65gr SGK out of a 1/12 twist?

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Since I have heard nothing except Stellar reports about this bullet on Coyotes for years, I decided
to try them from my T/C Compass with its 1/12 twist that is NOT soposed to be able to stabilize this bullet??? The box says right on it 1/10 twist or faster :(
So just for fun I loaded up some ontop of 40grs of 414 and sent a couple over the chronograph and it said 3385 fps. So thought that would be a nice combo for Yotes, IF could ever get them to shoot?
Just got back from the range here is the results at 18 degrees with a 15 kt wind right in my face. Shooting off A very rickety old table ........ from 200 yds back from target....IMG_1497.JPG
Regardless of what the twist charts say I am pretty sure I can live with this!!! Also have no doubt with some tuning and bit nicer conditions can probably get that down to MOA at 200yds.
Guess it pays to try em !

This bullet is the only one I use out of my MP 15 with a 1X8 Twist. I've had excellent accuracy results and I'm looking forward to trying it out on deer sized game. A good friend uses this bullet for Deer hunting and has had nothing but good things to say about it.

A bunch of the old wolfers in Alaska have used this bullet for many years , and a big wolf running away is not
an easy thing to kill. But the 65 SGK has a proven track record with Wolves. I doubt a 150 lb deer will have any chance if you do your part......

In a 223 with much lower velocity it probably does take a 1:12, but those are smokin. I think it'll work.

Got a chance to try the 65gr SGK bullets out today!
Here is one that decided to take a chance
And head to our bait at 300 yds , In broad daylight, which
Only happens here 15% of the time! It appears he had been shot in left rear leg with a 22LR at some time?? He will not be pulling any more deer down this winter....... 20180107_144118.jpg

Congrats on the dog E! Glad those 65’s work! Can’t hardly beat a good 250!

Back