MILK JUGS & 6MM 90 GR. E-TIP

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I set up a piece of heavy particle board shelf material on two saw-horses and had 8 water jugs on the board. I had about 16 inches of the board hanging over the front saw horse at 300 yards with one jug sitting on the front portion. I set up my chronograph in front of the target so I could see the velocity when the bullet impacted the water jugs so I would KNOW what it had been, and would not have to guess! I was sure hoping I would not shoot my Chronograph! :p

001-16.jpg

I shot twice with my son's 6mm and his 90 gr. E-Tip. The first went through 2 jugs and out and I never found the bullet. I hit just a sliver high as I think I was afraid of shooting my chrono, and all of a sudden having an expensive ($120.00) test... :oops: I checked the speed and it was 2482 fps and I set more jugs up. My next shot chronographed 2487 fps, 5 fps difference! 8)

003-7.jpg

004-9.jpg

That bullet went through 4 jugs and slipped out the right side. The hydralic effect on the jugs with the water was amazing. I never expected the water to spray out with so much force as it does so in a 360 degree arc. The force was great enough that on my second shot you can see that it completely shattered the board and broke off the portion hanging over the saw-horse!

005-7.jpg

I was lucky enough to find the E-tip on the ground off to the right about 3 feet. It looks like after exiting the 4th jug it didn't hit any others and bounced off the 1/2" sheet of fiberboard backing they use to hold targets. It was laying on the ground right below the front edge of the board. It appears to have worked perfectly, and I'm really pleased with the expansion at 2487 fps! I would like to duplicate this test at 400 and maybe 500 yards, but it will be difficult to catch the bullets and find them. It was pretty hard to do at 300 yards! I tried one of my 30-06 165 gr. Accubonds. It went through some jugs and after 3 or 4 it went out the right side also. I was not able to locate it though like I was lucky enough to do with the 6mm. A 6x8 foot blue plastic tarp laid down on the ground might help. I am impressed with the E-Tip and how it worked and expanded though. Sure makes one confident in that thing! NO wonder my son's elk tipped over so quickly. No bouncing of on one of those Dr. Mike! :shock:
David

Helps if I put a photo of the bullet! :oops: :p

013-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

This shows the bottom side of the shelving board. It bowed it pretty good and cracked it as you can see in addition to snapping the overhang section off! WOW 8)

010-5.jpg

This looks like way too much fun, David. Great performance on that little bullet, though.

Thanks MIke, it was impressive to say the least. I should have not cleaned up before I took pictures as it would have shown better the mahem that resulted from all of this! :lol: I was not expecting that bullet to hit hard enough though to force that water to do what it did though. Pretty cool!
David

For comparison, the upper left bullet is the 90 gr. E-Tip from the same rifle at 100 yards shot into water jugs.

E-tipAccubondPartition.jpg

Great report on the e-tip, looking forward to seeing what they do in daughters 243, might just be the bullet that replaces the 80 grn ttsx, ten more grns is ten more, I might still let her use it for her moose this year yet. :wink:

Looks great David. Man, that little bullet looks pretty darned good to me at that range. Thanks for the test on them. What is the muzzle velocity of your loads? Scotty

Too bad I could not get them to shoot in my 243.
Great test.
Why is there a decimal in your velocity readings?

Randy

velvetant":86arqgsv said:
Great test.

Randy

Not sure. I hope it doesn't mean there was an error and the velocity reading was not correct. Even if it was off at least I found the bullet so that is what is most important as we all know the velocity is reduced and that was more what I was concerned about and that it still mushroomed nicely. I might have to just shoot through it again at 300 yards to try and get the fps again to confirm.

According to my Ballistic Calculator.....
MV 3190 fps
BC .403
300 yd V 2482 fps

JD338

Thanks for sharing your test, I guess shooting through your chronograph @ 300 yards sure makes you concentrate on getting a good shot :wink: looks like a tough little bullet.

Thats a great result. Glad you posted that as I just found a great load with the 90gr etip in my 243AI and was wondering about how the etips expand at longer range. Can't wait to try them out this season.

JD I believe that is correct or pretty darn close. I just looked at the Nosler #6 book and with a muzzle speed of 3160 for a .400-.409 BC bullet, it would be right about what you show so my chrono was correct on the readings of 2482 and 2487.

gerry- yes, I did not want to hit my chronograph and I was very cautious as I sure didn't want this to be a very expensive experiment! :shock:

Scotty- as shown above it was 3160 fps at the muzzle. I should post a picture with the 100 yard mushroom and the 300 yard one next to each other. I think it did really well though.

6mm Remington":1k0peye7 said:
velvetant":1k0peye7 said:
Great test.

Randy

Not sure. I hope it doesn't mean there was an error and the velocity reading was not correct. Even if it was off at least I found the bullet so that is what is most important as we all know the velocity is reduced and that was more what I was concerned about and that it still mushroomed nicely. I might have to just shoot through it again at 300 yards to try and get the fps again to confirm.

I think you have the chrono set for meters per second. Converting from meters to feet will give you about 3240 fps. Check your chrono settings.

Great fun and good testing RS3, far more technical & scifi than I have even attempted..

Keep it up!! Soon we will have the Northern Plains free of the nasty milk jug...

Rod

Back