243 Win 85gr TSX

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
A guy wanted the buck I shot last fall so I brought it over to his place for him to butcher it. He found this lodged in the off side shoulder.

DSCN4564.jpg

DSCN4562.jpg

DSCN4561.jpg

DSCN4557.jpg

Yeah, monolithic bullets just don't work, do they? :mrgreen: Picture perfect expansion and penetration.

It sure did work Doc. Even though I cant figure out for the life of me why it didnt pass through. The shot was only about 200 yards and was my second shot. I knocked him down first shot and shot him again behind the onside shoulder quartering into his offside shoulder. Hopefully Ill have pics of a 95gr Btip to post up sometime this hunting season. Ive got 8 tags I can fill with m 243, so odds are I should recover at least one, Right!? :grin:

The 95gr BT is a tough bullet DT. It is really accurate and expands very well. If kept to sane speeds, I think you would be hard pressed to do better for a deer bullet in a 243. The jacket is pretty heavily tapered towards the bottoms to ensure decent penetration. I like it a bunch. Scotty

Looks like it is supposed to.....

How far away was the buck when you shot him Deer Tracker?

The mono bullets are the poorest killers of deer.

Bullets that fragment yet of course penetrate are more humane as the kill faster.

However if you must use solid bullets then it seems you have no choice.

Fotis, I'm not sure but it was only about a 125 yard shot so it hadn't slowed down a whole lot. I'm shooting 95gr ballistic tips out of the rifle now with amazing results

I have taken a half dozen or so Whitetails with the 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (actually a load with H-4350 I got from a forum member her several years ago). All have been one shot kills at ranges from almost 200 yards out to darn close to a quarter mile. I never have recovered a single 95gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip.

The one at almost a quarter mile was in a field I had farmed for many years and knew the land marks well thus knowing the distance. The Doe was wounded by another hunter and standing by a tree. I flipped the bipod down, cacluated the hold over and when I thought everything was right I squeezed the trigger. To my surprise the doe never took a step and dropped at the shot.

The particular Ruger KM77RFP MKII I was shooting that load in really, really liked that load with most 3 shot groups at 100 yards from the bench resulting in all 3 holes touching. I sure wish that rifle would have shot varmint bullets that well.

Larry

Back