100 Gr BT VS 12 Ga slug.......

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
thought I'd better move this here:

So, I was rummaging around in the garage tonight abd found this 1/8 inch think piece of plate. The hole in the piece is from a 100 Gr BT out of my 250-3000 Savage. The other three shots were taken with Federal Premium Barnes Expander 12 ga slugs. If you look at the left side of the pic you can see that the steel was bent significantly by a couple of the shots (marked with a green sharpie). The Remington slug is there for comparison. However they were ineffective compared to the BT! The rust is from riding around in the trunk so I could "prove" my little 250 was more effective than a 12 ga slug. All shots were taken at 50 yards. MV on the 1 oz slug was @1400 fps. MV from my 250 is @ 2800 fps.

SLUGVSBT.jpg

If I find some armor plated pronghorn I am good to go..... CL

CL,
Interesting test.
Man, I really like those blue tipped bullets. :wink:

JD338

Panzer Pronghorns, look out! :grin:

That really is pretty neat - velocity penetrates steel pretty doggone well.

Guy, you got some of those blue tipped buggers loaded up for the 25-06? Guess I should ask if you got your tag yet? Dont even know what the draw date is....Hope you got one. CL

CL, I've got some 115 gr Blue Tips loaded for the .25-06, not sure that I'm done w/load development yet. They're doing good, but I think there's room for improvement.

The draw is next month I believe. Have my fingers crossed!

Back