87 hornady hpbt, 243 win

jason miller

Handloader
Sep 4, 2012
I shot one of these into milk jugs yesterday. It was found in the bottom of the third jug, with no mark on the back of the jug. The remaining jacket still had some lead in it, which fell out of the jacket when I picked it up. The remaining jacket/core weigh 31.9 grains. Range was 25 yards, and muzzle velocity should have been around 3050 fps. This is a pretty mild load through a new rifle. I'll work up a little hotter load, and feel no reservations about shooting my remaining 250 of these bullets at anything from marmots to deer.

I'd love to post some, but even my new phone won't do it. And I don't have/want a photobucket or imageshare account. If you'd like, I can prob email you some...

jason miller":1ltkr7c8 said:
I shot one of these into milk jugs yesterday. It was found in the bottom of the third jug, with no mark on the back of the jug. The remaining jacket still had some lead in it, which fell out of the jacket when I picked it up. The remaining jacket/core weigh 31.9 grains. Range was 25 yards, and muzzle velocity should have been around 3050 fps. This is a pretty mild load through a new rifle. I'll work up a little hotter load, and feel no reservations about shooting my remaining 250 of these bullets at anything from marmots to deer.

Here are pictures of Jason's recovered bullets.

Back