110gr Accubond - 257Roberts

CatskillCrawler

Handloader
Jul 30, 2011
Distance to jugs was 25yds and MV = 2950fps. Bullet was found in 5th jug with expansion diameter = .491". I'm satisfied with this performance. I may get better trauma from the 115gr BT but I feel comfortable shooting any deer or Black bear with this bullet.

EDIT - retained weight was 71.5gr.

110grAB_A.jpg

225grPT_D.jpg

110grAB_E.jpg

110grAB_D.jpg

110grAB_B.jpg

I am looking forward to doing some load development on this caliber using Hybred 100V powder and the 110 AccuBond bullet. I ran some Nosler 110 factory loads through the chronograph of my long actioned FN with 24 inch barrel and I was getting 3060 fps with this bullet in these factory loads. I was mildly surprised that factory loads were this fast in the .257 Roberts which has been underloaded by most all of the factories since at least 1945!

They've finally accepted the real pressure limit for this cartridge now that there's enough modern actions chambered for it. You're so right, the older factory loads were anemic.

Awesome results CC. That 110 looks very good. Might need to try them outta the 25-06 when I get a chance.

How's that load shoot for you CC?

I'm using IMR-4350 and 3-shot groups are right at 1". Good enough for hunting but not as good as I'd like. This rifle will be my project this winter. As it was last winter... :x

Most of the .257 Robert's rifles that I have seen are shooters. I think that the Mauser case has a lot to do with this because of the optimal capacity and long neck of the case. It is a beautifully balanced case for the 6mm Rem, .257 Rob. and the 7x57 Mauser, considering that this case was designed in 1895.

I have my FN free floated and Pro bedded my .257 with a steel rear pillar, filed by had to length. I also have fashioned a front pillar from the setting Pro Bed and gotten it to fully support the front action screw. I have only run one handload through it (a 100 gr Partition) and have in no way optimzed the loads for this rifle. The single load shot at .875 inches. I do not expect this rifle to be a bug hole shooter and the intial groups that I am getting are fine for a hunting rifle but I will keep trying.

I also have been refashioning the stock cheek piece and buttstock to get the proportions better. I need to finish the stock work and refinish portions of the stock in the forend. Lots of work and I keep getting interupted by illness.

Again, classic performance from a classy bullet. Great expansion and penetration. This is the focus for load development in my own 257 Bob.

We should be thanking Nosler! Just looking through this section and I see this 110gr AB tested with MVs from 2700fps to 3500fps and they all look great. Even have a 300yd catch after being launched at 2800fps and expansion is excellent. I've yet to use this bullet on game but based upon my experiences with ABs in .277 and .308 calibers, I have no reason to believe that this bullet will fail.

I am thinking, that on deer it should be a stone killer. That is all that I want this rifle for is to use as a deer rifle. The 110 gr AccuBond at 3060 fps should do that job just fine. II think that I can get 3100 fps with Hybred !00V powder and the 110 AB. That will be a deer killing machine!

Oldtrader3":1td3vrt0 said:
I am thinking, that on deer it should be a stone killer. That is all that I want this rifle for is to use as a deer rifle. The 110 gr AccuBond at 3060 fps should do that job just fine. II think that I can get 3100 fps with Hybred !00V powder and the 110 AB. That will be a deer killing machine!

Without a doubt Charlie. Man, now I gotta see if I can acquire a few of them to try in the 25-06!

Notice how the A-bond mushrooms look much alike, even in different calibers?

This looks remarkably similar to other Accubonds tested. Should be a fine bullet on game!

If I didn't have almost a thousand 115 gr Noslers in Partition & Ballistic Tip, I'd buy some!

Back