6mm 90 gr. E-tip 25 yards

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
Made it through 4 and stuck in the skin on the side of number 5.

Bullettests-5-4-12004.jpg

Bullettests-5-4-12019.jpg

Bullettests-5-4-12020.jpg

25 yards - 100 yards - 300 yards comparison

Bullettests-5-4-12021.jpg

That final picture is delightful, David. Thanks for posting.

DrMike":23msk7eq said:

Agree Mike. The other's almost become boring as we have them figured out, and know what they are going to look like. It is nice I thought to see the comparison one next to the other. Now if I can find a little larger water container maybe I can pull one out at 400 and 500 yards to add to the chart. Now that would be a nice!

DrMike":3ih8g05p said:

X2, it looks like it would be good to keep the impact speeds up with the E Tip, you are still good for shots over 300 yards though still.

David,

Good catch. I have recovered several E-Tips, .257 100gr, 7mm 150 gr and .338 200gr and almost all of them were stuck in the back side of jugs.

JD338

gerry":3ssvw3h6 said:
DrMike":3ssvw3h6 said:

X2, it looks like it would be good to keep the impact speeds up with the E Tip, you are still good for shots over 300 yards though still.
Gerry I know we can get pretty darn close to knowing what the speed of impact will be at 300 yards and further if we know our fps at the muzzle, but I still just had this itch to try it the hard way. I set my chronograph up at 300 yards and shot through the screen and into the jugs! :lol: I was a bit nervous the first time I did that as I sure didn't want to shoot my chronograph! :oops: :evil: It blazed through there at 2485 fps. That's the same bullet my son Jeff used two years ago on a big old cow elk at 350 yards broadside. He hit her tight behind her right shoulder and the bullet exited her left shoulder. She only went 20 yards, 30 at tops and tipped over. It worked pretty darn well!
David

Well I guess it's good for 350+ yards then :) I do remember you shooting through your chronograph at 300 yards I'm sure you were concentrating when you pulled the trigger!

gerry":thdtwujv said:
Well I guess it's good for 350+ yards then :) I do remember you shooting through your chronograph at 300 yards I'm sure you were concentrating when you pulled the trigger!
I was afraid Gerry, very afraid! :mrgreen:
As Mike mentioned, this is a good comparison as it shows real world results and it makes it easy to compare when they are right next to each other. I think the 300 yard expansion was still pretty darn good and it looked like it opened up nicely.

Bullettests-5-4-12021.jpg

90grE-tip002.jpg

The petals are more pronounced and are sharper the less that it opens up which in itself might be beneficial and as it's spinning, I would think it would be cutting more than just punching through stuff. :idea:

Man, that looks pretty good David. You really did some shooting there. Glad to see you are hammering them jugs!

The E-Tips I've shot so far have performed flawlessly. I'm working up loads built around E-Tips in several rifles.

Fotis that is in my boy's Ruger MKII 6mm. It is as follows:
Winchester brass
Federal 210 primer
2.840 OAL - in his Ruger he has enough magazine length to seat them out that far. They recommend a jump to lands with the E-tip as you all know. I don't recall how much he has off the top of my head, but this depth works in his rifle at least.
H100V - 44.5 grs.

Those look like perfect mushrooms!

Never have tried the E-Tip, but that's a studly little bullet. Impressive.

Guy my son has taken one mule deer buck, a couple of antelope, and one cow elk with that bullet and each one was a one shot kill. His closest was the mule deer buck at about 200 or just a bit further. The longest was his cow elk at 350 yards. We have yet to recover one in four animals taken with it!
David

Great pics David! I refuse to use copper bullets until they force me to, but it is good to know there is one that will work.

Back