110 gr AB @ 3500 fps

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
Was out a couple of wks ago w/ Jim D and shot this 110 gr NAB into dry plone books at close range. I'd just chrono'd the load @ 3512 fps & the 'graph was about the same distance from the muzzle as the books.

It penetrated through the 4th book, breaking the cover of the 5th. The wound channel, particularly in the first two, was impressive. Retained weight was just under 59 gr or approx 54%.

52b22a6a.jpg

That's a tough test! Those AB's sure are seeming to hold together well and penetrate nicely! I'm assuming by your speeds that it was from a fire-breathing 257 Weatherby or something similar!
David

That thing is tough. I don't think you can tear one of those apart. I tried with the 6mm. 257 bee?

Yup, I was there. :grin:

It was a very impressive performance.
What Eric didn't mention was that it was several minutes after he shot that we uncovered the bullet.
I won't mention any names, but someone burned his fingers when he picked up the bullet. :mrgreen:

JD338

Yeah, you'd want to keep the information secure, Jim. Impressive performance of a quality product.

Yeah you know Jim found out the hard way how friction causes heat :oops: . I kept tellin him to wait, but you know kids these days :roll: !

Yeah that was from my Roy. No fingertip blisters, but a nice red mark on my forehead from the "DOE!!" slap :) .

This was a great eye opener for me. That Roy is something else... I can see why the quarterbore was his favorite of all of em!

My 257 bee spat those out at 3550 fps. Make really quick work out of antelope and mule deer last year.

Someone in Montana owns her now.

Man, that bullet is another tough one! That is pretty torturous for sure.

nvbroncrider":1jo6arcx said:
Just imagine if he would of made a 6.5 Bee. It would have trumped them all!

Man, the 264WM will get it done. Same case capacity as the 7mm/270/257 WBY's.. The freebore may help a little, but the 264 gets those 264" bullets out there really fast. I haven't found any yet, but if I can get my hands on RL33 or VN570, I think it would come very close to 3300 with a 140.. That is trucking!

SJB358":1pyznln4 said:
nvbroncrider":1pyznln4 said:

Man, the 264WM will get it done. Same case capacity as the 7mm/270/257 WBY's.. The freebore may help a little, but the 264 gets those 264" bullets out there really fast. I haven't found any yet, but if I can get my hands on RL33 or VN570, I think it would come very close to 3300 with a 140.. That is trucking!

Scotty,

That would shoot flatter than road kill.

JD338

JD338":26sh3q9q said:
SJB358":26sh3q9q said:
nvbroncrider":26sh3q9q said:

Scotty,

That would shoot flatter than road kill.

JD338

Without a doubt Jim. It was pretty easy shooting the 140 BT's out to 600 yards at 3180. The 6.5's really have alot going for them on the long range. Not hard to see why the little Lapua's and 6.5x284's are so popular.

Back