6mm 90AB

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Well I caught the nosler ghost today. Shooting out of a 6-284 on top of 56 gr of IMR-7828 SSC according to QL its running close to 3550. After running through my pressure loads I had saved the hot one for the tests. Fighting a 15-30 mph wind I waited for about 45 minutes for a calm spot pulled the trigger at 100 yards and she squirted through the side so I went back to the house loaded one more. That one again squirted through the side by this time I was down to 5 jugs and thought well this is my last chance so I moved up to 25 yards set up and shot. The first two jugs vanished went up figuring it squirted thought the side again. Picked up the third jug since there was a whole in it shook it and I heard a rattle. Pulled it out and what I saw was amazing. The little 90 grain AccuBond had opened up to an impressive .640 and came out in one piece. The down side was it retained 35.6 grains or 39.5% of its original weight. It was the ultimate torture test. When you take a minute and think about it this bullet was designed to operate at a max velocity of 3200 fps for it to stay together at 3500+ is absolutely amazing. Well done Nosler!

Attachments

• IMAG0134.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,195
  • IMAG0135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4,195
  • IMAG0136.jpg
  • IMAG0137.jpg
  • IMAG0138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,195
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4,195
Here's a few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMAG0140.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,194
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 4,194
It does look as if you will get good performance out of that bullet. :grin:

Jake,

Nicely done buddy! Bullet looks great, considering what it was put through.
Like I told ya, those jugs have to be lined up perfectly. :wink:

I am pretty sure that bullet will smash a shoulder blade and gel the lungs of a deer making for a DRT kill.

JD338

That is about as brutal as brutal gets and it still held together. :grin: :wink: Nice job. Great looking bullet. For comparison here is a picture of a 90 gr. E-tip out of my son's 6mm at quite a bit slower speed of 3140-3160 fps. Maybe I'll try it out of my #1B with the 26" barrel as it should give me a bit more speed for a closer comparison. Still it (the AccuBond) worked very well.

David

Bullettests-5-4-12020.jpg

Went through 4 and was stuck on the skin of number 5 on the entry side.
Man those Nosler folks make great bullets!
Bullettests-5-4-12004.jpg

I just wanted to add that 6-284 is a nice looking cartridge also! Looks fast just sitting there!

Very good test Jake. My 264 does the same thing to 130 grain AB's as well. It is torturous on close range shots into the water. They still hold up pretty well, but that is really putting it through its paces. Yeah, I am liking that little 90 AB already. That is pretty slick. Great shooting.

Jake - nice report. The is one fast stepping bullet in your 6X284 :shock: . I may have to give them a try in the 243 and see how they shoot.

Yeah buddy - that was a 3550 fps torture test for sure. Wow.

Looks like you've found a rapid expanding bullet that will still hang together at the velocity your rifle can churn up.

So I kinda think this is important to add I chronied one of this same load the other day when I played with the 280AI and she was out the barrel at 3714!! That is I rocket and for that little feller to stay in one piece at 25 yards is pretty impressive to say the least.

nvbroncrider":3sa4y1p4 said:
Well I caught the nosler ghost today. Shooting out of a 6-284 on top of 56 gr of IMR-7828 SSC according to QL its running close to 3550. After running through my pressure loads I had saved the hot one for the tests. Fighting a 15-30 mph wind I waited for about 45 minutes for a calm spot pulled the trigger at 100 yards and she squirted through the side so I went back to the house loaded one more. That one again squirted through the side by this time I was down to 5 jugs and thought well this is my last chance so I moved up to 25 yards set up and shot. The first two jugs vanished went up figuring it squirted thought the side again. Picked up the third jug since there was a whole in it shook it and I heard a rattle. Pulled it out and what I saw was amazing. The little 90 grain AccuBond had opened up to an impressive .640 and came out in one piece. The down side was it retained 35.6 grains or 39.5% of its original weight. It was the ultimate torture test. When you take a minute and think about it this bullet was designed to operate at a max velocity of 3200 fps for it to stay together at 3500+ is absolutely amazing. Well done Nosler!

That is fast man!

nvbroncrider":1s6xfmhm said:
So I kinda think this is important to add I chronied one of this same load the other day when I played with the 280AI and she was out the barrel at 3714!! That is I rocket and for that little feller to stay in one piece at 25 yards is pretty impressive to say the least.

That is smokin' fast and flat as road kill!
Can you say speed goat flat liner! :mrgreen:

JD338

Fotis - I found a single piece of 6mm-284 brass at the range, maybe 15+ years ago. Had never seen the cartridge before. It looked impressive as all get out.

Sure hope yours shoots as good as it looks!

Fotis,

That there may just be the perfect antelope rifle. :wink:

JD338

Back