Hornady Vmax 58 from the 243

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Hope this isnt too graphic for some of you guys????? Here is the results of the Vmax 58gr into a medium sized Maine coyote [35lbs] gut shot from about 150yds . This is a picture to show the unreal distruction from this little bullet from the .243Win and in no way are we trying to be disrespectful to the animal . :|
58grVmax.jpg

No Mike a blindman could almost follow that one with his cane. I just wished this little bullet worked better at 300 yds with a 20 kt crosswind, but of course physics tells us it WONT. But for stuff closer if the wind isnt blowing a gale the terminal effect of a 58 gr bullet with the Vmax construction is almost unbealivable until you actually see it! This is one of those shots were if you hit this coyote in the exact same place with a 180gr bullet from a 30/06 especially a premium bullet . You would likely be in for one heck of a long chase; or even worse, never see this guy again. I know a million sob storys; about gut shot coyotes; that were never found. Looks like Hornady hit a homerun with this bullet for coyotes! I have some Vmax in 87gr, that I use for the longer shots to buck wind, and they work fantastic as well!

This buck was taken with a 58gr Vmax

IMGP7916.jpg

My buddy has a 6mm Rem and had his coyotes loads for deer hunting. Well, he ended up shooting that buck around 200-250 yards I guess. Heart shot him.. I know it could have gone wrong, but with decent shot placement, it worked pretty well. Now he has been talked into something a little beefier like the 95gr BT, but he actually enjoys the way it dumps deer and coyotes..

Hey thats alright Scotty! Nice job ........................... that is a pretty darn light bullet for that sized game but like you said as long as they get it into him in the right spot it will do the job.
Hey do you realize one of the favorite guns for the Eskimos to use out on the ice is a Ruger Ranch Rifle in .223 ???? They love those guns and have shot many many Polar Bears with them. Again I sure wouldnt go around promoting a 223 for the great white bear but its a proven fact it works!!!!

Ive shot a few of the 58gr'ers out of my 243 also. Bought a box of the Hornady Custom ammo, went out to the range that afternoon, sighted my rifle in with the load, took the remainder of the box straight from the range out to my honey hole, called in a pair and lost sight of the lead dog. 2nd one hung up at 350 yards. I put the crosshairs right on her chest and she flopped over! Quite a bit of damage so the fur wasnt sellable. The next morning my dad and i went out and just as we sat down to call, we noticed 4 coyotes below us. Dad dropped one and the next closest coyote was a lazered 480 yards away. I held about 8" above its back and dropped it! I agree they arent the best in the wind (which we have alot of in my neck of the woods). I really want to try some of the 87gr Vmax's!

Thats a darn good report on the DeerTracker and thanks for sharing that . I had so much trouble with light bullets years ago with crosswinds I am probably over cautious nowadays. The performance of the bullet is unquestionable....................

Quit posting my deer all over the place Scotty! Some people cant handle seeing such a massive Mule Deer :p

I will admit I use the 58's on everything from Chucks to Deer.

Attachments

• P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4,525
  • 6mm to the FACE.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 4,525
  • 0321121824.jpg
    755.5 KB · Views: 4,524
Flatbolt: :lol: That is an outradious Mule Deer !!!! I would let a buck that would score 25 pts more B&C that was clean and smooth; walk right off to shoot that buck with all that extra trash hanging off it ................. NICE work. :wink: Is that a local buck????

FLAT BOLT":22qoy45v said:
Quit posting my deer all over the place Scotty! Some people cant handle seeing such a massive Mule Deer :p

I will admit I use the 58's on everything from Chucks to Deer.

Sorry buddy. It was too good to not show off.. I have to hunt vicariously through you some times, since you actually live in my hunting grounds! :twisted:

Whelen - Yeah its "local" in the sense that it used to roam in the hills I hunt, its not a burbs buck or a high fence buck he was a big open spaces mule deer. The base score for the 5 main points was 202'ish, 4 points of deductions and an additional 44-45 inches of non-typicalness. Almost 50 inches in mass is what put that buck over the top, he is "only" 21 inches wide. 11x13

Winter 2011 Boone and Crocketts Fair Chase Magazine for recently excepted Trophies...

Attachments

• FAIR CHASE MAGAZINE 3.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 4,510
FLAT BOLT":3crrtvua said:
Whelen - Yeah its "local" in the sense that it used to roam in the hills I hunt, its not a burbs buck or a high fence buck he was a big open spaces mule deer. The base score for the 5 main points was 202'ish, 4 points of deductions and an additional 44-45 inches of non-typicalness. Almost 50 inches in mass is what put that buck over the top, he is "only" 21 inches wide. 11x13

Winter 2011 Boone and Crocketts Fair Chase Magazine for recently excepted Trophies...

Danged show off! :twisted:

8) sMOKing buck flatbolt................................. your a ROCKSTAR in my book!!! Nice plus plus :mrgreen:

FLAT BOLT":3imjd4qt said:
Ohh sorry Scott, how big was yours :mrgreen:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Man, your getting the ignore button! :lol:

FYI, Mike is an OLD Marine buddy, although he probably still gets carded for PG13 movies!

FLAT BOLT":2wffei6b said:
Ohh sorry Scott, how big was yours :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHA!!! Flat Bolt's deer is a monster for sure! Got too see it up close and personal a few months ago.

Nice job Flatbolt.

I've seen some huge bucks down in the Owyhee's with nary a tag. It might just be one of the few place left in SW Idaho with any record class bucks. A friend wants me to put in for 42 this year with him. He has permission to hunt on a 130,000 acre ranch down there and has seen some 36-38" bucks.

Back