Comparison of sectioned bullets.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Did these a while back and thought I'd put them on here.

From left to right.

1. Sierra GameKing 85gr HPBT

2. Hornady 87gr HPBT

3. Sierra GameKing 100gr Spitzer Boat Tail

4. Hornady 100gr Interlock Flat Base

5. Nosler 95gr Ballistic Tip

When I study these bullets closely looking straight down on them, the 87gr Hornady is noticeably heavier on the exposed front as well as a much smaller HP opening than the Sierra 85gr. The Sierra appears to be to be the same thickness back through the shank portion (although a .001 or so difference would be hard to decipher with a naked eye) but then is slightly heavier in the heel. 2 different methods of controlling expansion but both seem to work reliably well on whitetail.

The Sierra 100gr GameKing is a thin walled bullet all the way back with not a lot of heel area and no real means of controlling expansion. This seems to coincide with guys I know that use this bullet and like it very well on whitetail for behind the shoulder shots, but warn of keeping it away from the shoulder unless you want a mess.

The Hornady 100gr Interlock appears to be ever so slightly, and I do mean slightly thicker than the Sierra back through the shank area. That along with the Interlock feature makes this bullet a dependable performer. Nothing dramatic but will readily expand along with dependable and adequate penetration on all but possibly the most severe angling shots.

The Nosler 95gr BT is clearly the stoutest bullet of the bunch. With a progressively thickening jacket this bullet has a noticeably thicker jacket in the rear 1/3 portion of the shank and is at least 3 times thicker if not more in the heel.

Personally I wish Nosler offered this bullet with a non tipped option to control the violent initial expansion at the close quarters I usually shoot deer at. It's already thin up front, just letting the HP do it's job would be about perfect for me.

None of this takes into account the somewhat varying alloy compositions that I'm sure would occur between different bullet makers making some bullets slightly harder or softer. But all else being equal gives an idea of expected differences.

Don't know why the picture is turned the other way. It's not turned that way until I posted it on here.

Fascinating comparison of some well established and recognized bullets. I do like the Nosler design; nevertheless, the others all work well without question.

Mike, I would trust any one of these bullets to hold up and perform well based on my own experiences as well as friends on some bullets I haven't tried yet, including the more frangible one's with a well placed shot at reasonable velocities.

My version of reasonable is likely different than others but I don't like to stress a bullet, especially a more frangible one. I'm as likely to have a deer pop out at 20 yds as I am to catch one sneaking through an opening at 125.

What's ya'lls opinion on the 85gr sierra hpbt? I'm getting crazy accuracy out of my savage axis with it and I didn't even do any load workups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mccraggen":34wrubma said:
What's ya'lls opinion on the 85gr sierra hpbt? I'm getting crazy accuracy out of my savage axis with it and I didn't even do any load workups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First post! Welcome to the Nosler Forum! (y)

Years ago I used the 85 gr Sierra HPBT from a 6mm Rem as a varmint & coyote bullet. It was not nearly as "explosive" as the 75 grain hollow point bullets had been, and YES, it was very accurate.

Never got around to using it on deer or pronghorn. Based on what I saw on varmints, I suspect it would do just fine on deer sized game. Normally for deer sized game with the 6mm, we've been using the superb 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Excellent accuracy, and oh my goodness, it works GREAT on mule deer & whitetail.

Regards, Guy

Shade Tree - THANKS for going to the trouble of sectioning and photographing those different bullets.

You're shooting deer from 20 - 125 yards mostly? Do you think the good old Nosler Partition, in 95 or 100 grains would work for you?

My son and I favor the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, but I think the closest deer he took with it was about 70 yards. Bullet did a mighty fine job. We've also used it out at 300 yards, where it again excelled. Normally we don't get real close shots at deer, not often anyway.

Regards, Guy

mccraggen":3tf7fzf0 said:

Used them on deer at 280, 350 and 410 yards. They performed better than the 95 BT for me. All deer ran less than 20 yards with lung shots. Can't say that for the 95 BTs.

Guy Miner":1tv4al8k said:
Shade Tree - THANKS for going to the trouble of sectioning and photographing those different bullets.

You're shooting deer from 20 - 125 yards mostly? Do you think the good old Nosler Partition, in 95 or 100 grains would work for you?

My son and I favor the 95 grain Ballistic Tip, but I think the closest deer he took with it was about 70 yards. Bullet did a mighty fine job. We've also used it out at 300 yards, where it again excelled. Normally we don't get real close shots at deer, not often anyway.

Regards, Guy

Yep for sure the partitions are hard to beat as an all around bullet. There's just about no way to overstress that bullet at any angle or close range when you're talking about 243 and 6mm energy levels. Plus they got quick expansion on the front end. I got some in both 85 and 100 grain. But I got all kinds of different bullets and like to experiment. :mrgreen:

I like the more frangible designs for when I'm stand hunting and can typically pick a behind the shoulder shot. It's interesting to me to load up a bullet and see how it performs. When I'm sneak hunting and might have to take a quick snap shot at tough angles it's either gonna be a Partition or a heavy reliable cup and core. I've had real good luck with the 100 gr core lokt at close ranges and asking a lot out of it in regards to angling shoulder shots and getting through thick brush and finding its mark. They can be rather ho-hum though on a behind the shoulder shot and not breaking any ribs. Even at close range. But nothing that an old fashioned blood trailing session can't result with a dead deer laying. Usually within 100 yds.

Back