90 gr GMX vs hog skull 3350 fps

efw

Handloader
Jan 17, 2011
My son & I did some Texas hog hunting, and I was able to put em to excellent use (besides the great food!!) by running a 90 gr GMX through one length-wise. Velocity at muzzle was 3350 fps from my 257 AI, and it impacted the smallish (120 lbs?) pig's skull at approx 100 yds or likely 3000-ish. The effect was as one would imagine:

I found it in the ham with a retained weight of 40.4 gr or 45% which is pretty impressive given how tough pig skulls are!

Personally I'm happy as can be in spite of less than picturesque performance; it seems a tad softer than other mono metals.

I've been 3/3 on DRTs w/ this load (Pushed by Hunter) and couldn't be happier. I'd hesitated to utilize mono metals on deer-sized game in favor of softer bullets like NBT, but decided to give em a chance when MidwayUSA ran blems at a reasonable price.

They're sub-MOA before weight sorting so clearly this load is a keeper!

Eric,

Looks like you got some serious penetration and a freezer full of pork.
Good show.

JD338

The stress may have peeled away a few pedals, but it would appear that the GMX worked quite well for you. Great capture of the bullet, Eric. Ya gotta' love those recovered bullets. (y)

Very nice Eric. That bullet went through some torture. Great recovery.

How was the rest of the wound channel after the skull?

I butchered the thing myself but didn't get much look at wound channel since most was in noggin. I did see where it exited the back of the head and entered guts and there was a ton of blood inside chest cavity but the channel mostly dropped out w/ guts. I'd actually thought the bullet went with em; was suprised to find it!

Back