117g Hornady Interlock vs dry newsprint test

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
Guys I took my little 250 Savage AI out for some load tests today. When I was finished I decided to crack a few into 13 inches of stacked newspapers and magazines that I had at the range, in a cardboard box.

The launch speed of these Interlock 117g BTSP loads was 2900fps. I fired 3 shots into the stack from 15 yards. A pretty harsh test considering the dry paper and short range.

Well did not expect any of the bullets to fully penetrate the stack, considering it was dry and consisted of not only newspaper but also some glossy magazines and catalogues that were quite stout.

As it turned out, two of the projectiles penetrated the whole stack including the cardboard box, as well as fully penetrating the 15mm particle board backstop I had behind the stack. The one that did not fully penetrate stopped against the very last glossy magazine right at the back of the stack.

The three bullets recovered (the ones that went through the particle board were recovered against a further board a few feet behind the first one) measured in expanded diameter and retained weight as follows...

.544 inch 43g
.718 inch 70g
.463 inch 52g

The one that expanded the most, predictably was the one that did not fully penetrate, and retained a good bit of the core attached to the jacket. The bullet that weighed only 43g had the core separate.

The picture here is the 3 recovered bullets in the order described above...

C1A607A9-5A02-48E0-8545-D9AF6E2C056C_zpsfhvesqg4.jpg

The below shows the "wound channel" at 4 and 8 inches into the stack...

2B836A95-9784-4E6C-B133-9D37CD844971_zpsp9qx0ozx.jpg

The next image is the holes punched in the particle board backstop...

E9F4F50E-780E-468F-ADA0-68621953A2DA_zps2nchtdva.jpg

Thoughts: I reckon the performance was pretty impressive in the circumstances. This particular load is a consistent 0.75moa performer. Dry newspaper and glossy magazines are a harsh test medium. And while I know 15mm particle board is hardly an oaken bow, it is not to be sniffed at either.

I am going to do some load testing with the 110g AccuBond, which I am excited about. I will do a head to head test between the AB and the IL and post it here.

I have taken more big game with that bullet at 3100 fps than any other from my 25-06. Dry paper BTW is equivalent to hitting bone.

Certainly places some tough demands on a bullet. The expansion is quite impressive (likely due to the material itself), but the penetration is very comforting for anyone selecting this bullet for a hunt. Fascinating test.

Looks really decent Bob. I'd be okay with using that combo on anything I'd run a 250 Ackley after.. Great speed out of that bullet as well. Very nice. Great test.

Looks to be a shoulder buster load for deer sized game.

JD338

I meant to add that a few months ago I shot a feral mountain goat through both shoulders at about 80y with the same load. It was only about a 30kg goat, but they are tough to kill.

Anyway the goat died straight away. It was a pass through, with about a 0.75 inch exit wound. Both shoulder joints were broken and though only a small animal, I thought at that stage a firm indication the bullet is suited to deer and even a big pig, placement being adequate.

As above, I'm planning to load work up with the 110 NAB and will certainly do a comparison test with the Interlock. Might test the 80 TTSX too, as I've little experience with Barnes and this seems like a good application for it. 3400fps seems possible with the 25 inch barrel.

Really loving working with this rifle. It's the most accurate I've owned, a real sleeper!

6434A321-54A4-415C-B9DF-D862200D65D9_zpsabpmj0e5.jpg

It's a sweet little rifle. Pretty cool cartridge as well. I'd have some fun with a 250 Ackley.

I imagine that bullet did make that goat take notice! I'd consider it more than adequate for deer and pig.

I killed several mule deer with my .250 Savage, Model 70 out to 300 yards with 100 Partitions at 3000 fps. All of the deer died quickly and were one shot kills. I expect that my .257 Roberts with 110 AB's at 3150 fps would kill most deer expeditiously?

Yes they would OT3!

I did some more load testing this afternoon. The 117g Interlock and worked up to 39g of H4895. 2980fps and half inch group at 125y!

Top left was 37g, top right 38, bottom left 39g....

IMG_20150614_1715092_zpscuetyxb7.jpg

Figure I'll try 38.5g and if accuracy holds I'll call that good at about 2950fps.

I believe I should safely get 3000fps with the 110g AB.

Appears to be bringing the groups together quite nicely. I do believe you have a winner.

Dang Bob, it would be hard to mess around at all! That thing looks real good and again, your running right in that bullets sweet spot.

I was just thinking about it, but I remember we we got the 25-06 here. I can't remember any of the factory 117/120 loads breaking 3000... Kinda funny the 250 Ackley with about 10-15 grains less powder does it easily...

I can get 3150 in my .257 Roberts with 110 Accubonds but I am loading about 3 grains over max with freebore.

Yeah Scotty the speeds are something I'm keeping in mind with regard to safety. Quick load, current load data bases (such as they exist) and the traditional pressure signs are about all you have to go on with this cartridge. Bear in mind the rifle has a 25 inch barrel, near as much capacity as a 243 and a larger bore however and about 3000fps with a 110g bullet is quite likely safe.

In any case I am treading carefully.

Oldtrader3":11ctij9y said:
The 7mm Mauser case has more capacity than the .308 case?

OT3 I'm not sure what you are getting at but yes, I believe the 7mm does have a little more capacity.

bobnob":2d48cnkz said:
Yeah Scotty the speeds are something I'm keeping in mind with regard to safety. Quick load, current load data bases (such as they exist) and the traditional pressure signs are about all you have to go on with this cartridge. Bear in mind the rifle has a 25 inch barrel, near as much capacity as a 243 and a larger bore however and about 3000fps with a 110g bullet is quite likely safe.

In any case I am treading carefully.

I wouldn't think that would be too hard at all. That 25" barrel really lets it work that's for certain.

Bob, what I meant was that if you are considering buying a .257 caliber, the .257 Roberts is the most efficient and balanced case capacity for that bore size.

Ok yes hard to argue OT3.

Actually as this 250AI is built on a medium action I considered having it rechambered to 257 Rob AI. But as it shoots so well as it is and the speeds I am getting are all I need for the game and ranges I shoot, I thought I would leave well enough alone!

Back