60gr Partition 22-250

Wyo7200

Handloader
Aug 20, 2014
Just wanted to share my work-up results for the 60gr Partition in a 1:12 twist T/C Venture. I've read in a lot of places that the Partition isn't known for the tight groups and it really shines in hunting. I plan on using this mainly on Predators, P. Dogs, and maybe back up to my 25-06 for Antelope. 100 yards isn't much of grouping indication (to me) and I hope to stretch it out to 500 when the 20 mph winds die down.

The differences in group sizes between primers amazed me. I chose to go with Rem 9 1/2. WLR showed slight pressure signs and had more recoil. Rem's didn't show any p signs and shot amazingly soft... Felt like shooting a light load in the Rem 700 SPS Varmint in .223. I think fouling got the best of shot #5. It was the 25th shot after cleaning and was the last shot in the test. I'm sure my excitement didn't help either.

IMG_8414.jpg

Differences in brisance can make a tremendous difference in accuracy. Moreover, it doesn't always work the way you think it should. Good graphic.

My brother mentioned that his .243 experiences the same vertical stringing as I did when he uses CCI's.

I was expecting CCI's and WLR to have the better groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great bullet. Glad you got it shooting for you. primer results are rather interesting.

JD338

The 22-250 saw some action yesterday vaccinating Prairie Dogs. Holy smokes. We were shooting anywhere from 200-500 yards and the wind was pretty ferocious, gusting from 15-23 mph. I was holding 6 moa over for wind correction and was still 8-12" under estimating. Yet, we managed to give a shot of .224 copper and lead to nine of them. The couple that received 60 grains worth... wow. I caught one just right at 300 yards and it flipped over 5 feet back from where it received the dose. Another one at 250 yards flipped sideways enough times for its guts to be twisted around its body 2 times.

I'd say the 60 gr Partition at 3450 fps is pretty effective. The longest connecting shot was at 350 yards, by my dad's .223.

4B099198-4330-46EB-9961-958AA0250480.jpg

Excellent. Sounds as if you had a great day. That is always good for the soul.

Really liked the primer comparison. It is amazing what a difference they can make. There have been some interesting comparison too between large rifle and large rifle magnum primers used in the same loads for comparison. Thanks for posting.

I was able to get MUCH smaller groups with Nosler's 64gr bonded bullet than I was with their 60gr Partition in my 12 twist.
It might just be worth a try.

Charlie-NY":3izpcifd said:
I was able to get MUCH smaller groups with Nosler's 64gr bonded bullet than I was with their 60gr Partition in my 12 twist.

What rifle are you using? I originally started with the 64's but the flat tip kept it from loading from the magazine. Kept hitting the breech face and wouldn't load unless I jiggled it. Sweet bullet for sure though... they found a purpose in the AR-15. :)

These partitions are nailing P Dogs out to 300 and I'm sure they'd be on out to 500 if I didnt have to guesstimate on the 10-20mph wind. I'm half tempted to use it for antelope, but prefer the sure kill 25-06.

Wyo7200":3vgwiqig said:
Charlie-NY":3vgwiqig said:

What rifle are you using? I originally started with the 64's but the flat tip kept it from loading from the magazine. Kept hitting the breech face and wouldn't load unless I jiggled it. Sweet bullet for sure though... they found a purpose in the AR-15. :)

I shoot them in a 12 twist Rem bolt rifle. I typically single round feed so can't comment on any feeding issues. For slapping small rodents I have had extraordinary accuracy with 50gr V-Max bullets which will often drop 3 into an inch at 300yds.

I was fooling around with the Partitions and Bonded bullets with the idea of taking a whitetail doe with whichever was more accurate in my rifle.

Back