90gn BT Recovered from 5pt Bull Elk

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
Here is a 90gn BT recovered from under the hide after breaking both shoulders and the plumbing above the heart. Shot was about 175 - 200 yds.
James Bullet 01.jpg

James Bullet 02.jpg

James Bullet 03.jpg

Not too bad for such a "fragile" bullet. Just don't push the Ballistic Tip too fast and performance will be satisfactory. Last time I can remember a BT performing poorly was a .308 cal back in 1980 - 81 ish. A hot 30-06 load at about 15yds on a whitetail.

My son was pretty excited with this bull since he went out "deer" hunting with his 243 and not his 300WSM and everything turned out perfect. I think he has a better respect for shot placement. He usually carries the bigger gun (he shoots it well).

My experience with the BT was a 100 gr BT that punched through an antelope, first through the near side shoulder, then out the lungs on the far side @ 264 yards, (.25 cal), Launched at a MV of about 2900 FPS. Not that I would go after an Elk necessarily with my 250 Savage, but a tough BT does not surprise me. Cool that it worked out. CL

Outstanding.

I've been a big believer in the Nosler Ballistic Tip for quite some time.

Congrats to your son, and chalk up one more big game animal to the little 6mm Ballistic Tip bullet! (y)

Regards, Guy

I'm working up a 90 BT load in my 243 now. What was the load he was using, if you don't mind? Thanks. Bret

Sorry for late response BretN - Was using RL17 at 42.5 gns - about .025" off. Been using RL17 last few years along with H100V. Settled on H100V for the 70 / 85gn use H100V and with the 95 / 100gn use RL17.

I love it! I've been happy with 95gr Ballistic Tip in my 243. My only experience is with whitetail but after seeing this, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot an elk with it!

DeerTracker - Not to start a "Big Enough" debate. I've seen more then a few cow elk shot with a 243 and will say "Be Careful". Yes we've recovered all of them but some required tracking of miles - plural - miles. Most were like any other, bang and dead with in 100 yds but some have lived for many minutes with shots that hit shoulders or even ribs. 100gn PT or a like bullet of heavy construction in the Heart/ Lung - NOT on the shoulder and you will have an Elk. Last year my hunting buddy shot a cow at 50 yds on the run with 90gn AB. She hit the brush and we waited 15 minutes before going in. She was 50 yds in and stood up when we got right on top of her. A shot to the neck put her back down. The shoulder stopped most of the energy of that small bullet and just a small part of the lungs where messed up. Lucky she layed down right away.
Big Mature bulls require a bit more respect. Since you may only get a couple chances in a life time of hunting to get a shot at a big mature bull. My son and I use 300WSM with 180gn PT or heavier when bull hunting. The Late Cow season is a different story, often 100yds or less and an undisturbed cow is easier to put on the ground. Elk like any other deer are not bullet proof but I've seen them absorb so much energy from '06 and the likes that I just shake my head looking at the multple holes in ribs when they are finally down. These are the exception not the rule.
So like I said - Just be careful of your shot. Yes that 95 BT is a fantastic bullet in the 243/6mm. Lots of deer prove that.

Teknys":1yya7f5c said:
DeerTracker - Not to start a "Big Enough" debate. I've seen more then a few cow elk shot with a 243 and will say "Be Careful". Yes we've recovered all of them but some required tracking of miles - plural - miles. Most were like any other, bang and dead with in 100 yds but some have lived for many minutes with shots that hit shoulders or even ribs. 100gn PT or a like bullet of heavy construction in the Heart/ Lung - NOT on the shoulder and you will have an Elk. Last year my hunting buddy shot a cow at 50 yds on the run with 90gn AB. She hit the brush and we waited 15 minutes before going in. She was 50 yds in and stood up when we got right on top of her. A shot to the neck put her back down. The shoulder stopped most of the energy of that small bullet and just a small part of the lungs where messed up. Lucky she layed down right away.
Big Mature bulls require a bit more respect. Since you may only get a couple chances in a life time of hunting to get a shot at a big mature bull. My son and I use 300WSM with 180gn PT or heavier when bull hunting. The Late Cow season is a different story, often 100yds or less and an undisturbed cow is easier to put on the ground. Elk like any other deer are not bullet proof but I've seen them absorb so much energy from '06 and the likes that I just shake my head looking at the multple holes in ribs when they are finally down. These are the exception not the rule.
So like I said - Just be careful of your shot. Yes that 95 BT is a fantastic bullet in the 243/6mm. Lots of deer prove that.

Great post. Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm old enough that I recall my training from an earlier era--mass and velocity (not one alone) are your friends in shooting big game. The tougher the game, the more you want to insure terminal integrity; and that normally means increased initial mass. Just my take. Will a smaller bullet work? Obviously. Is it preferable? Conditions are not always ideal. I still like the insurance of increased mass. If I can add velocity to that mass, so much the better.

My first Deed and first Elk were taken with a 100gr Remington Core-lokt fired from my Remington 700 ADL 243 Winchester. It was a small 4x4 bull maybe 2 years old. Shot was 125-150yds away and I was able to hit in the perfect location. Took out the lungs and heart. He bucked up and took a few wobbly steps and then tipped over and slid down the hill. My neighbor had his 7mm Rem Mag at the ready if the 243 failed to put it down.
He was shocked to say the least as he told me that the 243 Win wasn't enough gun. He wanted me to shoot his rifle but it was quite a bit heavier than my 243 and had a Monte Carlo stock that made shooting it left handed a painful proposition.

I have since moved on to larger calibers for chasing Elk but if the 243 was all I had I would make due with it.

No doubt great recovery. Just goes to show you that they beefed them up. A lot of performance from a little pill.

Back