22-250 60PT Vs 64 BSB vs Corelokt

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I load for a friends 22-250. His daughter uses it to shoot hogs in N. Florida.
I have in the past loaded 53G Barnes TSX's and 60 grain Partitions for him and he said he preferred the on game performance of the 60 PT.
I picked up a couple boxes of 64 BSB's recently and he was low on ammo so I acquired his rifle for a test session.
When he dropped off the rifle he gave me 2 of the remaining 60PT and a single corelokt remington he had purchased.

First I shot a 100 yard group with the 64BSB. two touching and one < 1" low. I noticed the bolt was pretty stiff and I had extractor marks.. Too Hot.
I went back and looked at QL and it predicted 3500fps.. Definetely hotter than I need. Don't recall where I got that original data from.
then I shot a 64 BSB into the jugs.. I found it in the bottom of jug # 4.. Weighing 48.8g for 76.25% weight retention..
Set up some new jugs and shot a 60PT.. I also found it in the bottom of jug #4 weighing 46.3 for 77.6% weight retention.
For grins I ran the second 60 PT and it was found in jug 4 also, however, it hit the back so hard it poked a hole in #5. also weighed 46.3 / 77.6%
Last up was the factory corelokt. I'm not sure of the grain weight of the bullet, it was supplied with the gun.
The corelokt poked a hole in the third jug, but did not enter. I found pieces on the table and in jug #2.. Jug #2 had multiple holes as if the bullet fragmented.

Here is the BSB.

OIBitDhnwSsKoINWAd98HV1j2Vvp5KJWQfjda9nYkE6b=w626-h834-no

Both 60 PT's were about identical.

DSC_0269.JPG
DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

ToG1VkW09j4J__IL0aFi5CmesNwdjB5e0CqgcBwccjB8=w626-h834-no

In summary...I think the 64 BSB and the 60PT are both pretty tough little dudes. I thought the 64BSB was going to out perform the 60PT by a fair amount. Not really what I see in these results. If you are going to use a 22cal to shoot large game, I think these would be two of the best bullet choices. I think I would pick the one that shot best in my gun.

Dan-O

The performance on those Partitions and the BSB is simply superb! That is excellent. Your report should be a real confidence booster for those shooting fast-stepping .22s.

I would also like to add that the 64 gr BSB will stabilize in a 1:14 twit making it ideal
for the 22-250 shooters.

JD338

The 64gr. BSB works well in the Ruger mini-14 I use for work. Not sure what the twist rate is on it, but it really does shoot well.

That 64gr. BSB shoots fantastic in my 22-250 rifle. Cant wait to shoot something with it! Thanks for posting the test!

I shot a very nice mule deer buck several years ago with a 22-250 loaded with 55gr. Rem. PSP. He was broadside standing 100 yards or so away. Hit him twice in the near shoulder, after several miles of sight trailing across the Idaho desert, he succumbed to a neck shot from the same rifle. Neither bullet penetrated past the shoulder bone. This was a target of opportunity who came to see what my Coyote call was all about. Quite the learning experience for me. A heaver, better constructed bullet would have been a better choice.

Now that certain 22's are legal here in Wy for antelope and deer........

What is a BSB?
I'm having a brain fart. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Bonded solid base. Look on the nosler website and they have a great explanation of the bullet and the intended uses. Very cool bullet that really opens the doors to opportunity with my 22-250.

Vince":yaj18p4i said:
What is a BSB?
I'm having a brain fart. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's a pretty doggone impressive small caliber bullet! :mrgreen:

Great test Dano. That 60 PT is a good one for sure in the 22-250. I would like to have another 22-250 just to shoot either of those two bullets.

I've got 64 BSBs & 55 gr GMXs to test out when weather improves; this is encouraging!

Great test thanks for posing it!

That's a nice little trio of bullets in that one picture. Both look to be excellent bullets, interesting to see that the BSB has a larger frontal area than the Partition.

I wanted to load the 64's for my 22-250 T/C but the flat nose on the bullet made it difficult to chamber from the magazine. Had to give the rifle a little shake to get the loaded. Works well in my AR-15 though :)

I'd love to have another 223 or 22-250 to give these a whirl.

What if really like is a 1-8 or 1-7 made 22-250! I wished the gun makers would get it together and make them. I can't see why they wouldn't put 1-7's or 8's on everything. I can't find any detriment to accuracy or performance except very thin jacketed bullets.

So screw a 1:8 .224 cal barrel onto your favorite short action rifle...

USMC buddy of mine did that nearly 20 years ago, using the then new long .224" Sierra match bullets and did exceptionally well out here in the Pacific Northwest with it... His was chambered in .22-250, eventually he put the .308 barrel back on it for police use, but that fast twist .22-250 brought him some gold, including Canadian gold!

Guy

Good point Guy, I guess I was hoping someone would just make them from the factory. It seems weird to me they make 223 barrels in the 1-7/8 twist rate but they turn around and put 12/14's on the same .224 caliber 22-250..

I finally scored some of these locally. Been looking since the BSB came out. I'm going to load some up and try them in my 1-7" AR this weekend. Is it confirmed these will work in a 1-14" twist barrel? Regardless, I'm going to load up a few to try in my 22-250.

There are several guys with 1 in 14" 22-250's that have used them. I believe it was designed with the 22-250 in mind.

Back