115g. Balistic Tip

bbearhntr

Handloader
Apr 10, 2011
115g Nosler Balistic Tip fired from a .257 Weatherby Mag at 20 yds. Weatherby factory loaded ammo with a claimed muzzle velocity of 3400 fps. Penetrated 4 jugs. The 115g 25 cal bullet weighed 51.2g and measured .599". It retained 44% of its original weight.

Attachments

• IMG00145-20110627-1117.jpg
    621.1 KB · Views: 6,458
  • IMG00146-20110627-1118.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 6,453
  • IMG00144-20110627-1117.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 6,453
Man that is another tough bullet. Looks really good for being completely tortured at Wby speeds! Scotty

I tried this test with the hundred grain ballistic tip and found that the jacket held together pretty well however the core separated much the 115 that you tested. Do you find that the core separates when shot through animals?

Several prairie sprinters have succumbed to those!

I think they are a tough BT. Haven't heard of many folks being unhappy with them. I know I would use them without fear for deer and probably black bear out of a 25-06. Scotty

79inpa":3f7gq4ud said:
I tried this test with the hundred grain ballistic tip and found that the jacket held together pretty well however the core separated much the 115 that you tested. Do you find that the core separates when shot through animals?
I shot a whitetail with this bullet at 40 yards while it was facing me and I found lead from brisket to hams. The deer didn't go but another 40 yds but it was a mess inside. I shot another deer perfectly broadside at that same range and the bullet performed flawlessly. I think I will use a Partition when hunting inside of 200 yds in the future, at least out of my .257 Weatherby.

This is a great bullet for deer-size game. I have a Tang-safety Ruger 25-06 that just loves the 115gr NBT and IMR7828ssc. I remember the first animal I took with this bullet, a decent black bear (200lbs or so) at approx 150yds, and even with a hit a little further back than I wanted, the bear just rolled around for a few seconds and quickly expired. The 115gr NBT went straight through the bear, leaving a nice exit wound with lung and guts hanging out. My first impression of the 25-06 and the Ballistic Tip was positively shocking.

I just ordered 500 of these. SPS has one heck of a sale on with the 115 Ballistic Tip right now. Roughly half price.

Guy Miner":v79qe7d6 said:
I just ordered 500 of these. SPS has one heck of a sale on with the 115 Ballistic Tip right now. Roughly half price.

I believe you bought them out!

I scored on the 110gr ABs a few weeks ago. Too bad they didn't come off the presses simultaneously. I'd be even poorer.

CatskillCrawler":ltorxm2x said:
Guy Miner":ltorxm2x said:

I scored on the 110gr ABs a few weeks ago. Too bad they didn't come off the presses simultaneously. I'd be even poorer.

I know that place loves me and I hate it so much!!! I snagged some 110AB and a bunch of their 55gr BT. Now if only I saw some 25 85BT some 6 70BT some 6 90AB some 7 150ET 140 and 160AB and 175PT I think I may be set for a while!!

CatskillCrawler":hz43573q said:
Guy Miner":hz43573q said:

I need to make two new friends!!! :grin: I missed out on both of those sales I had other irons in the fire :cry: I went to the store the other day and they wanted $40 a box for 110g Accubonds! Man am I kicking myself!!!!! :evil: :evil:

At this point I'm torn between carrying the 115 B-Tips or the 115 Partitions in my .25-06 while hunting in Wyoming this fall. Will be hunting for pronghorn and mule deer. Both bullets shoot well. Heck, I might use the Partition on the mule deer and the B-Tip on the pronghorn - they shoot to virtually the same point of impact at 300 yards...

Guy, I have used both in the .25-06, plus the 120 Partition. I killed several deer (3-4) with each bullet and the Partitions defonately made me feel strongly that they are the better bullet at least for deer. I also had to shoot a antelope in the center of the chest, facing me, with a Partition and it went through 3-1/2 feet of antelope and was fully expanded under the skin through the right hip bone.

Ballistic Tips are tougher bullets now and are fine for side angle shots on the average deer but I do not blieve that they will do the job that Partition did for me. I also had a couple of muledeer that I shot with the 115 gr BT's that did not die very fast, even though hit with a high lung shot broadside but at 300+ yards. The Partitions just seemed to perform better for me.

In fact, I just bought a couple of boxes of Nosler 110 BT's in factory ammo to try out in my .257 Roberts. Just curious to see how they shoot since they are a new bullet.

Mule deer at 260 yds for a pass-through & instant drop. Lungs, a little far back.

Pronghorn at 160 yds passed through with an instant kill.

Coyote at 420 yds passed through and instant drop. He did twirl his tail a time or two.

Am very satisfied with the on-game performance.

Back