.25 caliber bullet test

chrome

Beginner
Jun 14, 2006
I've only got a few bullets on hand so I thought I would run some expansion test before ordering any new bullets.

Water jugs may not be the best test median but they are cheap.

I set them up at 50 yards. I loaded the rounds to around 2,200 fps. out of a Savage 99 chambered in the 250-3000. So impact velocity was around 2,000 fps

I figured this would be roughly equivalent to a 250-275 yard shot.

I understand that the bullet RPMs is lacking, which will effect bullet performance.

I was mainly concerned with comparing different types of bullets and not how it expanded in water.

Several bullet yawed out of the jugs. Probably meening they bent like a bannana rather than expanding in a straightline bullet path. This is a theory not a fact.....

I know one bullet tested in milk jugs proves nothing, but since I only shoot deer with one bullet it does help me with my bullet decision.

I pulled the tips from several 80 grain Barnes TTSX in hopes that the shorter length will enable them to stabilize in the slow twist barrel of the Savage.

The Sierra Gameking seams to explode even at the low velocity.
I've killed a few deer with them, never had an exit but the deer died.

When skinning the deer I never found a intact bullet, rather slivers comparable to the test bullet.

0ead52f2-0fde-4ac8-9248-1c1f10a4973a_zps124ea78f.jpg

Never shot a deer with the Remington SP. Sectioning this bullet shows a straight jacket with hardly no tappering. No internal jacket flutes to insure expansion.

Maybe its designed for the 25-06? Hard to believe the Sierra explodes and the SP doesnt expand.
You have to figure fluid hydraulics plays a part with the hollow point.

061e29b9-92e3-46c4-8810-2dccb1a9c72c_zpsbda5cac4.jpg

Odd that the Remington did not expand but the Hornady blows out its core...

ba37edeb-b61d-4e26-babb-36882f8db71a_zpsd2fd5141.jpg

The Barnes has a nice open tip after the plastic tip is removed. No problem opening at 2,000 fps.

DSC05603_zps3530d299.jpg

fcce31e7-477a-4085-a182-2425937cb4b2_zps3a04e862.jpg

DSC05615_zpsf075bbc5.jpg

The traditional 117 Rem Core-Lokt seems to open easy, If I can get it to shoot in the slow twist it should work great at 2,600 fps.
Impact speed was around 2,000 fps as with the other bullets.

a922e587-f7ee-4797-a8c0-1963f51cab43_zps8e21b01c.jpg

DSC05612_zps1fa50d6d.jpg

The 117 grain Core-Lokt when section had some nice fluted cuts in the jacket and had a heavy jacket base like the ol fashioned Core-Lokt's.

That 117 CL is a pretty cool looking bullet. Looks like it would be a good one for up close hunting, in any of the 25's..

Great test, pretty interesting stuff.

What about a 100 grain PT? Wonder how that'd do?

I've shot a boat load of deer with the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Its probably my favorite .25 cal bullet.

None of Nosler's bullets will work in the 1-14" twist of my Model 99, so I didn't bother testing them.

Most interesting results. I'm especially surprised at the performance of the Remington SP.

Me too.

The lower RPM due to loading them down in velocity I guess ?

The old Core-Lokt didn't seem to mind....

Great test, I would imagine the regular 100 gr Speer Hot Cor would also be a great choice at those speeds and be short enough hopefully to stabilize. Of the bullets you tested the 117 gr RN's look really good.

Nice work!
The Remington 117 gr SPCL is a favorite of mine in the 257 Roberts.

JD338

Recently I shot two foxes with my .25-06 using the Nosler 110gn AB bullet. Unfortunately, no photo's but a mention of the wound damage to both. The ranges were not great at around 80yds each, but there was no exit wound on either animal.

The entry & I assume also the exit wounds were massive at around 4" rough dia. Looked to me as though the bullets had entered, struck bone and turned exiting almost directly where the bullet had entered, so causing quite huge internal and external damage.

Has anyone else experienced similar? ATB ET :?

That sounds really interesting ET? Man, I have not heard of that happening.

Yeah, that's a little weird. People are blowing those 110 AB's through 250 pound mule deer...

I don't know if this will help you since I'm shooting a 257 Roberts that also has a slow 1-12 twist but the 90gr HP Sierras I've always used on varmints because of how the explode and don't have to worry where they might end up. The 100gr Hornaday SP Inner Lock is the most accurate in my rifle putting 5 in 3/8" at 100 and the 115gr Hornaday round nose will shoot into 1/2" for 5 shots. I've dropped a lot of deer DRT with both Hornadays. As a matter of fact if I'm hunting heavy brush I use the little Roberts because I know it will shoot threw a small hole and kill game. I had to shoot one deer threw the nose because he was hiding behind a big poplar tree and all I could see was his head as he was looking straight at me at about 150yds. The little bullet penetrated his brain. I'd took the shot with my 30-06 but I wouldn't have aimed at the nose. The angle was just right to clean his sinuses. :lol:
Your test was very interesting I wouldn't have believed the Remington Sp didn't expand.

I am also shooting the .257 Roberts but at about 3150 with the 110 AccuBond. I have not seen them expand that radically maybe the .25-06 is pushing them a little too fast, ET?

Unsure with the speed issue OT3, I have them (110gn AB) running at around 3120fps MV average, (poss 2900fps downrange at quarry strike). Still I was surprised. I don't have a phone with a camera, but if it happens again I'll try and make sure I get pics.

Last season I took a red hind & calf with no issues in respect of wound really. The bullet on both (110gn AB) just punch right through at similar range. One just touched a rib on the hind, but the calf penetrated via skin between the ribs & I dont think touched any bone. Anyway, there was no 'big wound' problem.

As a note, I haven't ever had this happen with the Sierra PH 1620 100gn bullet (Avg. MV 3300fps). Although when using that bullet/load out on open hill I have seen the bullet go right through and a cloud of 'superheated blood vapour' as the beast was hit through the engine room.
Not every time, but often.
At first years ago I thought the 'cloud' was hot air from a lung hit. Then I started seeing tiny weeny blood droplets over quite a large area on the ground...gets all over your clothes when gralloching the beast.

Importantly though, no massive external wound area, just good internal wound channels. A typical carcass pic is attached.

Attachments

• Loch Choire 214c.jpg
    Loch Choire 214c.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,487
Expansion looks as I would expect, Elmer, certainly at that velocity with that bullet. If you want more damage, I would suggest using the 100 Partition or even the 100 Ballistic tip. However your results look just like mine with several mule deer that I shot at 100-150 yards with the 100 gr Partition in my .25-06 or .257 Roberts at 3100 fps

Elmer 3 years ago I hit a mule deer buck at 35 yards or so with a 110 AB.

I hit him from a 257 Bee with a impact velocity of 3500 fps!!!!

In and out and soup in between.

Back