6mm 90 gr. AB at 100 yards & a couple groups.

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I shot some groups with IMR4350 and H100V. It did not seem to care for the IMR4350 so much but H100V showed some promise. 44.0 grs gave me 3240 fps average of three shots with a 13/16" group c-c at 100 yards. The first two were in one hole. Not sure if the last was me relaxing the rear bag, or might improve seating it just a bit deeper. I'm going to load it again with this OAL and .010 deeper to see what happens. 43.5 grs. was okay at 1 1/4" c-c and 3212 fps. 44.5 didn't care for, and 45.0 I called the second one. Might try it again as it didn't show any pressure signs and if I concentrate a bit better, it might do well, but I think the 44.0 I need to play with.

6mm90grAccubond008.jpg

I placed a new 2x10 on the ground to set the jugs on and the ground was pretty darn flat here. I just wanted to make sure I could get them nice and tight and lined up good. Mayhem on the first shot.

6mm90grAccubond001.jpg

Second shot into the jugs with one more bullet just to see consistency did this! :shock: :shock: :!: That is just how it looked when I walked down to inspect things and find my AccuBond. WOW

6mm90grAccubond004.jpg

Found in jug number 4. 3240 fps at muzzle, .506 diameter, 44.0 grs., 48.8 % retention.

6mm90grAccubond002.jpg

6mm90grAccubond003.jpg

Found in jug number 4. 3240 fps muzzle, .485 diameter, 46.2 grs., 51.3 % retention.

6mm90grAccubond006.jpg

6mm90grAccubond007.jpg

I think I just need to do some practice now at 400 and 500 yards and find a bit larger plastic jug of some type so I can catch some at those distances to see how they do. I have a 30-06, a 25-06, 300 WSM, and a couple 6mm's that need to be tested at the longer distance. I could probably skip the 300 WSM as it's shooting the same bullet essentially, just a bit heavier. Besides, I have to play with the load for that one anyway to get it tweaked to perfection first anyway. Oh the work!
David

That is a significant transfer of energy as demonstrated by the board. Should have bought Canadian timber. :grin: Consequently, I notice on the first picture that you didn't count the fourth hold in the middle target. It does look considerably bigger than the .243 calibre holes. Then, I looked closely, and I noticed that you have quite a bit of stringing with the rifle that shot those holes. Elevation is consistent, but windage is terrible. You need to work on that rifle, David. :mrgreen:

Seriously, good information. Your results certainly builds confidence in that AccuBond.

Mike I think you are spot on. Surprised I even hit paper! You know if that 44.0 works out like it appears that it could, I won't even have to change sight adjustment from the 100 gr. Partition because that's where those are printing, just about 2 3/4" high at 100. Now that would be great and I could swap without having to mess with any changes! Very lucky sir. :mrgreen: :lol:

It really does shock me how much energy transfer comes from those jugs blowing up. It's amazing!!
David

David,

Good work buddy. That 6mm 90 gr AB is going to be a winner for sure.
You were just kidding when you said that you needed larger jugs for longer range shooting, right? :mrgreen:

JD338

JD338":275oh21w said:
David,

You were just kidding when you said that you needed larger jugs for longer range shooting, right? :mrgreen:

JD338
Jim glad to see you are always there to help out! :roll: :grin: I wonder, those jugs are about 6"x6" by about 6" of good jug side from top to bottom that would work well before you hit the portion where it tapers down for the handle. If I can get them in a 6"x6" square at 400 and 500 yards and keep them lined up so they didn't go squirting off to the side, now that would be doing something! :oops: :lol: Jim me thinks I need a bit larger jug so I don't lose them all! I do appreciate all the support sir! :cry: :p

6mm Remington":a2b8clgp said:
JD338":a2b8clgp said:
David,

JD338
Jim glad to see you are always there to help out! :roll: :grin: I wonder, those jugs are about 6"x6" by about 6" of good jug side from top to bottom that would work well before you hit the portion where it tapers down for the handle. If I can get them in a 6"x6" square at 400 and 500 yards and keep them lined up so they didn't go squirting off to the side, now that would be doing something! :oops: :lol: Jim me thinks I need a bit larger jug so I don't lose them all! I do appreciate all the support sir! :cry: :p

David,

I have confidence in you buddy, you can do it. Just make sure the jugs are lined up perfectly. :wink:

Actually, I am going to shoot 800 yds into to ag jugs, they are 5 gal each. Hopefully they are big enough. :mrgreen:

JD338

Man those things will look itty bitty at 800 yards! What bullet and what cartridge sir?

6mm Remington":3vb8ml4z said:
JD338":3vb8ml4z said:
David,

JD338

What about a 55 gal drum on end? Might not be able to get a good penetration number but it would catch everyone and at 3/4 full I bet all you would have to do is patch the hole with a 1/4 self taping screw or take some 6010 and weld it shut. A plastic one and a tube of epoxy would work too so long as you didn't split it from energy transfer.

David,

338 RUM 300 gr AB at a MV of 2742 FPS. I did center punch one when we shot 800 yds last month.
I am thinking it will be pretty cool to recover one at that distance. 8)

JD338

JD338":1vu2ydqh said:
David,

338 RUM 300 gr AB at a MV of 2742 FPS. I did center punch one when we shot 800 yds last month.
I am thinking it will be pretty cool to recover one at that distance. 8)

JD338
Wow , yes yes yes!!

nvbroncrider":3gbffd4o said:
6mm Remington":3gbffd4o said:
JD338":3gbffd4o said:
David,

JD338

What about a 55 gal drum on end? Might not be able to get a good penetration number but it would catch everyone and at 3/4 full I bet all you would have to do is patch the hole with a 1/4 self taping screw or take some 6010 and weld it shut. A plastic one and a tube of epoxy would work too so long as you didn't split it from energy transfer.

I'd like to find something plastic if possible. Going through steel first would be tough on a poor little old bullet!

Where would I find an empty one Guy? Like NV said too, a guy could use some calk or something to seal it up long enough to use it a couple of times at least, or maybe even be able to get two or three into it before the water leaked out enough that you couldn't shoot into it any more.

I get them from the local packing sheds, where apples are turned into apple juice.

Have 30 of 'em that I set up at the police range to simulate walls, cover, obstacles, etc...

Nice that when they get hit from time to time, the bullets don't ricochet like they can when they hit a steel drum or something similar.

Guy

6mm Remington":2kbjgoea said:
Where would I find an empty one Guy? Like NV said too, a guy could use some calk or something to seal it up long enough to use it a couple of times at least, or maybe even be able to get two or three into it before the water leaked out enough that you couldn't shoot into it any more.

Only bad part is you couldn't verify any penetration. Look at a farm and ranch store. But there are problems with it. That kind of energy being released in it might be too much if I were to do it I would take the top plug out and fill it up to 3/4 or 7/8 or bottom of plug that way you might get to use it mute than once. If it ruptures it would be awesome to have on video.

JD338":1kn03ad3 said:
David,

JD338
I got to thinking Jim. I shot through my chronograph at 300 yards to get a very accurate bullet speed on impact at that distance, hitting and keeping one of these Nosler's in jugs at 400 and 500 yards should be a piece of cake right? :oops: :mrgreen:

Just remember, David. You want the bullet to pass through the chronograph prior to impact at 800 yards. Ain't no hill for a stepper.

That 90gr AB looks like a mean little bullet!

You might want to tilt the front of your chrony up so that it matches the path of your bullet. Wouldn't want to be shooting though it at an angle and get a false reading :wink:

jmad_81":ztkeicv6 said:
That 90gr AB looks like a mean little bullet!

You might want to tilt the front of your chrony up so that it matches the path of your bullet. Wouldn't want to be shooting though it at an angle and get a false reading :wink:
You should know that 6mm shoots like a laser and is string straight man, there just aint no angles needed. It's those broad shouldered soft sloped big bore behemoths that you all need to worry about! :mrgreen: :lol:

Back