264 WM/120g NBT water jug results

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
I am using the 120g NBT with 64g H4831 for a velocity of 3200fps.

I wanted to see how well the 120g NBT would hold up at an impact of 3000fps so I lined up 8 milk jugs filled with water at 100 yards.

The first shot blasted through 3 of the jugs before stopping in the 4th. The lead core did seperate from the jacket but was found in the jug as well, it weighed 58g. Expansion was probly 2x original diameter.

The second shot again blasted through 3 jugs before stopping in the 4th. Again, lead core did seperate and fall out, this one weighed 62g, again expansion was 2x original diameter.

So, what I'm lookign at is 50% weight retention, and 4 jugs of penetration at 100 yards with an impact velocity of 3000fps. Pretty typical on the weight retention and expansion part of the NBTs in my experience.

I"ll get some pics up a little later.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. What made you decide to use 100 yards as your distance to test the bullet?
I have a load worked up now for a 130 grain bonded bullet for my 264 WSM that I hope to test in the next week to see what happens. This load is traveling a little over 3300 fps. Will be interesting to see if there is much difference in the number of jugs it penetrates and what retained weight is. I was planning on using a shorter distance to shoot into the jugs to make sure I don't miss! :lol:

Jorey, that is GREAT data buddy! That 264WM is brutal on bullets. I ran a 130gr AB into water jugs at about 20 yards at nearly 3400. They bullet peeled back well and probably retained about half. Glad you see you testing out those BT's. They are some awesome deer/goat bullets for sure. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of them. Scotty

257 Ackley":20sno21q said:
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. What made you decide to use 100 yards as your distance to test the bullet?
I have a load worked up now for a 130 grain bonded bullet for my 264 WSM that I hope to test in the next week to see what happens. This load is traveling a little over 3300 fps. Will be interesting to see if there is much difference in the number of jugs it penetrates and what retained weight is. I was planning on using a shorter distance to shoot into the jugs to make sure I don't miss! :lol:

Joel, I can't wait to see how this comes out. I would imagine setting up at 100 is a little less stressful to the bullet and allows it to really stabilize better, but for me, setting them up close is the real torture test. Looking forward to seeing what those Swifts do. Wonder if they will hold up better than the AB's? Scotty

That is a massive impact velocity for the BT. The performance sounds more than adequate for game.

beretzs":1aembyph said:
257 Ackley":1aembyph said:

Joel, I can't wait to see how this comes out. I would imagine setting up at 100 is a little less stressful to the bullet and allows it to really stabilize better, but for me, setting them up close is the real torture test. Looking forward to seeing what those Swifts do. Wonder if they will hold up better than the AB's? Scotty

Scott -
My big concern being that far out is the work to align them all up so the bullet doesn't slip out the side of the jug when I get to #6... :p :wink:

Jorey

Thanks for sharing the test results of the 264 120 gr BT.
I am thinking that it is a tough little bullet. The picture will be good to see.

I am planning on testing both the 120 gr BT and the 130 gr AB in water jugs at 300 yds with the 6.5mm Rem Mag.

JD338

Joel, I imagine with a cell phone and a good mate on the range, you can get them lined up decent enough to grab it. I would bet you will need 6 jugs to insure you capture it. I haven't seen a mushroomed Swift from any of you all, so I am looking forward to it.

We used 2 liter coke bottles yesterday and they seem to be tougher skinned than milk jugs. Either way, we still dug a 243 100gr PT out of my sons rifle from them and again, it was a perfect PT. The wife shot my 338WM with the 250gr PT into the jugs and AGAIN, it was perfect. Everytime, it is the same deal.

Jim, I am looking forward to seeing what they do out at 300. They might be a little below warp speed at that range and really look nice. I know putting a board up behind the jugs insures I will catch the bullet. Hate not grabbing the bullet when I go through the work of shooting them! Scotty

I am going up north this weekend for a family get-together and will have lots of space to set up some jugs and do the tests. I am telling everyone to save all milk jugs that get emptied this week so there will be plenty to use. I plan on testing both the 130 AB and Scirocco. Will be interesting to see the difference, if there is any. I am going to try a Berger VLD as well to see what that does.

Guess I better get some ammo loaded!

That should be excellent. Just shooting jugs is a blast. It does keep the kids and heck, even the wife interested in shooting. Kinda changes stuff up to keep them interested. Scotty

257 Ackley":2rh2vvhj said:
Did you get any video of your bride shooting the big 250 into those?

I will look Joel. Gotta take some pictures of stuff and see what video I have. I am pretty sure I have some. She also shot the 200gr Silvertip from the 358 in jugs as well. Scotty

beretzs":3cvvy826 said:
257 Ackley":3cvvy826 said:
Did you get any video of your bride shooting the big 250 into those?
She also shot the 200gr Silvertip from the 358 in jugs as well. Scotty

Great...that is what I want to see is one of those silvertips all mushroomed out!! I have never recovered one from a deer.

I am uploading the videos right now buddy! I can't find the dang bullet to take a picture of it, but I think the video shows a good close up of it. Scotty

I just went threw them. I posted the video, and you can see it pretty clearly on there as well. I am sure it is around or in something though. It is perfect though. Love those 35's! Scotty

I have tested the 120 gr ballistic tip on deer out of my 6.5X55 Swede at 3000 fps muzzle velocity. Inside 200 yards if it enters a shoulder it usually does not exit but the jacket and sometimes some lead in the jacket will be found just under the hide on the off side. Beyond 200 yards it usually exits. Most of the time the deer drop in their tracks if not they don't go but just a few steps.

I have tested the 130 AccuBond out of my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps muzzle velocity on deer. I just started using it year before last so I only have shot 5 deer with it. From 80 out to 250 yards on broad side shots through the shoulders I have not recovered a bullet out of 4 deer shot. I did recover one bullet from a buck at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet entered front edge of the left scapula smashing it to bits and made soup out of the vitals and was recovered in the right ham when cutting up the meat. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. All deer were BANG FLOP.

Both bullets are extremely accurate.

Both 120g NBT bullets were found in 4th milk jug at 100 yards with an impact velocity of right around 3000fps. Muzzle velocity was 3200fps from a 264 WM. Bullets weighed 58g and 62g with some change, average out to be around 50% weight retention which isnt to bad at all.

I chose 100 yards simply because I wanted to see what I could expect penetration/weight retention wise at the advertised maximum impact velocity of 3000fps. On top of that, I hunt very open country where shots usually start around 200 and go from there, so I dont need an extremely tough bullet.

28be6ix.jpg

33zbm1w.jpg

4llrf9.jpg

DrMike":wl6wgk87 said:
They look like deer stoppers. Good show.

I am with Mike, they look excellent for smacking deer.

Jorey, have you tried to run any Retumbo with the 120's. It seems to really work well with the 130's at around 3300+ outta my rifle. Scotty

Back