100 gr. Sierra Game King

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
We recovered this bullet just under hide of a large buck shot at about 75 yards. The bullet entered just behind the left front shoulder, hit a rib, passed through the heart (which literally exploded), hit a rib on the right side, passed through the muscle of the right leg, and stopped under the hide.

The bullet was from a Federal factory load shot from a Savage Axis chambered in .243 Win.

DSCN1008.JPG

DSCN1009.JPG

DSCN1010.JPG

DSCN1011.JPG

I was pretty impressed. Dan

That performed very well. Can't ask much more than that especially for a cup and core bullet.

Excellent performance. I like Sierra Game Kings; they have served me well in the past, just as they did for you in this instance.

Surprised actually. Most of the ones I have used have come apart. Nice work

:mrgreen: FOTIS
Surprised actually. Most of the ones I have used have come apart.

Might this be your use of them at warp speed. :shock:

Nice. (y)

That bullet looks a lot like the 7mm, 160 grain Gameking recovered from my mule deer buck this year.

Guy

Yep that is typical of a Sierra game bullet if you don't drive them too hard. I have used many in different calibers and they are about like a Nosler Ballistic Tip. Your impact velocity needs to be 3000 fps or under or they will really come apart. But when the impact velocity is 2800 fps and under they really do their thing. I used that same bullet handloaded for a while when I was using 243's on deer. No complaints here. I did crop damage control on a BIG farm in east NC for 15 years and shot a whole lot of deer and got to experiment with different calibers and bullets.

Tjay":ml4dw9k0 said:
:mrgreen: FOTIS
Surprised actually. Most of the ones I have used have come apart.

Might this be your use of them at warp speed. :shock:

2900 to 3000 fps from a 243.

I would never use them in my 240 Bees

Also 165 and 180 in 30-06 speeds

My buddy tried to use this bullet in his 240 Bee and inside 200 yards it blew up just about when it hit the hair. He went to the 100 gr Nosler Partition. He did not keep this rifle long, heck he never keeps any rifle long. LOL He gets them shooting and hunts some with it then gets itchy for something else and trades it off or sales it and gets something else and starts the process all over again. I have gotten some pretty good rifles and deals from his condition. LOL

Back