55 gr BT Varmint for .243 - COL?

blzeye

Beginner
Sep 28, 2012
I just tried loading these bullets for my new Ruger American Rifle, & I'm confused about something. When I measured for max COL, the bullet is so short that it wouldn't even stay seated in the shell. Just the boat tail was in the neck. I loaded some w/ the bullet about 2/3 into the neck & the ogive was about .125" from the lands. Then when I shot, my speeds were only about 3510 fps, much slower than your load data said. I have a 22" barrel, so I'm figuring I should see speeds around 3800 or so. Something just doesn't seem right. Do you have to go w/ a real long bullet jump w/ such a small bullet? Thank you

I would seat the bullet into the case at least a caliber deep and retry. Often the books do not show you the velocity's they are getting. Working up carefully with matched components should net you something close to the book, as long as everything else is the same.

That's about how far the bullet was seated. I usually try to get pretty close, (.005 - .050) from the lands. But w/ this bullet it's impossible. Just wondering if anyone else has tried these bullets & had the same findings, and what their end results were.

Some .243 Win rifles will not shoot the 55 grain bullet well. I had one of those and just loaded it with 80 grain Ballistic Tips and got along fine, especially for coyotes. You don't get the super speed but better accuracy.

Back