Superformance SST vs. 85 Grain Partition

Palouser

Handloader
Jan 20, 2012
I performed this jug test because I wanted to test factory ammo for a .243 Winchester. The rifle used for the test was a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with a 22" barrell and a VXI 3x9x50 scope. I have been doing all of my hunting (antelope and deer) with Hornady 95 Grain SST's in Superformance. My brother lives in Bend and I recently visited the Nosler store and picked up a box of Nosler Trophy Grade 85 Grain Partitions. The only thing I have shot with these so far has been a Porcupine (drt). I wanted to test the 85 grain bullet out before deer hunting this fas as I was kind of skeptical of the weight of the 85 Grain bullet for deer. I also had some Winchester 100 Grain Power Points on hand so I threw them into the mix. The Hornady's list the muzzle velocity at 3,185 and the Nosler's list their muzzle velocity at 3,250 although I am guessing that is in a 24" barrell. I do not know what the Winchester's advertised velocity is but I am guessing that it is in the 2950 range.

I set up the jug test at about 10 yards. The results are as follows:

Hornady -
Penetrated 3 jugs and the jacket and core were separated and both were found in the 3rd jug. The first two jugs were completely blown apart but there was a smaller hole in the third and it did not move off the table. Final weight was 40.8 Grains or 42.9% of original.

Nosler - The first 4 jugs were blown completely off the table and and bullet was found in the 5th jug intact. FInal weight was 58.8 grains or 69.2% of original.

Winchester - The first 3 jugs were blown apart, the 4th had a clean hole through it and the bullet dented and made a small hole in the 5th jug but the bullet was laying on the table and had not penetrated the 5th jug. Final weight was 59.6 grains or 59.6% of original. The jacket and core were completely separated as well like the Hornady.

This test would probably have been better served at 100 yards that at muzzle velocity, however it is pretty interesting that the SST blew apart. I hate to admit this on a Nosler forum (Sorry Nosler), but I have been a pretty loyal Hornady customer...until now. I am definitely going to do so more jug tests with Accubonds in 243 as well as in 270 and will post more results later. See for yourself, but the results are in the data and the pictures. Nice work Nosler!

Attachments

• IMG_2584.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 5,252
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    328.7 KB · Views: 5,251
  • IMG_2573.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 5,251
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 5,251
  • IMG_2564.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 5,251
  • IMG_2561.JPG
    461.1 KB · Views: 5,251
This is kind of off subject, but my wife just got an I-phone. I read in this forum someone mentioning a ballistics app, but could not find that thread when I was looking last night. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are they worth paying for or just use the free ones?

Thanks,

Todd

shooter or strelok or just go to the app store on her phone and search ballistics tons of free stuff out there

strelok is my favorite free app

Palouser":12v7qwqy said:
This is kind of off subject, but my wife just got an I-phone. I read in this forum someone mentioning a ballistics app, but could not find that thread when I was looking last night. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are they worth paying for or just use the free ones?

Thanks,

Todd

For android if you search ballistics there is actually one there for Nosler contains all the BC of each nosler bullet less work more play!!

nvbroncrider":2jn3f3ua said:
Palouser":2jn3f3ua said:

Thanks,

Todd

For android if you search ballistics there is actually one there for Nosler contains all the BC of each nosler bullet less work more play!!

Just downloaded this one last night. Thanks, it is awesome!

Palouser

Nice test, thanks for posting.
Tough to beat that PT. The 6mm 85 gr PT looks good.

JD338

Gota love NPT's!
I haven't used anything but Nosler bullets since the 80's, and even before then not much else. Played around back then just to see, but pretty much settled and went back, mainly with the Partition for big game.

Yeah, it is almost boring how well the PT's hold up. I have heard stories of PT's "blowing up", but I can't find any evidence of it... I am a huge fan of them. Still the best there is in my opinion. The AB's are super bullets as well, but when it comes to tough bullets that work the same, everytime, the PT's get the crown.

Great test. Love to see torn up bullets.

FOTIS":1sm7fmyo said:
shooter or strelok or just go to the app store on her phone and search ballistics tons of free stuff out there

strelok is my favorite free app

+1 I use strelok as well. It is pretty dang handy.

Nice work on the comparing the three. I enjoy seeing how different bullets act.

I have for many years used the Sierra 85 gr HPBT for deer and antelope, but your results is pushing me to reload some .243 with the 85 Nosler Partition. I bought a box and if the load shoots well, it will be my meat antelope load this year. I pulled a tag in CO and another in WY.

My wife just loves the antelope in her meatloaf along with some pork and occasionally a little buffalo mixed in. I like it too!

SJB358":1xtmwd3z said:
Yeah, it is almost boring how well the PT's hold up. I have heard stories of PT's "blowing up", but I can't find any evidence of it... I am a huge fan of them.

Scotty, I hear the same tales, I think for people who have never used or shot a game animal with a Partition. Even if the entire front end of the bullet tumbles and blows off, you still have 60% of the original weight.

Back