257 Wby-110 Accu Bond recovered from Red Sheep

wbyfan1

Beginner
Apr 9, 2012
Here is a recovered 110 AB recovered from a large Iranian Red Sheep. I shot it in the Shoulder at 80 yards with my 257 Weatherby. Starting velocity was 3450. Bullet was recovered underneath the hide on the offside. Weighed 54 grains or 49% of it's original weight.

WOW! Awesome recovery. Bullet looks great and that is near full on speed when it struck! Great deal. Thank you for posting that. Can't ask for anymore than that.

A little less mass recovered than I might have expected. However, the bulled performed well given the conditions. Integrity was maintained and it got the job done. In all, it is a confidence builder for anyone looking for a bullet to perform under tough conditions.

I have never recovered one from my 257 Bee. Even at 30 yard shots on muleys.

FOTIS":2b5wz3gn said:
I have never recovered one from my 257 Bee. Even at 30 yard shots on muleys.

I WAS a bit surprised I didn't achieve full penetration. We didn't do an autopsy per se, but I suspect the bullet encountered quite a bit of bone. All I know is, he hit the ground right where he stood. The guide was quite impressed. I know it's a skosh subjective, but he said a hunter last year shot a sheep of equivalent size with a 30-06, from about the same range and also in the shoulder. Said the sheep ran about 50 yards before it piled up.

I've been a big proponent of the 115 BST in my Bee and have used it almost exclusively, but decided for this hunt I wanted something a little tougher. Not sure how the 115 would've held up in this instance, but I suspect the end result would've been similar.

Good enough for me brother. Mine met up with 2 shoulders from a mulie buck at 30-40 yards. Impact was 3500 fps. Full exit.

How big are red sheep? What would yours have weighed it at Wby?

Well done on you exotic hunt by the way. I am jealous!

bobnob":22r8m8ro said:
How big are red sheep? What would yours have weighed it at Wby?

Well done on you exotic hunt by the way. I am jealous!

Bob. Thanks. Guide estimated it at 150-160 pounds.

Back