Mauser 98 action
Shilen 22" barrel in .25-06 1:10 twist

The load:
RP brass
Federal GM215M primer
52.3gr H4831SC
115gr Berger VLD Hunting, seated 0.005 from lands
2950fps according to my Oehler 35P

This rifle had given me problems in the past, discovered it had excessive headspace. Had my gunsmith pull the barrel and rechamber, problem solved.

Started a bullet workup, but she just didn't want to shoot the 110AB, so I tried the Berger 115 and ladder tested at 500 yards, shot very good, settled on this load of 52.3gr H4831.

My 16yr old son Tyler shot this deer last Wednesday evening. 150yards quartering-away. We also bow hunt so we practice and discuss the angles - how to make sure to place the shot to maximize arrow or bullet time in the boiler room. He made an excellent shot, entrance was 2 ribs in front of the diaphragm on the right side. The bullet missed the heart but completely destroyed the lungs, and broke the offside shoulder on the way out. The bullet core exited, but I recovered the jacket balled-up in the hide. The deer ran about 30yards and piled up. No blood trail. The bullet performed great, if he had missed the shoulder blade, I think it would have been a clean exit and a blood trail.

Entrance

Exit

What's left of the jacket

Congrats! Looks like the young hunter did real well. NICE BUCK!

That's about the same appearance as the 115 Berger I recovered from a good size mule deer buck a few years ago.

Great buck; congratulations to your son. The Berger worked well for you, no doubt.

Congrats! Great shot on that deer! Looks like good bullet performance as well. Sounds like a real good load to me.

Thanks, fellas. The bullet performed as expected from various comments around the interweb.

The only thing that bothers me a little is the fact that there was no blood trail.

My daughter shot a buck last year from the same stand, same angle with a 6.5 Grendel and 120 NBT Hunting bullet. Complete pass through lung + shoulder, left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Deer piled up after 30yds completely empty.

Creedmore":1jpk0kc7 said:
My daughter shot a buck last year from the same stand, same angle with a 6.5 Grendel and 120 NBT Hunting bullet. Complete pass through lung + shoulder, left a blood trail that a blind man could follow. Deer piled up after 30yds completely empty.

Pretty hard to beat a Ballistic Tip. I think you get violent expansion and a solid base that still penetrates with some sorta shape. Unless you need ton's of BC, they seem really hard to beat for deer. Just my thoughts though. I know there are a ton of great Berger stories, but the heavier BT's sport good BC and seem more than capable.

Now that we have a sausage deer in the freezer, I have another 360 days to get that rifle working with a 110AB or I may look at the 115 Ballistic Tip.

The Berger did the job just fine, and it was a curiosity that I needed to see perform. But, I'm in the camp where I like my bullet to get in, wreak as much havoc as possible, get out, and leave a river for a blood trail. I'm not a shill for Nosler, honest. :grin:

Congrats to Tyler on his deer and making a great shot. That is a very nice looking buck.

Congrats Pard !
There may be hope for Tyler yet. :lol:

And you're right. Now we got 360 days to get a real barrel on that rifle and start over.
I mean who ever heard of a 25-06 carbine ?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Congrats to the young lad on a job well done. I think dad deserves a congrats also for working up a great load and teaching the young lad to hunt.

Larry

HTDUCK":1stflwtr said:
And you're right. Now we got 360 days to get a real barrel on that rifle and start over.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. :lol:

Creedmore":f23k0fsu said:
HTDUCK":f23k0fsu said:

Man, not too shabby for a 25-06 carbine... I am not sure I'd change a thing!

SJB358":3owfxih3 said:
Creedmore":3owfxih3 said:
HTDUCK":3owfxih3 said:

Man, not too shabby for a 25-06 carbine... I am not sure I'd change a thing!

Yeah and the rifle shoots really well Scotty.
But I bust his chops about it every chance I get.

Part of the joy of having me for a shooting/hunting/reloading partner. :wink:

Scotty, I've said it before on several forums . . .

You know that cartoon devil that sits on your shoulder and whispers in your ear - keeping the RADD all stirred up?

Well, my personal devil bears a striking resemblance to Howard. Just ask my wife. :oops: :lol:

-Gene

Yeah. I blame Howard too! He's the reason for all these rifles in the safe!

Yup, I'm convinced fellas, it's Howard we need to point the wives too! Ha!

Always glad to see a new diversionary tactic employed. Course, my lady is always curious how a fellow down in Texas manages to exert such influence. Some things just can't be explained. :grin:

Back