might get to see how they work on a feral cat before too long. I've got one that setup shop here on my farm about a week ago. Should be plenty of thump for that job!

Correct sir-1:9----I had to look it up! That rifle is currently is nearby Spanish fork city at black ice coatings getting some camouflage face lifting. Ill see if I can attach a pic of it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 4,368
We were hunting coyotes but there were more rabbits than I've ever seen and I quickly went through two boxes of bullets shooting jacks, will go back later with something smaller and cull the population of cottontails. Farthest shot was 300, closest maybe ten feet. All results were very satisfying. Didn't see any dogs but did see a bobcat, which I did not have a tag for of course.
I wish I had my 55 gr nosler bt's, which would have been the golden ticket for the jacks, but wasn't planning on a rabbit shoot when we left.

Attachments

• IMG_5479.JPG
    IMG_5479.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 4,072
Here is the savage with its new covering-kinda like it, but also thought it looked sharp in black. Camo coated the rings as well, but not the scope in case I ever wanted to trade or sell-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4,069
That's pretty much the same load I have been using with the Sierra 60HP and the Hornady 60 V-max. Very accurate out of my Savage as well.

Back