120 Swift A-Frame 25-06 3140FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
This load is a sleeper. RL22 and this bullet work together for about 3140FPS and the accuracy was excellent all day long! Got the load zeroed up at 200 yards for my wife and decided to see what the little A-Frame would do in the jugs. To say I was impressed is a big understatement. This bullet was found in the bottom of the 7th jug.. Yeah, that is correct, 7 jugs. Granted it was just a hole through the last two, about caliber size, but 7 jugs is really impressive stuff.

This bullet retained 107.4 grains and expanded to .478". If you were using the 25-06 on something that needed to penetrate, and you weren't shooting super long ranges, this bullet is a get it done recommendation. Again, it took very little work to get a great load shooting excellent. Had a few groups at 200 yards hovering right around 1" which is about all I could ever ask for in a hunting bullet shot out of a regular hunting rifle.

The A-Frame has performed well for me on a variety of game here in British Columbia. That sort of penetration is what I would expect, but it is very comforting to see it at work.

JD338":f810yd7n said:
Scotty

Impressive results buddy.

JD338

I would have to look back at my notes, but very few bullets are found in the 7th jug for me, 250 PT's outta the 338, and the 300 PT outta the 45-70 are the only two I can think of. The 200 Pt outta the 300 Win Mag did 6, but man, talk about surprised when Brandon and I started counting jugs.

The Swifts do live up to their reps, and their costs as well.

You get what you pay for. If you need penetration, undoubtedly the A-Frame will deliver.

SJB358":3w2ymavo said:
JD338":3w2ymavo said:
Scotty

Impressive results buddy.

JD338

I would have to look back at my notes, but very few bullets are found in the 7th jug for me, 250 PT's outta the 338, and the 300 PT outta the 45-70 are the only two I can think of. The 200 Pt outta the 300 Win Mag did 6, but man, talk about surprised when Brandon and I started counting jugs.

The Swifts do live up to their reps, and their costs as well.

I concur Scotty.

JD338

FOTIS":8nncrj0w said:
A frames are a fine bonded bullet.

Yeah, while their BC's aren't screaming high, they look to be excellent bullets for heavy game. I might try them in something else soon. I always heard they were picky, but I couldn't tell any difference from these and any PT or BT I have loaded. Came together fairly quick, and accuracy was hunting good pretty quick.

Mike certainly tout's them as well, so I put alot of stock in what he thinks of them.

Fotis, have you ever shot anything with one? Or any of you all?

Moose, elk, black bear have all been taken with A-Frames from various cartridges. I have never recovered one of these bullets from downed game; they always penetrated completely.

DrMike":rp56nlbn said:
Moose, elk, black bear have all been taken with A-Frames from various cartridges. I have never recovered one of these bullets from downed game; they always penetrated completely.

I can see that! :grin:

Might have to try them in something else, just to see how they compare to some of my Nosler favorites.

I don't share my A-Frames with anyone else; they are reserved for jobs that require deep penetration. I cannot say that they kill game any deader than a good Partition, but there are times that I am comforted by the thought that they will penetrate.

The sirocco 2 is a good one also, if your rifle will shoot them. The first edition was very finicky.

FOTIS":3qiy8hgu said:
The sirocco 2 is a good one also, if your rifle will shoot them. The first edition was very finicky.

Yeah, their 210 Scirocco has been in my sights awhile. Kinda getting bored monkeying with the 338, might need to branch out into something else for awhile. Don't wanna wear that barrel out on the 338 testing another new bullet!

Scotty, that is impressive performance, and I really like your report of 1" groups at 200 yards!

The 100 gr Barnes TSX @ 3340 fps also made it into the 7th jug, but you're right, most expanding bullets don't dig that deep. Pretty impressive!

Thanks for posting up your test!

Guy

For comparison I looked up some of my tests that showed bullets with deep penetration:

.257" 100 gr Barnes TSX = 7th jug
.308" 200 gr AccuBond = 6th jug
.30-30 170 gr Rem = 6th jug
.30-06 220 gr Partition = 7th jug
.375 260 gr AccuBond = 7th jug
.458" 405 gr Rem = 8th jug
.458" 350 gr Swift = 8th jug

Guy

Good data there, thanks for sharing.
I think bullets that make it into 4-5 jugs are deer bullets, 6-7 jugs for elk and moose, and 8 jugs for anything.

JD338

JD338":1gtawjvs said:
Guy

I think bullets that make it into 4-5 jugs are deer bullets, 6-7 jugs for elk and moose, and 8 jugs for anything.

JD338

You are spot on in your assessment of penetration data for the various bullets.

A-frames are great bullets! Even in 25-06's and .270 Winchesters, they make them kill like a bigger bore. However, I have always had good luck with 120 gr Partitions as well.

Guy Miner":1pqtsohf said:
Scotty, that is impressive performance, and I really like your report of 1" groups at 200 yards!

The 100 gr Barnes TSX @ 3340 fps also made it into the 7th jug, but you're right, most expanding bullets don't dig that deep. Pretty impressive!

Thanks for posting up your test!

Guy

No worries Guy. I am very impressed with the 120 A-Frame, accurate and seems to be a bullet that acts bigger than it is. Again, I am glad you backed me up, I was afraid someone would call me a BS'er with reporting 7 jugs, but I counted and recounted the jugs left, and I still came up with 7. That is crushing penetration, along with great expansion that destroyed the first 3 jugs. Plus, that bullet starting out around 3140 seems to hold up really well, energy wise out to 350 or so.

Hoping Lori gets to hammer a bear or two with the load to report real world results in a few weeks.

JD338":3e0fci35 said:
Guy

JD338

You know, it's funny Jim, but the 160 AB outta my 7mm WSM at 3100 will only lay into the 5th jug. I think Brian's 300 RUM with a 200 AB will lay in bottom of the 5th as well. Same for the 264 Win Mag with a 140 AB.

I am not sure I wouldn't hunt elk or moose with them, as I bet they would get pretty deep in real live tissue, but with the way an AB loses about 40-50% up front, they get pretty torn up on the close tests. While the PT's and I guess the Swifts lose alot of their frontal diameter and seem to drive a jug or two deeper most of the time. Still, all in all, they are some awesome bullets we have today.

Your breakdown is a good idea for a person picking a bullet though. Matter of fact, it is real good, for a hack like myself using milk jugs to see what the bullets do. 8)

Back