Heavy match. 80gr CC vs 75 Hornady ELD-m at 600 yards

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Got a chance to play with these 2 bullets yesterday in similar conditions on live spotted target at 600 yards. Running the same load with both. 24gr R15, Fed SRm, HSM brass. Didn't play with the seating depth on the ELD, just used the same die setting as I use for the 80 and checked for function at that length. The 80s are .02 off the lands, I think the ELD is similar looking at the loaded profile. Wind 10-15 quartering from 2 O'clock. Fired from a RRA 1;8 twist.

First and most striking difference was the elevation change. ELDs were impacting 1-1.5 MOA higher at 600. Second difference was wind deflection. Firing and marking on same target, Wind call was also about 1-1.5 MOA less than with the 80 Nosler. I have fired some pretty impressive scores over the years with that bullet, I expect the 75 Hornady to shave a few points from that in windy conditions. Also fired the ELD at 300m this winter for groups vs the Nosler. Consistency of grouping was similar. No difference noted.

Don't have a live velocity for these bullets at range, but judging by the el change and difference in wind drift, it appears the advertised BC for these is not all hype. Definitely a bullet to consider for long line High power or F class.

That's great to hear. I think those 75 ELDs would be wicked in a 8 twist 22-250...

SJB358":pkns5wbd said:
That's great to hear. I think those 75 ELDs would be wicked in a 8 twist 22-250...
Some reviews on them on Midways site in exactly that application to 1000 yards.

Polaris":1iwiz52i said:
SJB358":1iwiz52i said:
Some reviews on them on Midways site in exactly that application to 1000 yards.

I'll be trying them shortly.

Still stocked up with the 75 Amax here but it looks like there's a good replacement in the wings!

I just hope the cost comes down a little...

Not to steal your thread, but is the Hornady 168 AMax a good hunting bullet for the .308? Similar to the 168 Ballistic Tips?

The ELD M is indeed a great bullet, I like the ELD M 178 in the .308 but not for hunting applications.

TackDriver284":3sxqfi6j said:
Not to steal your thread, but is the Hornady 168 AMax a good hunting bullet for the .308? Similar to the 168 Ballistic Tips?

The ELD M is indeed a great bullet, I like the ELD M 178 in the .308 but not for hunting applications.

The Hornady AMax has been used on light game, and as I recall, when it was introduced, Hornady even advertised it as suitable for such. However it's a pretty lightly constructed bullet. A couple of my buddies have taken game with it, but said it was frangible, breaking up quickly.

Nosler's Ballistic Tip on the other hand, has a very strong, thick, bullet jacket. The originals (back in the 1980s) didn't. But newer Ballistic Tip hunting bullets have a rather heavy jacket, particularly at the base. That's why I was comfortable using them on elk & bear last year, in addition to mule deer & antelope.

To me, there is a clear difference between the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Hornady AMax, with the Ballistic Tip being a stronger bullet, offering deeper penetration and probably more suitable for hunting.

Regards, Guy

TackDriver284":23t599k6 said:

What Guy said.

I use the 168Amax a lot on game and have been very happy with it. It does expand widely and quickly however. This is my preference. But I know many others prefer bullets to expand less widely and penetrate further and the heavier BTs like the 165 grainers upwards do that.

The 180g BT in the 308 and 30-06 is a VERY stout bullet that will double shoulder punch most game. I can't imagine a deer it wouldn't punch clear through.

Guy Miner":3087zylf said:
TackDriver284":3087zylf said:

The Hornady AMax has been used on light game, and as I recall, when it was introduced, Hornady even advertised it as suitable for such. However it's a pretty lightly constructed bullet. A couple of my buddies have taken game with it, but said it was frangible, breaking up quickly.

Nosler's Ballistic Tip on the other hand, has a very strong, thick, bullet jacket. The originals (back in the 1980s) didn't. But newer Ballistic Tip hunting bullets have a rather heavy jacket, particularly at the base. That's why I was comfortable using them on elk & bear last year, in addition to mule deer & antelope.

To me, there is a clear difference between the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Hornady AMax, with the Ballistic Tip being a stronger bullet, offering deeper penetration and probably more suitable for hunting.

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy and Bob, I used the Ballistic Tip 168 in the .308 last year on a deer, wonderful exit the size of a half dollar and dropped right there. I agree that it has a thicker jacket at the base. I ,still, will continue to use the Ballistic Tips for deer sized game, the AMax was a thought that came to mind. Thanks again.

TackDriver284":160ht7n1 said:
Guy Miner":160ht7n1 said:
TackDriver284":160ht7n1 said:

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy and Bob, I used the Ballistic Tip 168 in the .308 last year on a deer, wonderful exit the size of a half dollar and dropped right there. I agree that it has a thicker jacket at the base. I ,still, will continue to use the Ballistic Tips for deer sized game, the AMax was a thought that came to mind. Thanks again.

Love the Ballistic Tips.. just hard to beat them on deer.

bobnob":1haneh3n said:
Still stocked up with the 75 Amax here but it looks like there's a good replacement in the wings!

I just hope the cost comes down a little...
They're still a lot cheaper than Sierras or Bergers, and IMHO a comparable or possibly superior bullet. Catch Midway on your birthday week, then they are near the price of the 75HPBT.

After a season of match shooting, this bullet is definitely a keeper. Shot my best score ever at 600, then beat it by 2 points the next day. Another match a few weeks later raised my personal best by another 5 points to 198. These suckers shoot, they buck wind. IMHO the best 600 yard bullet available for match shooting in the AR platform.

Back