90 BT on Whitetail Buck

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I handload for a buddy and he shot a 4x4 buck through both shoulders this last weekend at about 50yds. Missed the leg bone but ribs in and out. Lots of destruction at the entry shoulder and ribs with some bloodshot meat. Ribs in and lungs "gone" - ribs and shoulder meat out. Small hole in hide on exit. I was surprised to see exit at such close range with this bullet and loaded to close to 3100fps.
After reading about the 95gn performance and seeing this, more respect for the BT.

Sounds about right. Don't hear much about the 90BT, but they are tough to beat in the 243 and 6mm Rem's. The 95 BT is a tough nut. It has surprised me how well it penetrates more than once.

Glad you've had such good results too.

I loaded 90gr. NBT's for a .243 Savage Striker I had several years ago but unfortunately I never did take a deer with that gun-n-load.

Larry

Dosent surprise me. The 100 gr BT has never failed me in .25 cal in the ole 250 Sav. Those two are so close balistically inside 200yds a deer would never know the difference. Nice to know, I have a 243 "donor" in the safe..... the trick is not to shoot it.

I've loaded 90gr BT's in my Grandma's 6mm for a few years now. One shot and they are down. Then the grandson has a gutting job to do!

My son dropped 2 pigs in Tx w/ 90 gr NBTs launched from my 6-250 at a sedate 3k fps from <100 yds. They were both one-shot kills but the first (largest; 190-ish lbs) kicked enough to necessitate an insurance shot.

The initial 2 shots on each were pass-throughs (an amazing feat for these little guys as it is), but that one insurance shot lodged in the offside shoulder. I recovered a thick jacket about like what I'd expect from a 95 but lost it when we dumped hides & guts :( .

They're excellent performers tho all the big game taken w/ that rifle (all using that same load) have been by people other than me.

That'll have to change soon (y) !

SJB358":1iz6dodb said:
Sounds about right. Don't hear much about the 90BT, but they are tough to beat in the 243 and 6mm Rem's. The 95 BT is a tough nut. It has surprised me how well it penetrates more than once.
Sounds like some great performance, I'm in the process of loading up some 95gr BT's and 90gr AB's for my Tikka .243, they are both very sleek looking bullets that should put the lights out on Deer sized game, and more :)

Lou

Glad you had success with the 6mm 90 gr BT. The BT design, regardless of caliber, kills game that it is designed for fast.

JD338

SJB358":1ve6qou8 said:
The 95 BT is a tough nut. It has surprised me how well it penetrates more than once

Scotty, here's a sectioned 95gr BT pal, yeah it does look like a tough nut!..I'm loading up 100 rounds of this bullet for my .243, I do expect it to perform well for me too, 40.5grs W760, Fed 210M primers, and WW cases.

Lou

Back