6mm 100 gr. Partition - 90 gr. E-tip - 90 gr. Accubond

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I used three loads that were shot in each rifle and chronographed just prior to the test. The loads were the exact same for each rifle with only the rifles being changed, not loads to get a better comparison and to see the effects of different chambers and barrel lengths. The rifles are as follows:
Remington Model 600 - 6mm Remington - 18.5 " barrel

Ruger MKII - 6mm Remington - 22" barrel

Ruger #1B - 6mm Remington - 26" barrel

Tests were done at 25 yards. I must say that Nosler's rule the roost! These are some awesome bullets. The one E-tip that broke a couple petals off smacked the board I had the jugs sitting on which was placed on the ground. They all performed very well. On the sheets when I say almost out, that means the bullet almost exited the jug it was last in, 5 and almost out for example. Saying it cut #5 for example means it almost got into number 5 and cut the jug and just about got in.

6mmBullettesting003.jpg

6mmBullettesting006.jpg

nvbroncrider":2u1v13ft said:
Awesome work Dave. I guess I'm gonna have to try some E-tips.
I was impressed with them all. It's pretty darn hard to beat those Partitions, and if you noticed they just slightly penetrated deeper than the E-tips. The E-tips were usually broader across the front expanding slightly more. In the last test though, the Accubonds were in jug number five with the rest of them which kind of surprised me. They sure held together well. It was fun. I would not be afraid to use them on deer or antelope for sure!
David

David,

Nicely done! They all did a very good job and held together well.

JD338

6mm Remington":jsfbiune said:
nvbroncrider":jsfbiune said:
Awesome work Dave. I guess I'm gonna have to try some E-tips.
I was impressed with them all. It's pretty darn hard to beat those Partitions, and if you noticed they just slightly penetrated deeper than the E-tips. The E-tips were usually broader across the front expanding slightly more. In the last test though, the Accubonds were in jug number five with the rest of them which kind of surprised me. They sure held together well. It was fun. I would not be afraid to use them on deer or antelope for sure!
David

After looking at it in more detail and fully awake makes me wonder why I got so much expanision with mine .640". Maybe I didn't do something right as in got too much of a direct impact, although mine if it were to have gotten to the 4th jug I think it would have gone out the side. Also wondering if at 25yds it is too close and when the bullet expands the lead is just melting causing less than ideal weight retention and penetration. Although at 3200 those are fine results. But I will agree it is fine medicine for any speed goat or deer, and those Accubonds are doing their job and staying together over a large velocity spectrum. You gentleman might have those answers as that was my first sucessful attempt at jugging a bullet. Only tried once before about 7 years ago with 3 jugs on a 150 Partition if I recall. It seems to me you have a much better idea of what is happening.

Wow - what a great test! Huge amounts of info there - and I'm really impressed with how fast you got that 90 gr E-Tip going from the Ruger 1B.

Good stuff - this is a tough test for a bullet, slamming into the water jugs only 25 yards away, at high velocity... Good stuff.

Thanks! Guy

Guy Miner":32wp67dn said:
Wow - what a great test! Huge amounts of info there - and I'm really impressed with how fast you got that 90 gr E-Tip going from the Ruger 1B.

Good stuff - this is a tough test for a bullet, slamming into the water jugs only 25 yards away, at high velocity... Good stuff.

Thanks! Guy
Guy that load with the E-tip was the load I use in my son's 6mm with H100V. It never showed any pressure signs in his rifle at all and yes I know that doesn't mean that it wouldn't do so in some other rifle for the same cartridge, but I felt okay firing one through the chrono and checking it out and it looked okay and nothing was out of the ordinary. So I used it in the Model 600 as well. Same goes for the 100 gr. Partition load. That works in both the 600 and the #1B (just different seating depth with the 600 having that really short action) , and I'd actually shot it previously in the Ruger MKII so I knew it would be safe. The AccuBond load, well I picked one out of quick load that appeared to be safe and looked like it would be okay in all three. I wasn't going for max. velocity just something safe yet up there to test the bullet good. I was happy with the result. I shot the same load in each rifle. I felt that using the same load in all three with each bullet would and could yield some good data such as how much fps I get with the longer barrel in each one since they are all right at 3.5 or 4" which I felt worked great.

I didn't shoot any groups today, but I do have some Accubonds loaded up with IMR4350 and H100V to try out. A few water jugs gave their all today in this scientific experiment.
David

David, that is excellent information. I am really jealous you got to do all the testing with the new 90 AB's. I am not surprised a bit by the 100 PT and 90 ET performance, especially knowing how well they worked on elk for you.

I am very happy to see that 90 AB is a stout bullet that gives up about 50% weight on high speed shots. Kinda seems like it'll open well at longer ranges as well. Plus, you should really be able to sling it out of your long barreled #1. I think it is a homerun for the 6mm crowd. I don't shoot ultra long range with the 243's and don't expect miracles out of them for hunting, but that 90 AB looks plenty tough to me and when driven to high speeds, it'll get it done well I think. Great test David. Very good results. I think that bullet is worth the wait and I cannot wait to see what it does in my son's 243. Might have to borrow Brian's 243AI reamer and give my boys rifle a little extra juice!

Thanks Scotty. I bet in a .243 it would work great! The little AccuBond is a winner. When I go out and shoot some groups, I might have to do a 100 yard test with it and see if I can capture one there also!
David

6mm Remington":4ine4m5b said:
Thanks Scotty. I bet in a .243 it would work great! The little AccuBond is a winner. When I go out and shoot some groups, I might have to do a 100 yard test with it and see if I can capture one there also!
David

I'm thinking that's where we are going to see them start shining. I think it will really kick up the weight retention and improve penetration JMO. Hopefully I get to do some more work with them starting tomorrow. I think I need to swab my barrel good and shoot some groups. Wasn't at all impressed with the 3-3 shot groups the other day and I believe I got about 60 or 70 rounds down her since my last cleaning, as I did shoot a 10 sighters when I put the new glass on and a bunch pressure rounds for both the 70BT and 90AB. After the 70BT I kinda noticed her starting to open up or at least more than I thought I shold see. Tomorrow is another day though!!

I think it'll really be a nice load in the boys 243. I took a couple deer with the 85 SGK and those worked decent. I can only think the 90 AB will be better and allow for a little more margin of error.. Which I have plenty of!

Good luck with your testing. A clean barrel is a happy barrel! I bet you do fine. Put a jug out there at 75 or 100 and let her rip and see what the results are. I should maybe post some close-ups of the Accubonds. They look better close up then what the picture depicts. They lost some weight yes, but they held together nicely and mushroomed. Like Scotty said, I'm sure they will readily expand at the longer distance than the E-tip, but that E-tip on my boys elk at 350 yards sure did a great job. By all accounts it appeared as if it opened nicely. I sure would have liked to have been able to find it but it exited.

I have a couple loads to play with using IMR4350 and H100V so maybe this weekend if the weather is decent I can try them out. Maybe I'll get to do a jug test at 200 and 300 yards and see if I can catch one.
David

SJB358":1wuuonl6 said:
I think it'll really be a nice load in the boys 243. I took a couple deer with the 85 SGK and those worked decent. I can only think the 90 AB will be better and allow for a little more margin of error.. Which I have plenty of!
Scotty have you tried either the 90 gr. E-tip or the 100 gr. Partition in your boys rifle, or did it not care for them?

I am running the 100 PT in my sons rifle. I really don't need more than that. It shoots really well, but I can't help myself from trying something else...

Here is a closer look at the 90 gr. Accubonds so you can better see how they did. I feel they did great. The muzzle velocities were 2906 (model 600), 3086 (MKII), and 3208 (#1B). They look a lot better when you can see the whole bullet and how it performed.

6mmAccubonds004.jpg

6mmAccubonds002.jpg

6mmAccubonds005.jpg

David

Back