Nosler RDF vs Bergers

35 Whelen

Handloader
Dec 22, 2011
Can anyone comment on the merits of these new 140gr. RDF bullets????
My gun shoots Berger VLD 140s wonderfully, so am wondering about these new "cruise missiles" from Nosler?
Any comments or ideas appreaciated.
I do NOT plan on using them for general hunting purposes
With the possible exception of coyotes.

I have been wondering how the RDF shoots. Whopping .658 BC as well, higher than the Bergers. Should be a great candidate for some long range flat shooting.

Since pretty much every other target bullet is being used on big game (Berger, Scenar, A-Max, ELD series etc) I wonder how the RDF and for that matter the Sierra TMK will be in that regard.

I am currently trying to work up a load with the RDF's and a 260. I haven't tried the Bergers yet so can't offer anything on them. I'll post when I can get a range day or two. I hope they do well, I picked up a bunch of them

Bill,
Keep us posted! Powder , primers etc.
Is your .260 an 8 twist barrel??

Yes, 23" shilen. I have H4350 loaded with fed primers. I have others powders but will start with that. When I find a load I'll try Winchester primers to check for difference.
They are long, where I may not be able to use them in my hunting rifle due to OL restrictions. I'm using my target rifle for these. Hopefully this week I'll get out.

gerry":2l12sms5 said:
Since pretty much every other target bullet is being used on big game (Berger, Scenar, A-Max, ELD series etc) I wonder how the RDF and for that matter the Sierra TMK will be in that regard.

Good question. I personally was NOT IMPRESSED when a friend used the 168 grain Sierra Matchking on game, 20 years ago, so I decided then and there to swap to an expanding 165 grain hunting bullet for the .308 Win & .30-06 cartridges. Interestingly, to me anyway, the 165 gr Ballistic Tip was just as accurate, and seriously lethal on game.

But I did find the Berger VLD to be very effective on mule deer.

Guy

I gave a box of the .308 175 gr RDF's to my buddy to load up in his 30-378 Wby. I know that I will be reporting on how they perform on crop damage deer this summer. Stay tuned.

JD338

Guy Miner":1lrt5cu5 said:
gerry":1lrt5cu5 said:

Good question. I personally was NOT IMPRESSED when a friend used the 168 grain Sierra Matchking on game, 20 years ago, so I decided then and there to swap to an expanding 165 grain hunting bullet for the .308 Win & .30-06 cartridges. Interestingly, to me anyway, the 165 gr Ballistic Tip was just as accurate, and seriously lethal on game.

But I did find the Berger VLD to be very effective on mule deer.

Guy

The Sierra match bullets seem to have a reputation for being erratic compared to the others from what I have read. Some of the others have a better reputation, time will tell how the RDF bullets work because you know someone is going to try them soon :) The Ballistic Tips are good of course but I'm still curious about some of the "target" bullets on game.

Gerry

I personally am against using any target bullet on game. My buddy has used the 308 175 gr SMK for deer hunting for many years taking well over 100 deer with it. It works well for him.

JD338

Well my T/C Venture would not shoot the 6mm RDFs but After getting ahold of C.S. they went ahead and allowed us
To return them and I am going to try the 140/6.5 RDF as they have good reports on them out of 8 twist Sako barrels.
I would have bought ALOT more of those Berger VLD 140s(blems) when Midway had them on sale; IF I had known then, :( how good they will shoot out of my Tikka T3....... So its forward with some RDFs: with fingers crossed. I actually will NOT be
Using either bullet, for actual hunting, with the exception of a coyote........
When I put the Sweede back into its factory camo stock, and are actually going to hunt with it for game under 400lbs it will have a clip full of 140gr Nosler BTs. Although
Even with that said; I probably would not hesitate to take a poke at either an Elk or a Moose; if it would hold still, so I could hit it where wanted too: and it was under 300yds.
And even though I would vastly prefer to lug the Whelen for Any game over 400lbs, I would feel ever confident with the little Sweede, and a good bullet. I used my old one on some very big Red Stags on New Zealands South Isle, and it folded them up like a cheap suit !!! (y)

Well did some interesting testing yesterday. I was given a big doe deer for the bait pile. So decided to test the 140VLDs on the shoulder. Deer was about half frozen and placed at 300 yds on its back , legs up.
I fired two shots from my Sweede. Both of them went right thru with very small exit holes !!!! :shock: Vel is 2800fps. So I am now pretty sure this is certainly NOT going to work for us, on a coyote.......if the VLDs go straight thru a partially frozen 150lb deer, they are certainly going to do that easier thru a 30lb coyote. I smell "run offs" here.
Back to the drawing board. :roll:

Got out today to test the RDF's. I am using H4350, Laupa brass and federal primers. My rifle is a 260 with a 23" Shilen 1-8 barrel. I read where others were getting good results .030 off the lands. I had to go to Bergers suggestion on finding your OL due to not finding anything quick. For me the best results so far were between .060-075 off. I am going back to run more tests within that range to confirm and fine tune hopefully. I also shot a few with H4831sc and R-17. H4831 looked like it wanted shoot just need to adjust OL when I'm done working with H4350. R-17 also showed some promise and I'll go back with that one too. You definetly have to play with OL with them to tighten them up. I went from 1 1/4 groups to under 1/2 " around the range listed above.
I'm not sure how they will be on coyotes. I'll see if I can find something to shoot next time I'm at the range to see if they pencil through.

Excellent stuff right there! Thanks a lot for posting that. Sound like your closing in on a heck of a good grouping.
I should be getting my RDFs shortly if everything goes smoothly once Mike SEAY in CS gets them.
I am going to stay ontop of this return and make sure it does!
Keep up the good work and let us know your final results.
E

Got a chance this morning to run a few more tests loads with the RDF. I shot 4 groups working with results from last trip. I shot 2 shots then moved on to next load. Then came back for the 3rd in each. I think I softened up on the top middle dot with the 2 low. The 3rd was in the dot.
The bottom middle and right were the same load except for primers. I had been using Federal up to now. Winchester did ok. They chrono'ed pretty close but shifted some. At 2.890 OL, I'm .055 off the lands. I'm going to do 5 shot groups next trip and try them at 300 if I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,886
Thanks for the update. If anyone else has some pics of groups and data it would be helpful.

Berger doesn't sell Blems. They recycle them.

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I was trying to get the 6.5mm, 140 gr RDF to shoot out of my 260 Rem. I have an awesome load using the Sierra Matchking bu wanted something wirh better ballistic coefficient.

The load I ended up with for the RDFs seemed like it wanted to shoot but it just wasn't consistent. I did some measurements on a sampling of the RDF bullets and found a lot of variation. The measurements I made were:

-- bullet base to tip. ( I realize this can vary quite a bit )
-- bullet base to ogive using a bullet comparitor
-- bullet base to seating stem contact point using the seating stem out of Redding Comp
-- bullet tip to boattail using bullet comparitor.

All of these dimensions varied quite a bit and they didn't track each other. I'm wondering if these dimensional variations are the problem with inconsistent accuracy I was seeing.

I just picked up some 130 RDF bullets to try in the Creed, I am thinking 130's may work well with the small case, at least comparable out to 600 or so.
As far as a Big game bullet, I will have to read of them doing well on MANY head before I try that. I don't think the point is designed for that, I do know that many who used the Berger make sure the hollow point is open as they are supposed to be as they come from Berger, RDF hole is too small for that, I am skeptical but looking forward to see how they do at the range.

Back