95gr NBT vs water jugs

SCRUBS

Beginner
Aug 26, 2011
The last couple weeks I`ve been working up loads with this bullet for my son`s R700, .243 as well as for my Savage 110, .243. We have both guns shooting well @ 100yds.so I thought I would test the bullet itself......

The shot was @ 15yds with an impact velocity of a little over 2900 fps. I found it in the 4th water jug, and ended up weighing 51.2 grs.

Attachments

• IMG_1308.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 3,728
  • IMG_1304.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,728
  • IMG_1302.JPG
  • IMG_1303.JPG
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 3,728
Wow - I'm impressed that it held together so well at that short range! It is a great bullet. My son and I have taken several mule deer with it, out to about 300 yards. Very accurate, and for us it has penetrated completely (broadside chest shots, sometimes taking out the off-side leg bone).

This is one of those little bullets that performs so very, very well it makes a hunter step back and think a little... Maybe all those big, heavy bullets aren't all that necessary... Not for deer anyway.

Good photos! Thanks.

Regards, Guy

SCRUBS

Good work. That is one tough little bullet.

JD338

I've been tempted to re-visit the BTs as a hunting bullet. We had a run of poor results many years ago and have left them for range work or varmint hunting scenarios. This is one of the bullets that convinced us to steer elsewhere.

Your results show some encouragement. Thanks Scrubs for the work and posting the results.

CatskillCrawler":3ecd8iej said:
I've been tempted to re-visit the BTs as a hunting bullet. We had a run of poor results many years ago and have left them for range work or varmint hunting scenarios. This is one of the bullets that convinced us to steer elsewhere.

Your results show some encouragement. Thanks Scrubs for the work and posting the results.

Todays BT's are much better that the ones of yesteryear.

JD338

That 95 BT is a SUPER bullet in the 243. I saw it penetrate through a hind end and far up into the guts of a rearward showing doe. It was a horrible shot, but that deer was hit hard and died very quickly. It smashed bone and took out enough vitals to kill the deer. I have taken a few as well and it isn't a varmint bullet in the least. It is a tough pill when kept under about 3K.

Great recovery.

JD338":2etabbvm said:

JD338

This seems to be supported from many of the results I've seen in this forum. Fortunately the .243 BT load we had has been replaced with a 95gr PT. The .270s 130gr BT load has been replaced with a 140gr AB and the 25-06s 115gr BT has been replaced with a 120gr PT. Not sure I want to re-invest to replace great loads. :grin: They still work great in their varmint/pred duties and are always neck to neck with SGKs for range work so I guess they still have their value for us. Maybe I can find one that will work in my troublesome 257Roberts. 8)

Well thanks guys, glad you guys liked the test.

I was really pleased with the results, especially considering the impact velocity.Most of the shots we get are usually pretty short, so I figured it was a good test for the little 95gr. Definitely boosts the confidence in this bullet.

JD338":2klufuaf said:
CatskillCrawler":2klufuaf said:

JD338

Absolutely!

I have found this bullet to be an excellent performer on deer. It was my favorite for years.

Back