130 Accubond and Scirocco tests

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Had a chance to test these bullets today. Caliber is 264 WSM, muzzle velocity was 3325, shot into water jugs at 50 yards.

130 AccuBond was found in the 4th jug, weighed 73.6 grains and measured .451
005-3.jpg

006-3.jpg

015-1.jpg

130 Scirocco was found in the 5th jug, weighed 110.2 grains and measured .515
009-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

That is pretty good performance on either bullet. I'm somewhat surprised at the deeper penetration and greater expansion of the Scirocco. It would be interesting to see if that is consistent.

Very nice Joel! That Scirocco looks like a major player. That is some excellent weight retention for sure. Wow, what a great looking bullet. Scotty

DrMike":k85106vi said:
That is pretty good performance on either bullet. I'm somewhat surprised at the deeper penetration and greater expansion of the Scirocco. It would be interesting to see if that is consistent.

When I did the same test in my 264 WM both did 5 jugs and the bullets looked similar but at the somewhat lower velocities (3150-3200 fps) they had wider mushrooms and a bit more weight.

Recovered from a mountain goat in 2009
Impact velocity 3100+ fps 113.6 gr (87.4%) .688" diameter.

P1000110.jpg

Gerry -
after seeing your bullet, it tells me how much of a torture test the water filled milk jugs are. That is a good looking bullet.

Surprising results.
I would have thought the AB would have penetrated deeper than the Scirocco.

JD338

Jim -
When there are more jugs in the "fold", I will run the test again. I was surprised as well.

JD338":zmzx07ed said:
Surprising results.
I would have thought the AB would have penetrated deeper than the Scirocco.

JD338

I think you have a trade off (that works both ways), the AB sheared off the front and lost alot of weight, but also lost quite alot of frontal area. The Swift kept a bunch of weight, aiding penetration, but kept a bigger front which would slow it down a little faster... Seems like they are both pretty danged good bullets. I would imagine if you did the tests enough, they would come out about the same... Scotty

Back