Recovered Hornady 87 gr HPBT

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
First time posting so hopefully this works. Recovered under the hide from I'd guess a 2.5 yr old 8pt from this past yr. Estimated MV 2850. Estimated impact of around 2750. Meat saver shot mid height behind the shoulder.

Bullet measured .410 on the frontal area, about .520 down around the base where the copper flared out. Retained weight was 47 gr or 52%.

Immediate knock down and struggled to get up on the front end for less than 5 seconds, after that lights out. At that lower velocity there was zero bloodshot to speak of. No ribs busted and cutting 2" around the entrance and exit was all that was needed. From on shot performance to freezer was near perfect in my opinion.

Gun used was a Remington Model 7 with 18" barrel. Although you have to deal with some muzzle jump, the little bugger shoots. 4 shot group at 100 yds with 38 grains of IMR 4064 measured .690. 43 grains of IMR 4350 will produce groups nearly identical if I do my part.

Welcome aboard. Looks to be fine performance from that bullet. (y) I will note that you missed the dime every time, however. :mrgreen:

Were you shooting a .243 Win or a 6mm Rem?

Dr Mike you are an astute observer. That darn dime is a source of constant frustration. :mrgreen: It's a 6mm that I bought barely used in 93.

Got a whole stash of bullets to try out from a friend who's father had passed on and was heavy into reloading. 85 thru 100 grain in hornady, nosler, sierra, and speer. From hp to interlock to partitions and ballistic tips.Even got some of the old Nosler solid base in both 85 and 100 gr. Also got a bunch of the same type of variety in .308 caliber that I load up for a model 70 in 30-06. Used to reload years ago and all these bullets and powder I got given to me has gotten me back into it. Have surfed around on this site as a guest for several months and thoroughly enjoy the stories and collective knowledge on this site.

The 6mm Rem is an excellent cartridge. If I was in the market for a new rifle, that particular cartridge just might be near the top of my search criteria. Those that I've shot were delightful from the bench, to be sure.

Congrats! Mild load, with excellent results.

The 6mm Rem is an old friend of mine.

Regards, Guy

DrMike":1ju00hqk said:
The 6mm Rem is an excellent cartridge. If I was in the market for a new rifle, that particular cartridge just might be near the top of my search criteria. Those that I've shot were delightful from the bench, to be sure.

I had one in a 788 that was a real shooter that I sadly got rid of after this one was acquired. Didn't need 2. With all these bullets to try out I wish I had it now if for nothing else just to add to the fun. :grin:

Guy Miner":1ju00hqk said:
Congrats! Mild load, with excellent results.

The 6mm Rem is an old friend of mine.

Regards, Guy

Thanks, the 18 inch barrel on this gun works out well for getting a good group while keeping the velocity down on the lighter bullets used for deer. 99% of the deer I shoot are under 100 yds and I don't like to over stress a light bullet on one in close which happens quite often. A muzzle velocity somewhere south of 2900 seems to work out well for the lighter stuff at the ranges I shoot.

Welcome to the forum.
Impressive performance, great catch.

JD338

Back