95 Grain SST - 85 Grain Partition - 100 Grain Winchester PP

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
The reason for this jug test is that I wanted to test factory ammo for a .243 Winchester. The rifle used was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with a 22" barrell and a VXI 3x9x50 scope. I have been doing all of my hunting (antelope and deer) with Hornady 95 Grain SST's in Superformance. My brother lives in Bend and we went to the Nosler Store during one of my last visits. I picked up a box of Nosler Trophy Grade 85 Grain Partitions and the only thing I have shot with them was a Porcupine as of yet (it was a head shot so it was drt). I wanted to test out the Partitions in comparison with the Hornady SST's and was kind of skeptical of the weight of the 85 Grain bullet for deer. I also had some Winchester 100 Grain Power Points on hand so I threw them into the mix. The Hornady's list the muzzle velocity at 3,185 and the Nosler's list their muzzle velocity at 3,250 although I am guessing that both are in a 24" barrell. I do not know what the Winchester's advertised velocity is but I am guessing that it is in the 2950 range.

I set up the jug test at about 10 yards. The results are as follows:

Hornady - Penetrated 3 jugs and the jacket and core were separated and both were found in the 3rd jug. The first two jugs were completely blown apart but there was a smaller hole in the third and it did not move off the table. Final weight was 40.8 Grains or 42.9% of original.

Nosler - The first 4 jugs were blown completely off the table and and bullet was found in the 5th jug intact. Final weight was 58.8 grains or 69.2% of original.

Winchester. The first 3 jugs were blown apart, the 4th had a clean hole through it and the bullet dented and made a small hole in the 5th jug but the bullet was laying on the table and had not penetrated the 5th jug. Final weight was 59.6 grains or 59.6% of original. The jacket and core were completely separated as well, like the Hornady.

This test would probably have been better served at 100 yards than at muzzle velocity, however it is pretty interesting that the SST blew apart. I hate to admit this on a Nosler forum (Sorry Nosler), but I have been a pretty loyal Hornady customer...until now. I am definitely going to do so move jug tests with Accubonds in 243 as well as in 270 and will post more results later. See for yourself, but the results are in the data and the pictures. Nice work Nosler!

Attachments

• IMG_2561.JPG
    461.1 KB · Views: 6,059
  • IMG_2564.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 6,058
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 6,058
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 6,058
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 6,058
  • IMG_2584.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 6,058
I used the 85 grain Partition on a few deer in Utah. They were meat deer (2-3 points, >150 pounds) and all died instantly when shot with one high lung shot apiece. I gave somebody on this forum a box of these 85 Partitions, .243 bullets after I sold my .243 but I do not think that they believed me about how well this bullet kills deer and never tried them. The 85 gr Partiton was also very accurate in my Browning even at 300 yards. I would pick this bullet over the other two anytime.

I am a believer in the 100 PT in the 243. Absolutely a stone cold killer. Seems like the 85 PT is in the same boat!

Wanted to update this as I decided to use the 85 grain partitions on elk this year after this test. Shot a yearling calf elk with these loads. I couldn't recover the bullet because it was a pass through shot. I shot it at a steep downhill angle (45 degree) and the bullet broke its spine, then ranged through the right lung and out the ribcage. It rolled downhill a little before expiring. Nice work Nosler!

Palouser":54p5fohz said:
Wanted to update this as I decided to use the 85 grain partitions on elk this year after this test. Shot a yearling calf elk with these loads. I couldn't recover the bullet because it was a pass through shot. I shot it at a steep downhill angle (45 degree) and the bullet broke its spine, then ranged through the right lung and out the ribcage. It rolled downhill a little before expiring. Nice work Nosler!

And some people think a 243 is too small for deer with 100's let alone using a 85 gr Partition for elk. Congratulations great job from a great bullet, any pics?

I have pics but have had trouble uploading them from my phone. I will try on my home computer tomorrow. I was thinking the same thing you were. I was just reading the latest shooting times, there was an article from Joseph Von Benedikt basically saying 300 Wby is a minimum for elk. I guess not!

I will say there is no way I would have even thought about a frontal or shoulder shot. I only would have taken a lung shot.

The article you read, I guess a 300 Win mag isn't enough then :) As the saying goes you had better open your freezer carefully next time in case your elk decides to jump out :lol:

Okay, Gerry (elk jump out!). Killing a calf is not the same as a rasty old bull that weighs 600 pounds and is mad at the world, plus is caked with urine and mud!

I started to rethink killing power after slaughtering loads of steers over the years with a 22 long. Most are 1200 lbs, ornery, and have thick skulls. The 22 long has never failed, although I tell them it is a 300 Wby. If a 22 long can penetrate that much heavy bone, a 243 can penetrate some ribs and hide less thick than a steers thick hide. I am off my soap box.

I used to kill horses with a .45 auto. However, they are tethered and you can walk up within 2 feet of them and shoot them with a brainshot every time. I have also killed ferrule pigs with a .22WMR, Single Six Ruger (using 40 grain solids) but I had dogs keeping them busy and was a foot away from their brain when I shot them.

These are not the same circumstances as hunting elk. One thing elk hunting has taught me is to respect the tenacity of life that elk have even when fatally injured, they can go an amazing distance sometimes on instinct and will to live.

Now I won't sleep until I take a herd bull with my 243 and 85 grain partitions! Thanks for the challenge. I agree with you, but have never heard of anybody taking an elk with a 6 mm, and we took two this year with 2 shots, no more. I used to have a friend who swore by the 340 Wby for elk in Montana, but he lost 2 elk in 3 years. I think it is more about the hunter and the shooting ability of the hunter more than the caliber.

It is all about the hunter skill, sound decisions on when to shoot and shooting skill with elk. Under the right circumsatnces, you can kill any elk with any centerfire rifle and a bullet that will penetrate and expand under certain conditions. Poachers in Maine when I was a kid used klieg lights and .22 LR's for killing deer.

I killed several elk with a .338 WM and 210 or 225 grain Partitions, plus a .30-06 and 180 Partitions. Satisfying my ego is less important to me than doing something in a way that minimises pain, suffering and assures reasonably quick death. I do not even take shots at elk with the .338 WM if the angle and range is not within my particular high probability and capability range. Everyone has to define their own high capability and high probability range limitations and put them in practice.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Now, please move to the conservative side of the state. You have way too much common sense to be living over there!

I am trapped over here in Bellngham with a University which churns Liberals out at least 1000 times faster then people like me are able to even get our point across.

Now mind you, I have a Master's degree but did not get involved in college culture in night school. I was working (12) hours a day while going to MBA school.

Palouser":bfp1mq6o said:
Now I won't sleep until I take a herd bull with my 243 and 85 grain partitions! Thanks for the challenge. I agree with you, but have never heard of anybody taking an elk with a 6 mm, and we took two this year with 2 shots, no more. I used to have a friend who swore by the 340 Wby for elk in Montana, but he lost 2 elk in 3 years. I think it is more about the hunter and the shooting ability of the hunter more than the caliber.

A bull I shot with my 6mm a few years ago using a 100 gr. Nosler Partition. He was about 30 yards away and I shot in his right shoulder. He was slightly turned and the bullet went through the lungs and exited out just in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a few steps and I put one more in his neck and he dropped. He was dead on his feet but I did not want him running down hill as I had to take him up.

Huntingarchives034.jpg

My sons first elk, a large cow he shot at 350 yards from the prone position using a Harris bi-pod and his 6mm Remington. She was broadside and he hit her directly behind her right shoulder. The bullet exited out her left shoulder as you can see in the picture. She went about 20 yards and dropped. His bullet was the 90 gr. E-tip by Nosler.

008-3.jpg

:wink:

Palouser I forgot to add that a good friend of mine had his 13 year old son shoot a nice cow with his .243 this year also. I'm not positive on the shot distance but I think it was something like 75 yards, I don't remember what he said. She ran not very far and dropped. One shot!

6mm Remington":yaeb6ooy said:
Palouser":yaeb6ooy said:

A bull I shot with my 6mm a few years ago using a 100 gr. Nosler Partition. He was about 30 yards away and I shot in his right shoulder. He was slightly turned and the bullet went through the lungs and exited out just in front of his left shoulder. He staggered a few steps and I put one more in his neck and he dropped. He was dead on his feet but I did not want him running down hill as I had to take him up.

Huntingarchives034.jpg

My sons first elk, a large cow he shot at 350 yards from the prone position using a Harris bi-pod and his 6mm Remington. She was broadside and he hit her directly behind her right shoulder. The bullet exited out her left shoulder as you can see in the picture. She went about 20 yards and dropped. His bullet was the 90 gr. E-tip by Nosler.

008-3.jpg

:wink:

That is awesome David! Thanks for the pics! Nice shooting. I was starting to think I was crazy for hunting elk with a .243. At least you are crazy as well!

Palouser":cjs39v5m said:
That is awesome David! Thanks for the pics! Nice shooting. I was starting to think I was crazy for hunting elk with a .243. At least you are crazy as well!

Trust me buddy, nobody is as crazy as David.... :lol:

Back